16 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Who here codes personal projects while at work? Just curious how many people are working on their MUDs while sitting at work. lol Yes, this post was posted due to having nothing to do at this second while at work.. Damn older nodes and not liking 2gb CFs.

Now let us see if I got the poll right. :p
16 Jan, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
I do. :P Not often, but I have.
16 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
I do, but only when I have nothing else to do. Given that I rarely have nothing else to do while at work, I rarely do my own stuff while at work – unless I'm explicitly taking a break from work, which I do twice a day for ~15 minutes.
16 Jan, 2008, Justice wrote in the 4th comment:
Heh, I code from "work" all the time. Although since I work for myself, it's really not a big deal.
16 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
Sorry, had to choose the third option myself as I'm more or less self-employed and thus all my "work" qualifies as personal projects.. :wink:

Ah, I see that Justice is also in that same boat. Perhaps he was the other who choose that option. :smile:
16 Jan, 2008, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
I've been known to write code while at work, though I end up having to cart it home on a USB stick since the network nazis ( Oi, did I say it? ) are watching our every move these days. Cygwin has become banned unless your job entails software development, so I can't even use that anymore.
16 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 7th comment:
Actually I chose the Other Option due to the fact I don't have a job so…… lol
16 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 8th comment:
Well, believe me, plenty of folks out there equate self-employment with unemployment, so.. :wink: :lol:
16 Jan, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 9th comment:
Samson said:
I've been known to write code while at work, though I end up having to cart it home on a USB stick since the network nazis ( Oi, did I say it? ) are watching our every move these days. Cygwin has become banned unless your job entails software development, so I can't even use that anymore.

I just end up using PuTTy and coding right on my server. I'm head of security at work, so if someone notices I have PuTTy or SSH open it'll look normal.
16 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
You know, it's thread like this that make admins and managers want to put in all those pesky impediments in the first place. :wink:
16 Jan, 2008, Justice wrote in the 11th comment:
That's rather amusing Conner, because legally speaking we are unemployed. I prefer to tell people that I'm self-employed since "unemployed" tends to make people think you're living off welfare or someone else. Can't say that all of my projects are personal though, since the work is for a client. I simply have the option to choose not to accept a client project. My friends think it's funny as all hell when my client calls me up and I'm like… well, sorry but I'm getting drunk today, so I can't work on that… and i'm not sure you want me to with the state I'm in. (insert slur where appropriate)
17 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 12th comment:
Justice said:
That's rather amusing Conner, because legally speaking we are unemployed. I prefer to tell people that I'm self-employed since "unemployed" tends to make people think you're living off welfare or someone else. Can't say that all of my projects are personal though, since the work is for a client. I simply have the option to choose not to accept a client project. My friends think it's funny as all hell when my client calls me up and I'm like… well, sorry but I'm getting drunk today, so I can't work on that… and i'm not sure you want me to with the state I'm in. (insert slur where appropriate)

You have a point, but the IRS certainly doesn't consider us unemployed. And, yes, there are plenty of my projects that aren't personal, but most of them don't involve coding for me. *shrug*
Oh no, you don't really tell then that, do you? :lol: I mean, there are so many other ways to say it and make it sound ..well, better than that. :lol: "I'm sorry <insert client name>, I won't be working on that project today because I've got meetings scheduled all day, but I'll be sure to make it a priority for tomorrow." :wink:
17 Jan, 2008, Vladaar wrote in the 13th comment:
I don't actually log into anything at work, because the network is monitored. However, I post the crap out of my forums when I'm bored. I have also tried using a template I print off to write out room descriptions for areas when I'm bored.

Vladaar
17 Jan, 2008, Davion wrote in the 14th comment:
I don't have access to a PC from work so I guess I can't… could always do it on my blackberry though, I suppose. That'd kinda get annoying though.
18 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 15th comment:
I don't think the idea was that you had to, Davion, just that the OP was curious how many of us did. ;)
20 Jan, 2008, Justice wrote in the 16th comment:
Heh, the IRS doesn't care about employment, they care about income. They don't care if it's a paycheck, gift, or prize… the bastards.

And yes, I really do tell them that, depends on the client though. If it's one of my primary clients, they don't care. Hell, on occasion they're the ones getting me drunk.

Conner said:
You have a point, but the IRS certainly doesn't consider us unemployed. And, yes, there are plenty of my projects that aren't personal, but most of them don't involve coding for me. *shrug*
Oh no, you don't really tell then that, do you? :lol: I mean, there are so many other ways to say it and make it sound ..well, better than that. :lol: "I'm sorry <insert client name>, I won't be working on that project today because I've got meetings scheduled all day, but I'll be sure to make it a priority for tomorrow." :wink:
21 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 17th comment:
Re: The IRS; amen to that..

I suppose as long as you've got that level of personal relationship with them, I can see it, but I can't imagine telling a new client that you've barely established yourself with something like that.
0.0/17