21 Jan, 2008, drrck wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was just wondering what method was best for representing the wilderness between towns and other significant areas semi-graphically (ASCII minimap), with different characters representing different terrain types (~ for water, ^ for mountain, and so on). Each "room" would have an x and y coordinate, but would not be instantiated like normal. Instead, each player would have a wilderness pointer within their struct that gets pointed to an instantiated room that is altered on the fly as they move around. That part I have figured out, at least. What I'm confused about is how to store/retrieve all the room information (including ASCII map). Any tips would be appreciated.
21 Jan, 2008, mactorg wrote in the 2nd comment:
well I have a good system. using 52 differnet ansi characters. but only so so many types but with different colors.

http://www.darkemud.com/banner2.jpg

it is used in my sig on most systems.

but I can give you a list if needed.
21 Jan, 2008, drrck wrote in the 3rd comment:
mactorg said:
well I have a good system. using 52 differnet ansi characters. but only so so many types but with different colors.

http://www.darkemud.com/banner2.jpg

it is used in my sig on most systems.

but I can give you a list if needed.

I appreciate the offer, but I was looking for an explanation as to how you store the room information, not a list of characters.
21 Jan, 2008, mactorg wrote in the 4th comment:
oh, ok. originally I had one file that was 2000x1000 and was 2megs in size but changed that to 100x100 segments and the files are read into memory as players enter that zone.

now I use the letters a-z and A-Z and 0-9. so I have 52 charcters for terrain types. so here is a little snip of the data file:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoowwccFFFFFFFFFhMM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoowccFFFFFFFFFhhMMh
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoowcFFFFFFFFFFhMMMhF
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooowcFFFFFFFFFFhMMhhFF
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooowcFFFFFFFFFhhMMhFFFF
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoowwcFFFFFFFFFhMMMMhFFFF
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooowccFFFFFFFFFhMMMMhFFFFF

this is my terrain legend:

A Glass desert
a savannah
B Rough/broken
b bog/swamp
C coast - rocky
c coast - sandy
D desert - heath
d dunes
E High Desert
e Thermal zone (like yellowstone)
F forest heavy mixed
f forest light mixed
G Glacier
g grass lands
H hills
h forest hills
I ice Mountains
i ice fields
J Jungle Heavy
j Jungly light
K Gorge
k Bamboo forest
L lake
l marsh
M Mountains
m Gigantica Deciduous Tree Forest
N Gigantica Evergreen Tree Forest
n Blight
O Open ocean
o shallow ocean
P Peak
p plains
Q Top of bute or cliff top (plato)
q Bute slope or cliff slope
R Water Fall
r river
S Forest - deciduous trees
s Forest - evergreen trees
T Tundra - Mountains
t Tundra - plains
U Vally - Glacier made type
u River Delta
V Volcano
v lava river
W mixed woodland and grass fields
w shallow coastal waters
X Old lava beds
x Slate heath
Y Village size area
y Town size area
Z City Size area
z Farm land

now for are mineral types we have a script that will read in the terrain value and then based on that give a number that it puts into a 100x100 file that overlays the map.db file.
this is the same for woods and herbs and so on.

this help?
0.0/4