02 Jun, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 261st comment:
Votes: 0
@Jeshin

Cheers. Been meaning to add a link to Optional Realities on the Links page, and just did.
02 Jun, 2015, Splork wrote in the 262nd comment:
@jeshin

Agreed!

Plamzi's projects have really led the way these last few years. He has an extremely innovative game, especially when considering the effort put in to allow builders and coders to seamlessly contribute. His client is open-sourced and easily customized to suit whatever type of game you have. The website is under constant development and well maintained.

I really think we need to start taking more advantage of that site. He is obviously extremely talented and dedicated to our hobby, he also listens to his audience which for me is key.

Keep up the good work!
02 Jun, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 263rd comment:
While i like Plamzi's Mud Portal site… tmc is a long standing site, and i always check TMC, then MB and then Mudportal… out of habit. One thing that does annoy me about mudportal is it continually logs me out. all the other sites i visit keep me connected. Personally the best thing about MUDPortal is the client, its far far far more advanced than TMC's, only annoying thing is people use it to circumvent bans, and multiplay using it, if it could somehow forward the original IP address would be PERFECT :)
02 Jun, 2015, Jeshin wrote in the 264th comment:
Technically as a product, the ability to circumvent bans could be viewed as a "feature" of the webclient. I guess it would depend on whether Plamzi is interested in wider user appeal or strengthening relationships with his listed games.
02 Jun, 2015, Splork wrote in the 265th comment:
@Tiger

I check the sites out in the exact same order. I used to rotate Mudlab in there also but that has been dead these past couple of years. TMC is great because of its longevity but these last two years have me a bit worried, I can't help but wonder about its future…

I'm not a fan of the client not sending us the player's home IP address either. We have had the same issues on SlothMUD.
02 Jun, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 266th comment:
its T i j e r - btw. lost count of how many people have misread it as Tiger :P - And tmc client has similar failings as a way to get around bans/multiplay.. was just sayin….
02 Jun, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 267th comment:
Tijer said:
if it could somehow forward the original IP address would be PERFECT :)

Uhm, I thought the portal app sent the original IP in, like, every way anyone ever cared to specify. How does your server expect it to be sent?

To be precise:

* IAC NEW_ENV IP VAR SEND (as IPADDRESS)

* As the last entry in TTYPE values

* MSDP inside CLIENT_IP

* GMCP inside a "client_ip" var

The only thing I'm not seeing is MXP, for which I'm not aware of any standard, but I can easily add it however anyone wants it.
02 Jun, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 268th comment:
I was talking the actual connecting ip…
02 Jun, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 269th comment:
Tijer said:
I was talking the actual connecting ip…

I don't know what you mean exactly. There's no way for me to change the connecting IP to that of the end user. The only way to get the real IP is if users connect directly to your game, but for the web app that would only be possible if your game server supports websockets.

If you're having such serious issues with people circumventing IP bans, there are many options. One is some minimal work on your end to get their actual IP even if they are proxying. Another is to change the method of banning people. IP bans have never in history been a good way to deter abusers.
03 Jun, 2015, fstltna wrote in the 270th comment:
I love that web client too. I have it pointing to my game at empiredirectory.net and it works great!
03 Jun, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 271st comment:
Thank you for the encouraging words, everyone.

One of the aspects of the site that I feel is most under-utilized is games with existing MXP implementations taking advantage of the web app's pretty advanced capabilities. For examples of what can be done with fairly minimal server-side changes, see this: http://www.mudportal.com/play?host=www.a...

If you open the browser console log while playing Aarchon or Bedlam via the web app, you will see a lot of what goes on. There's also comprehensive documentation and example scripts to help you if you wish to customize further. Interesting things you can do include Kongregate user integration, enabling additional plugins like MistyBars and the JujuMapper, etc.

And for those of you who may harbor concerns about the longevity of the portal site (you really shouldn't), the code for the app is open source and on GitHub, so even if the site goes down one day, you can easily move your customizations to your own web app.
03 Jun, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 272nd comment:
not really a major issue.. as i rarely ban people… :)
07 Jun, 2015, Famine wrote in the 273rd comment:
Tijer said:
While i like Plamzi's Mud Portal site… tmc is a long standing site, and i always check TMC, then MB and then Mudportal… out of habit. One thing that does annoy me about mudportal is it continually logs me out. all the other sites i visit keep me connected. Personally the best thing about MUDPortal is the client, its far far far more advanced than TMC's, only annoying thing is people use it to circumvent bans, and multiplay using it, if it could somehow forward the original IP address would be PERFECT :)

But, some of the popular clients support proxies and separate proxies per session. It's actually not a good option to circumvent bans because all it takes is the admin to ban MUDPortal, then you're done.
07 Jun, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 274th comment:
Tijer said:
One thing that does annoy me about mudportal is it continually logs me out. all the other sites i visit keep me connected.

This sounds like a Chrome-specific idle timeout behavior. Should be fixed now.

Famine said:
But, some of the popular clients support proxies and separate proxies per session.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I think that whatever it is, it's not going to work for a web app that runs inside the sandbox that is a person's browser.

Famine said:
…all it takes is the admin to ban MUDPortal, then you're done.

This makes me smile, in a sad way. I provide a free service. It is totally up to MUD admins whether they want to make their games more accessible or not. But in either case, I refuse to feel "done" :)
07 Jun, 2015, Famine wrote in the 275th comment:
plamzi said:
Tijer said:
One thing that does annoy me about mudportal is it continually logs me out. all the other sites i visit keep me connected.

Famine said:
But, some of the popular clients support proxies and separate proxies per session.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I think that whatever it is, it's not going to work for a web app that runs inside the sandbox that is a person's browser.

Famine said:

This makes me smile, in a sad way. I provide a free service. It is totally up to MUD admins whether they want to make their games more accessible or not. But in either case, I refuse to feel "done" :)

I mean, it's MUDPortal's IP that is connecting to the MUD correct? If so, I was meaning, why use MUD Portal to circumvent bans when you can on your MUD client with proxies.
07 Jun, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 276th comment:
Famine said:
I mean, it's MUDPortal's IP that is connecting to the MUD correct? If so, I was meaning, why use MUD Portal to circumvent bans when you can on your MUD client with proxies.

There are multiple ways to circumvent an IP ban from any client, which is why I mentioned a few posts back that they've never been an effective deterrent. Something like locking a player's characters is a lot more efficient and effective.

Connecting through a service like TMC's or TMP's client is only the easiest way to beat an IP ban. And yes, the admin can ban the TMC or TMP IP temporarily to fend off some undersirables until they figure out a more effective way to block them. I just don't see it as in any way a defect of the client that it uses a proxy, especially if it provides servers with means to implement whatever restrictive policies they may want.
07 Jun, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 277th comment:
plamzi said:
Tijer said:

Famine said:

Famine said:

Strangely enough since i posted that i keep getting logged out of the site… its now stopped.. and kept me logged in.. thinking maybe a cookie issue….
07 Jun, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 278th comment:
Tijer said:
Strangely enough since i posted that i keep getting logged out of the site… its now stopped.. and kept me logged in.. thinking maybe a cookie issue….

I think it's the change I made, which prevents disconnects when a socket doesn't respond to a keepalive within a certain time period. Are you located outside of the US by any chance, or have you found the app to be laggy for you lately etc.?
08 Jun, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 279th comment:
UK based… app isnt laggy… :)
260.0/279