14 Sep, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
It's a lazy Saturday afternoon and I'd like to try a little experiment just for fun.

Maybe some of you are familiar with the old story of Stone Soup (also part of the name of an excellent roguelike, but I digress). Here's the idea:

Mud Soup
In this thread, add onerelatively self-contained design idea, eithera game mechanic (for example: spells cost mana to cast) orcontent (for example: hobbits – this is just for Tyche).

Yes, this might get messy. Try to make your ingredient go with what has come before.

I'll start with content: the genre is science fantasy.

P.S. You can post more than once, just try to let some other posts in between yours.
15 Sep, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 2nd comment:
I throw in cybernetic upgrades to the MUD Soup, creating Cyborg Hobbits (for Tyche).
15 Sep, 2013, arholly wrote in the 3rd comment:
It's set in one solar system with multiple planets.
15 Sep, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 4th comment:
Since this is science fantasy, I propose that the so-called cybernetics that these burrowing critters have is more akin to steampunk clockwork style enhancements.
There needs to be a noble race of tall pointy eared peoples to keep these lowly creatures in check.
Possibly flying around in solar powered winged tall ships, which would be capable of using solar winds to make interplanetary flights.
The females of this race would of course have flaming red hair, four arms and three breasts.
15 Sep, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 5th comment:
I throw a Clockwork Hobbit uprising into the MUD Soup. They rebel and overthrow the tall, pointy eared peoples, stealing their solar powered ships. They kill all the males, and keep the flame-haired females to serve as lounge dancers.
15 Sep, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 6th comment:
Since we have flying ships, a z-axis seems like a necessary ingredient. However I don't feel a fully 3D coordinate system is the way to go. Therefore I'll add a simple, abstract z-space, which exists over each outdoor room, at ground, low, middle, and highaltitude. We'll conveniently ignore any concept of ground elevation.
16 Sep, 2013, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
Needs more cowbell.

And factions vying for control of the … solar system.
16 Sep, 2013, arholly wrote in the 8th comment:
Some form of space combat, either personal or ship-based, should be possible.
16 Sep, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 9th comment:
Lyanic said:
I throw a Clockwork Hobbit uprising into the MUD Soup. They rebel and overthrow the tall, pointy eared peoples, stealing their solar powered ships. They kill all the males, and keep the flame-haired females to serve as lounge dancers.

It can't be game over yet for the sky chicks. Better the conflict be on-going.
Perhaps the main weapon of the sky chicks is various sorts of lariats and snares.
And as a result, it could be the little ground buggers have excelled at developing advanced prosthetics
because they've lost a lot of limbs battling the ship people.
Prosthetic arms that are swords, shoot arrows and grapples.
I'm not sure what the sky people would want with hobbitses. Maybe they make a tasty soup?

Runter said:
Needs more cowbell.

Yes! They ships communicate via sonic cow bells.

Runter said:
And factions vying for control of the … solar system.

arholly said:
Some form of space combat, either personal or ship-based, should be possible.

Maybe space isn't a vacuum and contains breathable ether.
Which would make open ship to ship boarding actions in space more fun.
16 Sep, 2013, js_wilson wrote in the 10th comment:
I propose minable asteroids in this solar system, some with rare metals/gems that could allow powerful player factions to mint their own currency.
17 Sep, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 11th comment:
This currency is also so known as a ningy.

"The exchange rate of 8 Ningys to one Galactic PU is simple enough. However, since a Ningy is a triangular rubber-coin ,6800 miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one PU. Besides which, if you did ever own enough, you would have a great deal of trouble exchanging them, as most banks refuse to deal in small change."
17 Sep, 2013, donky wrote in the 12th comment:
"ningy" is also the name of the intelligent giant space whales that swim their way through the ether-space-non-vacuum. It's too bad they are killed for the slimy linings of their bowels which when drunk is reputed to be the elixir of eternal youth. Their skin is definitely used for the minting of the triangular rubber coins that they serve as the namesake for.
17 Sep, 2013, Dean wrote in the 13th comment:
Tyche said:
Maybe space isn't a vacuum and contains breathable ether.
Which would make open ship to ship boarding actions in space more fun.

How very Elder Scrolls-ian of you.

A peculiar race, whose name cannot be fathomed by Humans, power their space going vessels with tears of sadness. As a result, they have become particularly adept at making other sentient creatures cry to harvest the tears.
17 Sep, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 14th comment:
Dean said:
A peculiar race, whose name cannot be fathomed by Humans, power their space going vessels with tears of sadness.

The most prized tears are 'tears of unfathomable sadness', capable of opening wormholes for faster travel, and only produced by great tragedy. As such, our nameless race has resorted to terrorism and the killing of puppies and kittens in front of small children.
17 Sep, 2013, arholly wrote in the 15th comment:
However, the wormholes opened by tears of sadness also corrupt those who travel through it, most of the time unknowingly. These corruptions have lead to a group of raiders who utilize the corruption caused by the tears into something they call ChaosTek, technology which is a combination of mechanical and (mutated) biological components.
17 Sep, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 16th comment:
What with the hobbit cyborgs and now ChaosTek raiders, I'm going to throw in a corruptionmechanic. Each piece of gear grafted onto/into the body, or a piece of ChaosTek wielded, adds an amount of corruption. If you go over your corruption limit you start to experience corruption effects. The important thing here is the type of effect will vary based on the type of gear. So ChaosTek effects will give different results than clockwork gear effects.
0.0/16