23 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Looking for some advice or food for thought here.

I am currently building on a mud that has no immediate plans to open. I have a new area to start in the next few weeks and am finding it difficult to come up with an all-original idea for it. As any builder knows, after the nth village, city, or town, those type areas get old quickly. Any thoughts on how to come up with new, creative ideas for a new area theme?

It would be so nice if I could present the owners with a spiffy new area as a Christmas present :grinning:
23 Nov, 2007, Asylumius wrote in the 2nd comment:
I haven't written an area in a long time, but I think the biggest source of inspiration and motivation was both playing MUDs and reading books. If fantasy novels are your bag, maybe try starting a good book?

Browsing the web for some fantasy / midievil (or whatever your theme is) artwork might help too.
23 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Is your mud's theme medieval/fantasy? (How restrictive are we talking about here?)
23 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 4th comment:
The theme is medieval/fantasy. As long as the area is not based on an existing book, television program, movie or other work it's acceptable for the most part. All original are the key words here. I think the main problem is the drain on creativity from building and school, which takes a huge amount of my time. Would be great if I could be as creative as Tolkien here, wouldn't it?
23 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
Wow, that's pretty rough, it can't be based on any existing book, TV show, movie, or other work… because it's got to totally original. Does that actually leave any potential themes? Are there still themes that haven't been used somewhere? :sad:
23 Nov, 2007, Hanaisse wrote in the 6th comment:
Personally I think you're just asking for stress if you're working within the key words "all-original". What's wrong with two Gnome areas if they are completely different?

My ideas (currently building 4 unique areas) have come from other muds, other people, everyday life (what if that dog could talk? no, I'm not serious, but…), and of course ideas surrounding the theme of my world. It's not that difficult. Just keep your eyes and ears open for that one thing that has the potential to be unique and intriguing (did that rock just move?).
23 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 7th comment:
Conner said:
Wow, that's pretty rough, it can't be based on any existing book, TV show, movie, or other work… because it's got to totally original. Does that actually leave any potential themes? Are there still themes that haven't been used somewhere? :sad:

That's a good question, Conner. I can usually watch Lord of the Rings or some other fantasy movie or read a good fantasy or medieval book to spark my creativity or offer inspiration. I guess by "all original" I (and the mud administrators) mean the area can't be a blatant copy of an existing area (Smurf village, Midgaard), copy of an existing book or character in a book (The Hobbit, Frodo, etc.), or copy a movie (Lord of the Rings, Terminator, Never Ending Story). That does limit what a builder has to work with, but at the same time it gives the mud something that no other mud has. I can have gnome villages, as many as I'd like. There are no limit to the number of knights, sorcerers, haunted houses, castles, dragons, and related mobs and area themes I can use. It's just sometimes it's so difficult to dig deep and pull out that completely new concept. Not impossible, just difficult at times.

Hanaisse said:
Personally I think you're just asking for stress if you're working within the key words "all-original". What's wrong with two Gnome areas if they are completely different?

Nothing is wrong with that, that's not really what I meant by all original. See my response to Conner above, I think I was better able to explain what "all original" meant. Perhaps I should have just said original?

Hanaisse said:
My ideas (currently building 4 unique areas) have come from other muds, other people, everyday life (what if that dog could talk? no, I'm not serious, but…), and of course ideas surrounding the theme of my world. It's not that difficult. Just keep your eyes and ears open for that one thing that has the potential to be unique and intriguing (did that rock just move?).

I really like those ideas. I think it might be time to take a few long walks, read some books, and watch some good movies. Thanks for the ideas, Hanaisse!
23 Nov, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
Avaeryn said:
As any builder knows, after the nth village, city, or town, those type areas get old quickly.

As a former builder myself I know all too well what getting stuck in a rut is like. Perhaps it's time for something like an underground cave system full of secrets. Or maybe an ice fortress on the tundra ( if you have tundra ) manned by yetis. Maybe your Gnomes need a laboratory full of interesting gadgets - and devious traps and puzzles to keep people away. If you've got so many towns, villages, and cities, perhaps a system of trade routes dotted with inns, taverns, wizards' huts and other small but interesting things along the roads. It might even be time for nothing more than simple fillers between things - although I personally found that to be boring.
23 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 9th comment:
Samson said:
Avaeryn said:
As any builder knows, after the nth village, city, or town, those type areas get old quickly.

As a former builder myself I know all too well what getting stuck in a rut is like. Perhaps it's time for something like an underground cave system full of secrets. Or maybe an ice fortress on the tundra ( if you have tundra ) manned by yetis. Maybe your Gnomes need a laboratory full of interesting gadgets - and devious traps and puzzles to keep people away. If you've got so many towns, villages, and cities, perhaps a system of trade routes dotted with inns, taverns, wizards' huts and other small but interesting things along the roads. It might even be time for nothing more than simple fillers between things - although I personally found that to be boring.

Those are ideas that I had not yet considered. After watching a commercial for Man versus Wild I do have an inkling of an idea similar to the underground cave system that you mentioned. I also love the gnome laboratory idea because it gives me ample opportunity to work with progs to keep the area interactive and fun. My current area is a seafaring village with several secret areas with tricks to keep players happy. I appreciate the response, Samson, as my biggest source of inspiration comes from others. Since the mud is not open I don't have the players for inspiration. So I came here for help.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it really has started to help break the coating of rust around my creativity.
24 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
Very glad to hear it, Avaeryn, for a brief bit there you had me wondering about the sanity level over there. :wink:
24 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 11th comment:
Conner said:
Very glad to hear it, Avaeryn, for a brief bit there you had me wondering about the sanity level over there. :wink:

Heheh I often wonder about the sanity level in many situations, but muds and building have that special level of insanity! :biggrin:

The discussion has been a tremendous help. It has assisted in loosening the rust that seems to inhabit my brain cells at any given point. I think I have an area idea in the works now.

Thanks to everyone for contributing!
24 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 12th comment:
Avaeryn said:
Conner said:

Heheh I often wonder about the sanity level in many situations, but muds and building have that special level of insanity! :biggrin:

The discussion has been a tremendous help. It has assisted in loosening the rust that seems to inhabit my brain cells at any given point. I think I have an area idea in the works now.

Thanks to everyone for contributing!

Well, I can understand that sentiment. :lol:

Good! I'm very glad to hear that, g'luck with it. :smile:
If it helped in anyway, then you're more than welcome for my contribution. :smile:
24 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 13th comment:
Conner said:
Good! I'm very glad to hear that, g'luck with it. :smile:
If it helped in anyway, then you're more than welcome for my contribution. :smile:

You're quite welcome, Conner! I appreciate the positive feedback, support, and ideas from everyone who has replied.

I have decided to move on with the idea for a gnome laboratory. Thank you Samson! As an interesting twist I think I might also include the underground cave system with a stream and other surprises which came from seeing that commercial for Man versus Wild. Bear Grylls hates bats, which I imagine most of us do. Some nasty cave bats, some that have turned rabid…or even vampiric! What really has me excited though are the ideas for the booby traps and gadgets which are really puzzles. I think I might leave missing pieces lying around so adventurers can try to "repair" gadgets that don't work. This might reward them with items that are really weapons, armor, or just for fun.

I have already started research on gnomes. I found one interesting site which said that gnomes lived in tree houses or in hills. Do any of you know of more interesting sites that might yield information on gnomes?
24 Nov, 2007, Hanaisse wrote in the 14th comment:
Wiki's definition: A gnome is a creature characterized by its extremely small size and subterranean free lifestyle.

In other MUD's I've seen Rock Gnomes, Mountain Gnomes, Deep Gnomes, however, since gnomes are ficticious creatures characterized in folklore one has pretty much free creative license over it (Pink and Blue Gnomes! :surprised:). Rather than research and use someone else's interpretation, make it up as you go. The end result will give you that originality you seek.

And you're welcome for the help. :grinning:
25 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 15th comment:
Hanaisse said:
Wiki's definition: A gnome is a creature characterized by its extremely small size and subterranean free lifestyle.

In other MUD's I've seen Rock Gnomes, Mountain Gnomes, Deep Gnomes, however, since gnomes are ficticious creatures characterized in folklore one has pretty much free creative license over it (Pink and Blue Gnomes! :surprised:). Rather than research and use someone else's interpretation, make it up as you go. The end result will give you that originality you seek.

And you're welcome for the help. :grinning:

I appreciate the information. I do tend to make up a major portion of my areas as I go along. I have never been able to effectively design an area on paper then transfer it to the mud via OLC. I have a general idea with important central characters or ideas in mind, the rest is made up on-the-fly as I build. This tends to lend a bit of creativity and originality to the areas I craft.

I have already decided my gnomes will not be living strictly in trees. We, as humans, do not live in one geographic area, so why should gnomes? :wink: Besides, it makes things more interesting if the players never really know *what* to expect, doesn't it? :evil:
25 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
Gnomes live in trees?
25 Nov, 2007, Avaeryn wrote in the 17th comment:
Conner said:
Gnomes live in trees?

Yes, according to this site some do. I still think it makes more sense to have gnomes live in hills or gardens though, but for creative license I think a few might live in trees for the purpose of the area I am building. It is about originality after all :tongue:

Please don't shoot me, Conner!
25 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 18th comment:
Not at all, it was just a totally new one on me. :lol:
But I'd agree, based on the bulk of what other's have dreamt up regarding gnomes, it 'feels' more right to think of them living in hills or gardens, or even little gnome villages. But I suppose there's really no reason why some gnomes might not live in tree houses or some such too. :lol:
25 Nov, 2007, Guest wrote in the 19th comment:
I'll bet nobody thinks of iguanadons ( lizardmen ) as coming from outer space either, but if you'd been there the day we all had the inside joke going you'd know :P
25 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 20th comment:
Well, I know from numerous discussions with you about it, but yeah, case in point . :smile:
0.0/51