26 Jan, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I have to agree that just using your client's input window for editing is far faster than a line editor. Some clients don't have resizable input windows though.
27 Jan, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 22nd comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
Ssolvarain said:
It's sort of how veteran mudders use an actual client, while newbies need lots of boxes and brightly colored buttons.

Veterans use a notepad on the sude then jsut copy paste in their client, a few line at once to not override the mud input limit :)

Why would you ever do that? Formatting has been a standard feature for more than a decade. To manually format a description takes extra time and introduces human error, which makes your work sloppy. Sloppy is bad. You should always make the tool do the work. That's why we invented them.
27 Jan, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 23rd comment:
Some of our muds are more than a decade old. punk.

*I* remember using graph paper to design areas with vnum's penciled in, and using /usr/bin/vi to edit the world files. Do you? :blues:
27 Jan, 2013, bbailey wrote in the 24th comment:
quixadhal said:

*I* remember using graph paper to design areas with vnum's penciled in, and using /usr/bin/vi to edit the world files. Do you? :blues:

I do. It was this morning. :cry:
27 Jan, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 25th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
Why would you ever do that? Formatting has been a standard feature for more than a decade. To manually format a description takes extra time and introduces human error, which makes your work sloppy. Sloppy is bad. You should always make the tool do the work. That's why we invented them.

My notepad has such features….and is way easier to use than an inline tool…
27 Jan, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 26th comment:
Really?

My notepad has the feature of horizontal lines (light blue), and it's very easy to move from one page to the next. However, the search features are not very good, and resorting requires you to remove all the pages and add them back in, one by one. Once you do that, it's harder to keep the sort order intact, as sometimes the pages will get lost and have to be re-inserted.
27 Jan, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 27th comment:
quixadhal said:

We're dealing with a hipster badass over here :/
30 Jan, 2013, Telgar wrote in the 28th comment:
quixadhal said:

Uhh.. not only do I, I still do that.
30 Jan, 2013, Vigud wrote in the 29th comment:
quixadhal said:

bbailey said:

Telgar said:

Are you saying that you use vi, when vim has been around for over 20 years?…

Ssolvarain said:
Rarva.Riendf said:
Ssolvarain said:
It's sort of how veteran mudders use an actual client, while newbies need lots of boxes and brightly colored buttons.

Veterans use a notepad on the sude then jsut copy paste in their client, a few line at once to not override the mud input limit :)

What tools are you talking about? Genuinely interested.
30 Jan, 2013, bbailey wrote in the 30th comment:
Vigud said:
quixadhal said:

bbailey said:

Telgar said:

Luckily editors aren't the only thing that have changed over that time period.

bobby@omega:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 19 20:07 /usr/bin/vi -> /etc/alternatives/vi
bobby@omega:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Dec 10 10:50 /etc/alternatives/vi -> /usr/bin/vim.basic
bobby@omega:~$

/bin/ed's where it's at anyway.
30 Jan, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 31st comment:
C:\>edlin /?
Starts Edlin, a line-oriented text editor.

EDLIN [drive:][path]filename

/B Ignores end-of-file (CTRL+Z) characters.

Worked under DOS 2.0 and still works under Windows 7.

C:\>debug /?
Runs Debug, a program testing and editing tool.

DEBUG [[drive:][path]filename [testfile-parameters]]

[drive:][path]filename Specifies the file you want to test.
testfile-parameters Specifies command-line information required by
the file you want to test.

After Debug starts, type ? to display a list of debugging commands.

We don't need no stinking compiler, we have debug.
30 Jan, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 32nd comment:
So I heard you guys worked on a mud with Jesus.

What was he like?
31 Jan, 2013, Telgar wrote in the 33rd comment:
Vigud said:
quixadhal said:

bbailey said:

Telgar said:

No, I've upgraded to vim. BUT THAT IS ALL.

We're running a state of the art RS/6000 based system here.
31 Jan, 2013, Telgar wrote in the 34th comment:
Tyche said:
C:\>edlin /?
Starts Edlin, a line-oriented text editor.

EDLIN [drive:][path]filename

/B Ignores end-of-file (CTRL+Z) characters.

Worked under DOS 2.0 and still works under Windows 7.

C:\>debug /?
Runs Debug, a program testing and editing tool.

DEBUG [[drive:][path]filename [testfile-parameters]]

[drive:][path]filename Specifies the file you want to test.
testfile-parameters Specifies command-line information required by
the file you want to test.

After Debug starts, type ? to display a list of debugging commands.

We don't need no stinking compiler, we have debug.

How do I like this post?

Unfortunately, I believe debug no longer exists.
31 Jan, 2013, Telgar wrote in the 35th comment:
Scandum said:
Telgar said:
How would MSDP help with this? (Mostly missing what the pronoun this refers to after having too many sidebars..)

MSDP would primarily help with MUD clients that have stated they won't add VT100 support, like mushclient and mudlet.

The client would indicate that the mud needs to report the EDITOR variable, if the MUD supports this, instead of opening an in-game text editor it would send out an editing request, something resembling:

EDITOR : { "FILENAME" : "bla.txt", "DIRECTORY" : "files\notes\private", TITLE" : "Re: Bla", "RECIPIENT" : "Bubba", "FROM" : "Pamela", "TYPE" : "PRIVATE NOTE", "BODY" : ">I miss you Bubba. XO Pamela\n" }

The client would use this to open an editor, and when the player is done it will send back the EDITOR variable with the adjustments, upon which the MUD would either post it, or keep it in draft form until the player enters the command to post it.

O I C. I default to not using term based editing and let users opt-in, unless I can reliably detect that it will work, which seems simpler.

Well I did implement the old Diku style system as my fall back. Works great. Now with regular expression support.
31 Jan, 2013, Kaz wrote in the 36th comment:
Meh, I just take a small magnet to the hard drive and change my area files sector by sector.
31 Jan, 2013, Vadi wrote in the 37th comment:
I like ATCP's / GMCP's Composer feature, where the client will spawn a notepad-like interface for editing the text and saving it.
31 Jan, 2013, Telgar wrote in the 38th comment:
Kaz said:
Meh, I just take a small magnet to the hard drive and change my area files sector by sector.

Lol, that is what copyright protection used to consist of. :devil:
31 Jan, 2013, Kaz wrote in the 39th comment:
Telgar said:
Kaz said:

Lol, that is what copyright protection used to consist of. :devil:

Oldschool*, ya know ;)

*he says, to the mudding community…
01 Feb, 2013, Telgar wrote in the 40th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
So I heard you guys worked on a mud with Jesus.

What was he like?

Dude was a dick. Every time I brought in undead minions, he turned them away. If I ever had a boss down to just a few dozen hps but was wounded myself and had to find a healer, dude would bring on his cleric and heal the mob back up, saying something about the other cheek. Once he even brought one of the bosses back from the dead. I so wish that MUD had PVP…
20.0/45