26 Aug, 2013, severian wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi. As the title states, I'm looking for a new project to call home. First, a little about me and what I do. I've been through TBA under the character name 'Duluth'. From there I've done some building here and there. Mostly for muds that never made it. I know Circle's olc and dgscripts(though it's been a while). I haven't had the pleasure of working on any other codebases. I'm an amateur coder, working mostly in python, though I know the basics of C and C++. With all that said, now for what I'm looking for:

- fantasy/urban fantasy/horror genres, though I will listen to others. I'm just more familiar with those more so than others.

- the project can be new or an already running mud. Must have at least 1 active builder/coder besides the owner though. I hate doing a few zones and not seeing a coder or other builder in that time.

- I don't work for nothing. I'm interested in expanding my coding skill so I will build for just that, a chance to learn. Java, C, C++, python, ruby, hell even learning LPC and advance LPC, doesn't matter to me.

-NO DRAMA. I have no problem leaving half done areas because to much BS is going on.

That's about it. There are other things that go into picking a project, but most of it is personal and gut feelings… things that I can't write down. So, if your interested, just IM me or post to this thread. Makes sure to leave an email and/or mud addy and I'll get back to you. :)
26 Aug, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
Just curious, are you a fan of Book of the New Sun?
26 Aug, 2013, severian wrote in the 3rd comment:
I'm not sure were you would ever get an idea like that from ;)
27 Aug, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
Haha, right on. I've always thought a mud loosely based on those books would be damn cool. I've never come across one though.
27 Aug, 2013, donky wrote in the 5th comment:
Maybe Epitaph? They're a newly opened MUD, I've even played a little. I'm somewhat bored by zombies, but I quite enjoyed starting up a character and will probably play some more. The admin Drakkos is no drama in my book.

It's LPC, but they've connected their authentication to their wiki and other things external to the MUD. There's likely other things that could be done in C++ or C (driver work, debugging and fixes) and whatever other languages are necessary for more external tasks.

I'm also doing a Python-based MUD, with a science fiction setting where the player awakens from suspended animation in a ship's graveyard. But that theme and my preferred approach doesn't meet your list. I'm a big fan of all developers having a copy of the code base and being able to work offline, and to upload what they make and do.
27 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 6th comment:
I'd be interested in taking on a very serious person as a builder / coding apprentice.

You can learn a variety of technologies: modernized C, MySQL, node.js, PHP / JavaScript / HTML5.

If you wish to focus on building for starters, you'll have the help of a unique Web Builder Tool: http://www.mudbytes.net/topic-3667-59251

Serious applicants only. No drama :)
27 Aug, 2013, severian wrote in the 7th comment:
Plamzi, I logged into your mud and looked around, but I don't really see any descriptions. Are there none or do I need to use one of the GUIs or the browser client?
27 Aug, 2013, severian wrote in the 8th comment:
Hm, seeing as I can't edit my OP then I'll just add to it here :D I'm a big fan of post apocalyptic, I collect post apocalyptic fiction, so that is another genre that I'm familiar with :) Thanks Donky for reminding me of that.
27 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 9th comment:
severian said:
Plamzi, I logged into your mud and looked around, but I don't really see any descriptions. Are there none or do I need to use one of the GUIs or the browser client?

If you mean room descriptions, you probably need to turn "brief" off. I've been meaning to make the "look" command always show descriptions but it's a bit complicated on account of how many custom clients we have…
27 Aug, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 10th comment:
You have brief on by default?
28 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 11th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
You have brief on by default?

No, should be off by default. The iOS app turns it on but he wasn't using that. I'm still looking into why his was on. A-anyway.
02 Sep, 2013, Oliver wrote in the 12th comment:
Just to let you know, I shot you a message, Severian.
0.0/12