10 Aug, 2012, Runter wrote in the 141st comment:
Votes: 0
20 Aug, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 142nd comment:
Interesting interview with David Brevik, creator of the original Diablo franchise, in which he was asked his views about Diablo 3: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comment...

Equally interesting was the response from the Diablo 3 developers: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comment...

Some discussion about it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/...

All things considered I think Brevik's comments were pretty restrained, certainly not deserving of the "f*ck that loser" response from Jay Wilson (yes, that's a quote, although I added the asterisk).
20 Aug, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 143rd comment:
I'd be pretty disappointed too if they took my franchise and turned it into a self-serving cash vacuum. The restraint he shows was pretty admirable, compared to the response he got.
08 Sep, 2012, Kjwah wrote in the 144th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
I'd be pretty disappointed too if they took my franchise and turned it into a self-serving cash vacuum. The restraint he shows was pretty admirable, compared to the response he got.

That's what I thought… Apparently, many don't share out views. lol
29 Mar, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 145th comment:
Some interesting comments regarding the aucti...:

Former Diablo 3 Game Director Jay Wilson admitted during a talk at GDC 2013 in San Francisco that both of Diablo 3's Auction Houses (both the real-money and the in-game gold item auction house) "really hurt the game." … It turns out that nearly every one of the game's players … made use of either house, and that over 50 percent of players used it regularly. That, said Wilson, made money a much higher motivator than the game's original motivation to simply kill Diablo, and "damaged item rewards" in the game. While a lot of the buzz around the game attacked the real money Auction House, "gold does much more damage than the other one does," according to Wilson, because more players use it and prices fluctuate much more.
30 Mar, 2013, arholly wrote in the 146th comment:
Wow…Interesting admission.
30 Mar, 2013, Davenge wrote in the 147th comment:
Really? Because what killed it for me was the fact that it's the same game 4 times instead of three. And each time its a boring grind that required little to no skill until you got to inferno then it required a bit more and some semblance of team play, but not really.

Normal? Awesome, new story! Nightmare+ ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
30 Mar, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 148th comment:
I didn't mind Nightmare, as the added challenge was still fun. Hell mode just ramped it up to the point where you had to either buy stuff from the AH, or always play in full games, or enjoy frequent deaths and repair bills.

The #1 disappointment for me was the fact that the maps are totally fixed. Diablo 2 used rotating meshes, where the overall layout was always the same, but individual grids would be rotated and shuffled, so the route varied. At least it offered a little variety and incentive to clear the map. With rigidly fixed maps, nobody ever does anything but the shortest path to the end goal.

After so many years, would it have killed them to spend a SMALL amount of effort to have randomly generated maps? I get fixed maps for the single-player storyline, but c'mon… playing multiplayer is about the slot-machine loot game, not the story.
08 May, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 149th comment:
Blizzard takes Diablo 3 Auction Houses o...

"After the release of Patch 1.0.8 this morning, we made the decision to take the gold and real-money Auction Houses offline to investigate a bug that certain players were exploiting to dupe gold," a Blizzard spokesperson told Polygon. "Our team is working hard to fix any outstanding issues and take appropriate actions with the accounts involved."

According to a Battle.net post, many players now have billions in gold and one player has amassed 371 trillion gold through the exploitation. A NeoGAF forum member wrote that when Blizzard dropped the gold floor from $0.25 a million to $0.25 cents per 10 million "players then bought gems for real money and converted them to gold," and then the gold dupe was discovered with "some streamers duping TRILLIONS."
08 May, 2013, arholly wrote in the 150th comment:
Yeah, having someone make trillions off of it would be a problem.
15 May, 2013, Kjwah wrote in the 151st comment:
Lol damn
18 Sep, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 152nd comment:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-241...

Video game Diablo 3 is to ditch its auction houses after its developer acknowledged the facility "undermines" gameplay … The company said that the auction houses would be removed on 18 March 2014, giving users a chance to adjust.

However they still refuse to offer an offline mode.
18 Sep, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 153rd comment:
Heh, "adjust"…. in other words, spend moar cash nao, before you have to EARN your bling!
19 Sep, 2013, Runter wrote in the 154th comment:
quixadhal said:
Heh, "adjust"…. in other words, spend moar cash nao, before you have to EARN your bling!

More likely prices will plummet.

They're releasing a new item system to coincide which is likely to make old items (and one buyable on the AH) to be like using origin WoW items when burning crusade came out.
19 Sep, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 155th comment:
I know quite a few people who quit WoW because of that item inflation… when the green quest items in the new zone are better than the purple rares you spent months farming, it devalues the effort you put into getting them.

To be honest, Diablo 3 would probably be better off if they just wiped the database and started everyone fresh. Of course, they don't have the balls to do that, but at least it would avoid having to churn out all new versions of things just to realign the economy.
19 Sep, 2013, Runter wrote in the 156th comment:
The item inflation thing is practically an item wipe.

If you go from having the best, most difficult items to get today and then tomorrow having them surpassed by the generic item everyone gets on the first quest, then it's the same difference.
19 Sep, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 157th comment:
One of the "strengths" of Diablo 2 was the ladder tournament play. When you made a ladder character (multiplayer), that character would only remain playable for the duration of that season… which meant every 6 months or so, you got a "clean slate" to start fresh on.

It wouldn't be such a bad idea for them to do this in D3 as well.

I think what many people are so upset with is how crazy-popular Diablo 2 was, for good reasons, and how stupidly they ignored that success and built a game that played differently in almost every respect. Aside from sharing the same setting, and basic movement mechanics, they could be entirely unrelated games.
19 Sep, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 158th comment:
The ladder was annoying though as runes were ridiculously impossible to get unless you farmed 24h/24 with a bot.
so 6 months was way too short for regular/occasionnal players to build if only one good character (esepcially since you could not easily store plenty equip with a ridiculously small chest)
And 3 weeks was long enough for bots farming 24h/24 to get everything of value.
19 Sep, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 159th comment:
Got an email today saying they're shutting down the Auction House. I've missed the whole drama because I only played for a few weeks in the beginning. They finally gave up on trying to fix all the exploits?
20 Sep, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 160th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
The ladder was annoying though as runes were ridiculously impossible to get unless you farmed 24h/24 with a bot.
so 6 months was way too short for regular/occasionnal players to build if only one good character (esepcially since you could not easily store plenty equip with a ridiculously small chest)
And 3 weeks was long enough for bots farming 24h/24 to get everything of value.

That's why I enjoyed it. I don't play to "win"… I play to have fun playing. Having a regular "reset" button means I can actually compete for a short while, whereas when everyone can just build forever, I will always be behind the curve.
140.0/168