09 Jan, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Okay okay before I get started let me state this, Don't answer this help with switch codebases, or don't use dbsaga codebase shit.

My fighting system is messed up. There is no errors in compiling or anything. Pretty much the problem is there is no PK! at all. Mortals can not pk eachother but immortals can. I even switched the fight.c out with the dbsaga2.5.2 fight.c and the problem still exist. So basicly I need to know how to fix this and where to look.

Edit: The two players start killing eachother, but no damage is done and the fight ends as soon as you type < kill $n Now>. So basicly the fight never starts but it doesn. (if that makes any sense.)

I am using Dbna 1.7 codebase. The fight.c code will be giving upon request if you would like to take a look at it.

Thanks in advance.
09 Jan, 2008, tphegley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Search for the do_kill command and find the ifcheck that shows where only immortals can attack players. If you can, post your do_kill function and we'll be able to figure it out.
09 Jan, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Use gdb, should be pretty easy to tell what is happening.
09 Jan, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 4th comment:
Zeno said:
Use gdb, should be pretty easy to tel what is happening.

its pretty obvious he doesnt know how
09 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
09 Jan, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
kiasyn said:
Zeno said:
Use gdb, should be pretty easy to tel what is happening.

its pretty obvious he doesnt know how

I went with the assumption he knew how to use Google. :)

I would also recommend what David posted though.
09 Jan, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 7th comment:
It would be rather hard for a total noobie to work out even from Nicks rather extensive tutorial on GDB to actually set break points and step through the code with GDB.

Compared to the OP i have infinite more experience in code matters and i still have to look back to Nicks tutorial when i need to do something like that, and then i don't always get it right the first time.
09 Jan, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 8th comment:
Yeah I don't understand how to use GDB but I will take a look at it.
09 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Tommi said:
It would be rather hard for a total noobie to work out even from Nicks rather extensive tutorial on GDB to actually set break points and step through the code with GDB.

Well, it's always good to start somewhere… :wink:

Tommi said:
Compared to the OP i have infinite more experience in code matters

Infinitely more? Now there's a pretty big statement to make. :tongue:
09 Jan, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 10th comment:
Yeah I need to hire a real coder.
09 Jan, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 11th comment:
I would still suggest to learn the basics of programming though, if you are indeed the owner.
09 Jan, 2008, Tommi wrote in the 12th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Tommi said:

Well, it's always good to start somewhere… :wink:

Tommi said:
Compared to the OP i have infinite more experience in code matters

Infinitely more? Now there's a pretty big statement to make. :tongue:

I know it was a big statement, bit hey i dont even concider myself to be the pimple on the backside of a real coder. I think my point was more that asking a total code noob to learn how to use GDB before he even understands anything about code would be a slight waste of time, he is not even going to understand the code he is looking at.

Someone did ask him to post his do_kill function, i think thats a great idea, then those much more knowledgeable can explain some of it so that the OP can get a basic idea and understanding of whats happening there and why.
10 Jan, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
Maybe that's part of the point, though. Playing with this kind of code is not the hardest task in the world, relatively speaking, but everybody needs to understand that it's not the easiest, either. Nick's guide to gdb is very good and gentle. If one doesn't understand the basic concepts in the guide, maybe one should slow down and look somewhere else for projects – maybe one should try to start much smaller, like with hello world type programs, before moving up to MUDs (which are, it should be remembered, while relatively simple, rather large systems).
10 Jan, 2008, blueice wrote in the 14th comment:
i would recommend searching for every instance of stop_fighting and see where and why its being called, dbsaga had something called hardcore, and only players who chose hardcore could pkill. i am guessing there are checks throughout the fight code to prevent pvp when one or both are not hardcore, not sure if thats your problem. if that doesn't work you will have to trace the code starting from void do_kill(), going to violence_update(), and then multi_hit() and damage()
10 Jan, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 15th comment:
Nah, you could PK if you weren't hardcore.
11 Jan, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 16th comment:
I searched the do_kill command and nothing seems off.
11 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 17th comment:
Could you possibly post the command on here?
11 Jan, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 18th comment:
Yes when I get home today or tomorrow I will post it for you.

But on a side note: Would afk mud codebase be a good codebase to convert to dragonball themed?
11 Jan, 2008, Xalin wrote in the 19th comment:
For not being an good coder I would say stick with the current Dragonball Codebases. Converting a codebase from one theme to a totally different type of theme like Dragonball Z takes a lot of knowledge and work.
11 Jan, 2008, Tailsthefox wrote in the 20th comment:
okay, this was kinda for the future plans.
0.0/41