19 Apr, 2014, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I know some folks here have played RP mushes/muxes. I'm looking for a codebase like that, but hopefully newer (not C/C++). Any ideas?
19 Apr, 2014, Ssolvarain wrote in the 2nd comment:
IRC? :tongue:
19 Apr, 2014, Thjalfa wrote in the 3rd comment:
It's simple to add social or system like:

'Hello
Thjalfa says "Hello"

+drinks ice tea
Thjalfa drinks ice tea

(…imagine you don't have a social "ice tea". I think I will code it now!)
Maybe you can display the "actions" (like +drinks) in a different color and smaller than "speech" (like 'Hello).

If you really want non-text emoticons, you need a proper client…
19 Apr, 2014, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
Traditionally, the TinyMUSH/MUX or PennMUSH codebases tend to favor chat/emotes/RP over combat. If you pick one that uses MUSH softcode, you probalby wont' have to do much beyond compile the driver and then learn the softcode (forth based?)

Or, download a simple chat server in perl/python/ruby and modify it to add emotes and social commands.
19 Apr, 2014, Idealiad wrote in the 5th comment:
I'm familiar with the Tinys. I was hoping for something more along the lines of your latter suggestion. For example I found this interesting codebase a while back, https://github.com/voneiden/ropeclient . But I am looking for something more mud-like and less IRC-like.
19 Apr, 2014, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
Well…
TeensyMud has emotes, and you can build a grid online.

Also Mangled mud is a complete translation of TinyMud to Ruby.

I thought pretty muds all muds had emote.
20 Apr, 2014, Idealiad wrote in the 7th comment:
Wow, nice link to Mangled. That's cool.

Yeah of course I know of Teensy, I guess I've never thought of it as a game-making platform because I've never heard of people using it, but in retrospect that's a rather silly assumption :).
20 Apr, 2014, Tyche wrote in the 8th comment:
TeensyMud is similar to TinyMud, just rooms, exits, and objects. No mobiles.
Although the two games I know of that were based on it were HnS, Zombie Nation Mud and ChuchoMud.
ZNMud is in the repository here. It certainly has more stuff.
21 Apr, 2014, Brinson wrote in the 9th comment:
I would say moo because regular players can code their own socials, or objects that interact with socials. It would be fairly easy for even a new player to create an item and then add 20-30 socials based on that item. If they then gave that item to another user, the other user would be able to use them. Most of the game is created in the moo language that is also the scripting engine so there is almost no limit to what kind of custom things people can create.
22 Apr, 2014, Griatch wrote in the 10th comment:
You could also look into Evennia (full disclosure: I'm the lead developer). Evennia has talker-level functionality out of the box (including a basic emote command). It is a Python mu* creation system and the documentation includes a tutorial for how to start building your own mush-like game too.
Griatch
22 Apr, 2014, Idealiad wrote in the 11th comment:
I'll be honest – Evennia scares me. I've been following its progress for a long time. It seems really over- and confusingly- engineered. Functionality cuts across modules, and it looks like it has a lot of moving parts. Other than saying that's just lack of familiarity (which don't get me wrong, is a valid defense! :) ), how does one make the case for Evennia?
25 Apr, 2014, Nathan wrote in the 12th comment:
You're not likely to find something "newer" that's well developed. Unless things that are 5-10 years old count.

Idealiad said:
I'll be honest – Evennia scares me. I've been following its progress for a long time. It seems really over- and confusingly- engineered. Functionality cuts across modules, and it looks like it has a lot of moving parts. Other than saying that's just lack of familiarity (which don't get me wrong, is a valid defense! :) ), how does one make the case for Evennia?

I find both Evennia and CoffeeMUD daunting. Taking one look at the code is enough to cause distress. They just seem overbuilt and heavy from the outside. Having a codebase that doesn't require extra dependencies or suffer from apparent sprawl. Granted I've only seen a little of the code, but it's a little hard to grasp how they work or where to begin.
05 Jun, 2014, bozimmerman wrote in the 13th comment:
Overbuilt? After 14 years of constantly adding stuff, that's very fair to say. But brother, you aint seen nothin' yet! ;)

Nathan said:
You're not likely to find something "newer" that's well developed. Unless things that are 5-10 years old count.

Idealiad said:

I find both Evennia and CoffeeMUD daunting. Taking one look at the code is enough to cause distress. They just seem overbuilt and heavy from the outside. Having a codebase that doesn't require extra dependencies or suffer from apparent sprawl. Granted I've only seen a little of the code, but it's a little hard to grasp how they work or where to begin.
05 Jun, 2014, Kelvin wrote in the 14th comment:
If we're talking about an RPI game, to what extent do we care about the codebase as long as we can toss a few extra custom commands in there as needed? Evennia has detailed documentation on adding commands, and I'm sure it's not too difficult to implement a +drink command in CoffeeMUD. We on MudBytes have a tendency to get too hung up on geeking out over codebases, when it's mostly just a question of ergonomics and preference.

It really all comes down to a simple choice of approach:

Do you want to write your +drink in-game with softcode? Check out PennMUSH/RhostMUSH/MUX/LP/MOO.
Do you want to write your +drink command with a full-fledged external programming language? Check out Evennia, CoffeeMUD, or any number of others.

If you have trouble with your choice of codebase, consult the community built around it. All of the codebases I listed above are well-established, very actively maintained, and have communities in which you expect to get questions answered.
0.0/14