10 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
If you chose 'Other' I'd like to know what race you like most and if it's an uncommon one some information on it would be nice as well. If you chose 'Dragon' I'd like to know what type of Dragon you like.

It would be nice overall just to see why you chose what you chose anyway.
10 Jan, 2008, Jamdog wrote in the 2nd comment:
Elf has always been my favourite, and if it's an option, I usually choose it for my characters.
The others do have some nice abilities though, and I think Fey is one of the most versatile for players. They are fast, hard to hit, strongly magical, and fly (using less 'moves'), although the downside being weak physically, and low armor. I just don't want to be one… :biggrin:
10 Jan, 2008, Vladaar wrote in the 3rd comment:
I go back and forth as to what is my favorite. If a game is balanced in power it doesn't matter what you like or choose.

We strive to keep our game balanced in power for races/classes/mobs, etc….

Vladaar
10 Jan, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 4th comment:
Well, this would be easy to decide if it was based around one game.. Since a fantasy came can turn these races into whatever they want it really comes down to the game I'm playing…

Also, people like to make their own races sometimes when they're creative enough to follow through with background and whatever it kind of makes this a hard poll to vote on much less create. :(

Though, I think I picked Drow.. Because it's fun being evil.
11 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
I choose ogre because you didn't have half- choices available and since the specific game hasn't been established for this poll (clearly it's not stock smaug or there'd have been gith), I went based off of D&D races.
11 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 6th comment:
They are just random races deciding on what to add/keep or take out.
11 Jan, 2008, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
I've always been partial to dragons, of the classic medieval type anyway. I never did care for the Chinese dragon style.
11 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 8th comment:
Chinese Dragons are more like Large Worms with a face if you ask me.
11 Jan, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 9th comment:
Drow!
12 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
The Chinese style of dragons are more like sea serpents in my mind, definitely not what first comes to mind or me when someone mentions dragons. *shrug*
12 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
<soapbox>
I wonder to what extent the perception of 'dragon' here has been influenced by the classic D&D image of dragons. It would be rather interesting to look back at how medieval dragons were depicted. I think it's a little misleading to say that our D&D view of dragons is the "classic medieval" depiction because it very well might not be… having all been "brought up" in the D&D (and similar) culture it's easy to think of that stuff as the "classic" but if you look at it, things like goblins and trolls are thought of extremely differently in other cultures – and I use that term loosely since it is not meant to suggest occidental vs. oriental, but just how different people think about the creatures. Just look at how Tolkien and D&D differ on e.g. trolls. (And then look at how different people interpret the term 'goblin' – it's not some dinky little critter for a lot of people.)
</soapbox>
12 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Here's an interesting citation:
The Latin word for a dragon, draco (genitive: draconis), actually means snake or serpent, emphasizing the European association of dragons with snakes, not lizards or dinosaurs as they are commonly associated with today.

Found here.

Although I can't vouch for the authority this site in particular, it's easily verifiable that draco in Latin does indeed mean snake/serpent.
12 Jan, 2008, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
Ok, fair enough, David, so let me be blunt about it, who among us, when someone mentions "Dragons" doesn't immediately think of something akin to this:
12 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
"Blunt"? :thinking: Well, anyhow, my point was that it is not necessarily accurate to claim that that depiction is what should be called "classic medieval". In fact, that depiction is, if I remember correctly, archetypical of the D&D tradition as it is the title image in one of their dragon books. Just because it's a classic image to some people (I include myself in that group) doesn't give us the right to call it the classic standard for everybody else…
12 Jan, 2008, Darwin wrote in the 15th comment:
My vision of dragons doesn't include any kind of "humanoid" reptile that is wielding a weapon. They are large, winged, scaley and breathe fire. The image posted by Connor isn't the most accurate vision of a dragon that comes to my mind.
More like this one:
http://www.crystalinks.com/dragon.gif
(Didn't want to hotlink the image.)
12 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 16th comment:
We could just say the picture that Conner used is a variation of the classical dragon for MUD's but not the classical dragon for everything else.
12 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
Yeah, Darwin's image is closer to what I would consider the classic D&D dragon (and what I personally think of when I think "dragon"). But Conner's is close enough. IIRC, it's an image from a D&D setting where dragons are the primary PC race … just can't remember the campaign name. Dragon-something. (as you might have guessed :tongue:)
12 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 18th comment:
Oh, I just checked out Darwin's picture myself. I like that picture better actually as well but still like I said. They are both variations of the classical D&D Dragon.
12 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 19th comment:
Question - Why the hell does everyone like Drow so much? Is it because they are evil or what?
12 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
I think the Drow look kind of cool, but the fact that they are evil holds no particular value for me. I think it's more than just being evil; there's a host of evil races that aren't as popular. :wink: Not my favorite race, in any case. I think they're a fairly interesting kind of evil, though; they're not "let's go destroy everything" kind of evil. They're more of a "let's work together but I'll stab you in the back at the first opportunity if it is of value to me".
0.0/49