19 Dec, 2012, arholly wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi there:
One thing I've been considering in the MUD I'm developing (which is White Wolf based) is getting rid of money (dollars and cents) and allowing players the ability to get items based on their resource level and/or influence level in certain areas. So, jeans might be resources 1, leather jacket resource 1, salt-water pearl necklace resource 2 or 3, etc… Other things would be much rarer and could only be gotten from mobs or certain influences (relics, fetishes, arcane items, etc…). You could also use things criminal influence to get stolen or unregistered weapons.

I'm just trying to look at the pro's and con's of moving to a moneyless system.
19 Dec, 2012, arholly wrote in the 2nd comment:
So continuing to think about it after I post…

Doing away with money would allow me to do away with banking code for handling money. Barter would become more important as would theft and crafting.
19 Dec, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 3rd comment:
> I'm just trying to look at the pro's and con's of moving to a moneyless system.

Where there is an economy there is a money system, whatever the currency is.
19 Dec, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
Instead of trying to sugar-coat things, why not just let players spend experience points for goods and services?

When you kill stuff or complete quests or whatever your game does for advancement, you get experience points. You can spend those to level up, improve your stats, or buy goods. If you die, you lose (a percentage of) the unspent experience points you have on you.
19 Dec, 2012, arholly wrote in the 5th comment:
That is essentially what they'd be doing because those abilities/powers/backgrounds can be burned up using them or failing epically.
20 Dec, 2012, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 6th comment:
I actually log in sometimes just to check my auction stuff and craft, I may not have time or feel like questing. Sometimes it's just a game in itself, buy low, sell high, try making some new stuff and see how that sells, so I can put more into crafting. Burn, get burned, stay reputable or whatever..fun stuff.

just my 2 cents though. XD
24 Feb, 2013, salindor wrote in the 7th comment:
There was an anime I watched once which had an interesting concept. A person could trade their future for money. To have access to this, they had to bet their future once a week in a fight. If they won the fight their future was better; if the lost their past was worse (family members that only they could remember dissapeared for example).

Anyways it building a mud off this concept could be rather interesting. Would likely be tricky to pull off though to get the feel just right, as whats easy to do in a movie/anime style can't always be done right in a video game (for example losing everything isn't really tramatic to a player).

Salindor
0.0/7