20 Feb, 2014, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
What are some 'big ideas' you've had for your codebase or that you've seen explored?

Some background for this question:

While I was browsing for Java mud codebases I found this one,

http://momoko.sourceforge.net/index.php

Momoko is an environment for building environments. It uses modular components and transparently distributes objects over multiple servers. All of the source code is editable remotely via WebDAV. The build process can be triggered remotely by logging into the shell via telnet and running ant. Multiple languages are supported for writing object behaviours.

Momoko has facilities for running modular services, orthogonal persistence, transparent distributed objects, and organizing objects into tree-based hierarchies which can be distributed over multiple processes and machines.

Basically, this started as a MOO/Cold-like and the developer turned it up to 11. They never exactly shippedthis codebase…but I have to hand it to them for thinking big.

I'd put Godwars 2 coordinate system in this category. I think even the mythical Physmud qualifies – it still was an idea after all.

Some people say that ideas are a dime a dozen, but I feel like good and bold ideas are rarer than that.
20 Feb, 2014, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
Idealiad said:
I'd put Godwars 2 coordinate system in this category.

I'd consider the two big ones to be the world system (which includes the coordinate-based movement) and the combat system. I actually developed and released a prototype codebase to test out the combat system before I even completed the initial design for the MUD - the combat system was such an integral part of the game that I needed to be sure it would work before anything else could be finalised, and that meant trying it out.

I was much more confident about the world system because I'd already implemented something along similar lines in the past (I just hadn't taken it as far), and there were several examples on Mud-Dev (such as Physmud, which was my main source of inspiration) that showed the concept could work. However God Wars II does also support room-based movement (a Room Thing), which was added for early testing, and left in as a fall-back in case the coordinate-based system didn't work out. The early version of the world system actually had quite a few problems, for example the first implementation of terrain had to be scrapped and completely redesigned.
20 Feb, 2014, plamzi wrote in the 3rd comment:
Idealiad said:
What are some 'big ideas' you've had for your codebase or that you've seen explored?

They never exactly shippedthis codebase…but I have to hand it to them for thinking big.

Does it work? If it does, does it make a difference?

I think that's what separates big ideas like the Hindenburg from great ideas like the Internet.
20 Feb, 2014, Davenge wrote in the 4th comment:
I dunno how "big" this is. However, I'm attempting to build a codebase now that uses three dimensional coordinate mapping and destructible structures. This is to support flying in a free-world type design. The game that is looking to be designed with this code is a DBZ theme and as you can imagine, there is a lot of flying in DBZ. So, my walls and characters have to have height, I need ceilings and floors, and shapes. It's coming along.
0.0/4