11 Nov, 2007, lspiderl wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok so ive been out of the game for a while ( doing the whole life thing) that said a friend is pulling me back into the mud world again and well my building skillz need some serious dusting off

that said i need to find a solid codebase with realy easy clear building ability ( that doesnt require a coder to understand )

but it also has to be flexible codewise so our coders can do some fun things with it as well

so hit me with your suggestions of codes and why please
11 Nov, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
Smaug. Because I'm biased. :P
11 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
SmaugFUSS seems, to me, to meet what you're looking for, it's what I've used for my mud (with heavy modifications) for the last few years now. You can check it out, along with its support community at http://www.smaugmuds.org/ if you'd like.
11 Nov, 2007, lspiderl wrote in the 4th comment:
cool im game for anything
i know in the past ive used rom, circle merc and many others not sure if smaug was amongst them

i havent done any building or mudding since the dbx code base boom days so only time will tell lol
11 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
Well, there are certainly some folks here who'd recommend circle or rom, or even tiny over smaug, but you will definitely find a predomince of smaug users here, which could just indicate that smaug has a feature set that the majority like better, or it could be taken to indicate that the majority of the folks here happen to be folks who prefer smaug, or it could be interpretted to mean.. something else. :wink:
11 Nov, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
Most of the Diku trees that have OLC should be fine. The more common the codebase, usually the wider the documentation, so that should go a long way toward being able to get along well enough without a coder. I'd personally recommend ROM, mostly because that's what I use and find a lot of ease using it and finding documentation for it. Circle might not be a bad choice, either, due to the Building Academy and such, which I believe uses Circle to teach.

Also, I'm not trying to be mean, but you might find people taking you more seriously (as a builder especially) if you'll be a bit more careful with your grammar and such. Builders tend to be writers at heart, and decent punctuation tends to reflect better. Of course, I'm no expert myself, but it's just something to think about :)

Either way, hope you find something that works for you!
11 Nov, 2007, lspiderl wrote in the 7th comment:
my typing and gramar are accualy addressed in lentgh in this thread here http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...

i suffer a condition called dyslexic dysgraphia and while when i realy focus i can usualy catch and correct most mistakes ( and im a real nit picker about it when building ) i tend to not want to go through all the effort it requires when simply posting on forums as it involveds reading and rereading numerous times and a lot of other head aches

that said as to the primary topic of discussion my biggest thing is this . I want to be able to bring amazing and fun zones to a world that are colorfull w/o being brash and while full of interesting places arnt overwhelming with detail

esspcecialy main cities
theres nothing i find more annoying that a main city thats an absolute maze where new players get lost hopelessly te moment they enter it

so w/e i use i want the accual task of building to be easy so i can focus more ont eh layout and the descrips etc

as well as making item and mob creation jsut as simple

as far as rom int eh past ive always found rom to be limiting but its been a while so a lot could have changed since then .

i usualy loved circle but the versions i always used were heavily modified so im not sure whats standard and whats not

and smaug well id love to get a rundown of how building on smaug works and such so if you all have any like command lists/tutorials you could point me to that would be great
11 Nov, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 8th comment:
11 Nov, 2007, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
lspiderl said:
that said as to the primary topic of discussion my biggest thing is this . I want to be able to bring amazing and fun zones to a world that are colorfull w/o being brash and while full of interesting places arnt overwhelming with detail esspcecialy main cities theres nothing i find more annoying that a main city thats an absolute maze where new players get lost hopelessly te moment they enter it so w/e i use i want the accual task of building to be easy so i can focus more ont eh layout and the descrips etc as well as making item and mob creation jsut as simple as far as rom int eh past ive always found rom to be limiting but its been a while so a lot could have changed since then . i usualy loved circle but the versions i always used were heavily modified so im not sure whats standard and whats not and smaug well id love to get a rundown of how building on smaug works and such so if you all have any like command lists/tutorials you could point me to that would be great

Check out the Smaug Builders Institute at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org/sbi/wiki/index.p... it gives you a link to a MUD were you can login and start building, I believe, as well as references for commands. Save you the time of having to compile and run it on your own.
11 Nov, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 10th comment:
lspiderl said:
my typing and gramar are accualy addressed in lentgh in this thread here http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...

i suffer a condition called dyslexic dysgraphia and while when i realy focus i can usualy catch and correct most mistakes ( and im a real nit picker about it when building ) i tend to not want to go through all the effort it requires when simply posting on forums as it involveds reading and rereading numerous times and a lot of other head aches

Ah ok, sorry to hear about that :(

It is quite common, though, for builders to post with absolutely horrible grammar and then wonder why no one wants to hire them.

lspiderl said:
theres nothing i find more annoying that a main city thats an absolute maze where new players get lost hopelessly te moment they enter it

Yeah, that can definitely be a bit tiresome. I think map objects made available in the city can definitely help with that.

lspiderl said:
as far as rom int eh past ive always found rom to be limiting but its been a while so a lot could have changed since then .

Unless you are downloading an updated derivative, you'll likely find ROM to be the exact same since the last time you worked with it. Really, it has potential, it just does take some work to make it flexible.
11 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
I'd have suggested the Smaug Building Institute myself (given that I host it, I'm a bit biased toward it), but I was given the impression in the original post that he's got another person involved to serve as co-builder or admin and he's got coders lined up already with the intent to start a new mud.

lspiderl, if you're just looking to get back into building and not necessarily trying to actually start your own mud, shoot me an email with some of your ideas as my mud's always looking for good builders and I understand your situation otherwise completely already. Our theme is very loose but based on medieval/fantasy, it's a big mud that's been established for years though with a relatively small player base (well, only a few very active players but lots of infrequent players) with a small but very tight staff of immortals. While we're always making changes here and there, we're currently making some huge modifications to introduce multiclassing and will very shortly (hopefully) be in need of a massive influx of new areas for the high levels as our current AV areas are going to suddenly become mid-level areas once the multiclassing takes effect.
13 Nov, 2007, lspiderl wrote in the 12th comment:
first off thanks to everyone for your advice and understanding :)

Conner said:
I'd have suggested the Smaug Building Institute myself (given that I host it, I'm a bit biased toward it), but I was given the impression in the original post that he's got another person involved to serve as co-builder or admin and he's got coders lined up already with the intent to start a new mud.

lspiderl, if you're just looking to get back into building and not necessarily trying to actually start your own mud, shoot me an email with some of your ideas as my mud's always looking for good builders and I understand your situation otherwise completely already. Our theme is very loose but based on medieval/fantasy, it's a big mud that's been established for years though with a relatively small player base (well, only a few very active players but lots of infrequent players) with a small but very tight staff of immortals. While we're always making changes here and there, we're currently making some huge modifications to introduce multiclassing and will very shortly (hopefully) be in need of a massive influx of new areas for the high levels as our current AV areas are going to suddenly become mid-level areas once the multiclassing takes effect.

secondly im definatly interested in getting back into building again and stretching the ole brain cells again ( been playin MMO's for a while lol )

so certainly if you or someone is willing to give me a little room to play with and a little time to get back into the mix id love the opertunity

i can usualy be reached by messenger on aim at thddavidj or yahoo at LspiderL
14 Nov, 2007, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
lspiderl said:
first off thanks to everyone for your advice and understanding :)

secondly im definatly interested in getting back into building again and stretching the ole brain cells again ( been playin MMO's for a while lol )

so certainly if you or someone is willing to give me a little room to play with and a little time to get back into the mix id love the opertunity

i can usualy be reached by messenger on aim at thddavidj or yahoo at LspiderL

No problem on the understanding and advice, hopefully some of it was helpful. :wink:
So you are looking to get back into things as a builder even if it doesn't mean adding yet another new mud to the ever growing lists of muds out there then?
Added. :smile:
07 Apr, 2008, Madiku wrote in the 14th comment:
Smaugfuss and DikuMUD are what first come to mind, they are both simple. I would steer clear of circlemud due to the fact that building there could be so much simpler. I build on both Smaugfuss and DikuMUD, and my situation was the same as yours I just got back into mudding and I have a project going on with a good deal of friends, and when I got into DikuMUD it was way easy to remember everything. Smaugfuss again too, just had a slight problem of accidently building as if i was in dikumud on smaugfuss though.
0.0/14