19 Apr, 2015, KinkyCode wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello, call me the scrub plebeian new guy with a redundant question, but I don't think stack-overflow would be very welcoming of this kind of format.

So, I have been digging and digging for a "Modern" C++ MUD Code-base, and I have narrowed it down to socketmud0x as a possible Canaanite and am at the point of wondering if anyone has any experience with it first hand?

Some things I like about what I see is it's VERY bare bones, which is exactly what I need. I really just want all the socket stuff out of the way, so I can possibly set up rapidjson or mysql (Undecided on the database I want to use, but I know I want to use one.) and get things going.

So, anyone have experience with it? Recommend any current muds or past muds which made use of it?

How much does it differ from other socketmud iterations?

Thank you all in advance!
19 Apr, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 2nd comment:
KinkyCode said:
So, anyone have experience with it? Recommend any current muds or past muds which made use of it?

I believe the answers to some of your questions are visualized here:

https://github.com/sorressean/socketmud0...

For one, it seems like a relatively new project. For two, a very barebone MUD codebase doesn't seem likely to spawn playable games even with a few years on its back.

At this point in time, modern MUD codebases seem to outnumber modern MUD games by orders of magnitude. That's especially true for barebone codebases. Everyone, including myself, is writing a codebase, and there's really not enough interest from adopters / tinkerers out there to make use of so many.
20 Apr, 2015, KinkyCode wrote in the 3rd comment:
That does indeed seem to be the case. Lastly, It seems I was mistaken about socketmud0x, and thought it could also build on windows….

Guess I am back to the drawing bored…

Looking for a C++ codebase, that can build on windows, and isn't over crowded with fantasy rpg mechanics.
20 Apr, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 4th comment:
I have a vague recollection that there was a Murk++ port somewhere that used to build OK on Win32, but there were some things to do.

If you're just looking to take the tedium out of sockets, then I'm assuming you're a fairly advanced coder so should be able to quickly get the code you need from pretty much any C++ codebase and make it build on windows. I'm not sure that you'll find any codebase that will simply build.

I don't understand the "fantasy" part in "over crowded with fantasy rpg mechanics". Fantasy is a theme, so it takes very little effort to reskin to sci-fi, post-apoc, and whatnot.

I also don't quite understand "rpg". Are you not looking for a codebase that has characters and character progression?

In general, I don't get people only looking for a barebone codebase. If you don't like something, or anything, in a more full-featured one, then take a few minutes and strip it. At least you have an example of what can be done (and how it can be done) with the codebase.
21 Apr, 2015, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
[link=post]70994[/link]
Random Picks
0.0/5