12 Jan, 2015, RoFAdmin wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey Everyone!

Its been forever! I don't know how but through the adventure of life I actually totally forgot about this place. Then the other day I was sitting there working on a project and found myself very disenchanted with the community for the piece of software its being developed in. They are helpful for the most part, but that's about it. If you have a clearly defined problem, with a clear concise answer then great you will get that answer pretty quick. If you are brainstorming, hypothesizing, looking for feedback, discussing more advanced topics, or trying to figure out a new or better way of doing something there is an accepted answer to the only response you get is a sweet serenade of crickets.

So I was sitting there one day pondering various solutions to a system for the project and I thought about making a post on the forums for the software I'm using looking for some input, typed out the post and then had this sequence of thoughts "Well this was a waste of time, I'm going to get 300 views and no ones gonna respond. I wish this place was more like the forums when I was working on MUDs. What was the name of that place? MudBytes, holy crap I haven't been there in forever." So I Immediately popped over here and was delighted to see not only is the site still around, but still seems to be doing well, and has many of the old names and faces around (for better or worse, lol).

So that brings me to my question. The project I'm working on is a multi-player rpg type of game (essentially a 3D MUD). This obviously lends itself to a lot of overlap with MUDs, especially when it comes to the underlying game systems (Procedural Generation, Game Mechanics, etc). Thus my questions is, would it be appropriate/acceptable to post my general questions/disucssion on game systems here as my game is not a MUD in the typical sense, and certainly not related to any existing code base?

Why here?
I think the problem with the other community stems from the fact its commercial software I'm using to make the game and the mind set is if your using this software to make a game you are in someway are or could be competition for the other people on the forums. So while they are helpful in general, the second you touch on territory that starts getting specific in to a particular type of game the people who are knowledge on a subject clam up, or if it doesn't have to do with their game its to far off subject and not worth wasting their time to participate in.

I know the community here likes (or at least did) participating in those theoretical, hypothetical, interesting types of questions on various game systems even when it doesn't pertain to their game, and if it is does people aren't afraid to share ideas or point you in the right direction.

Well, either way Im glad to see this place is still around and doing well.
I'm sure you will see me popping up here and there now that I remembered this place again.
13 Jan, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 2nd comment:
RoFAdmin said:
Thus my questions is, would it be appropriate/acceptable to post my general questions/disucssion on game systems here as my game is not a MUD in the typical sense, and certainly not related to any existing code base?

I'd say go for it. I mostly care to discuss atypical MUDs. And while I've gotten people who get hung up on definitions, no-one has ever suggested that I go elsewhere.
13 Jan, 2015, RoFAdmin wrote in the 3rd comment:
That is pretty much what I figured. Had this been 4 years ago when I was last around I probably would of just started posting questions. With being gone so long however I didn't know if what was "acceptable" then was acceptable now.

How is your game going PlamI? If i remember correct you had just got it rolling not to long before I made my departure from here.
0.0/3