08 Nov, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Most promotions include a list of cool features that the mud offers. To break up the monotony, I thought I'd instead list some common mud features that God Wars II doesn't have.

• No doors. There are locks, but no keys. The "open" command is only used for opening your eyes (or visor, if your helmet has one).

• No rooms. There are areas though, and buildings, and worlds. In fact, everyone has their own world.

• No drinking. You can eat, but you never get hungry.

• No containers. Players can conjure private storage buildings, but there are no bags or backpacks.

• No races. At least not as a separate mechanic; some of the classes are technically also races (such as dragons and titans).

• No multiclassing. Although there are over 300 subclasses, some of which are thematically class hybrids (such as dracoliches).

• No newbie school. There are hints, a "what" command, even an autohelp that answers questions, but no newbie school.

• No snoop or wizinvis. Never needed them. There's a slay command, but everyone gets that.

• No option for writing your own description. The mud automatically generates all the player descriptions on the fly.

• No save command. You can create a "save" alias that displays "Ok." if you like, though.

• No concept of light and dark. There are torches, but they're mostly used as improvised weapons for burning down buildings.

• No gender selection during character creation (unless you choose custom creation). The mud guesses your gender.

• No "wait state" delay after entering commands. Not all commands have instant results, but there's no simulated lag.

• No final decisions. Aside from your name (and class, when you later choose one), you can respec your character freely.

God Wars II doesn't appeal to everyone. It has no rules, no roleplaying, and certainly no lack of brutal violence. But some people just won't take no for an answer.

godwars2.org 3000
10 Nov, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 2nd comment:
I really like this post, Kavir. Nicely done.

FWIW to players, I really like this MUD too. If you haven't tried it, do so!
15 Nov, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
Now that advert was one that was worth reading. If I hadn't already tried the mud out and found it wasn't for me then I would be logging on right now. Congrats on writing the first really unique and interesting advertisement for a mud.
26 Nov, 2012, Kline wrote in the 4th comment:
Having tried your game off and on in the past, it's not my flavor, but I still want to mention that it's an incredibly well polished game. I think each time I tried it was when I was in a rut of "looking for something different, yet still familiar" – trying to recapture the magic of playing an old game again for the first time. To anyone who hasn't tried it yet: definitely give it a look.

Also, I find the lack of snoop curious. While I understand both sides of the argument, how do you deal with "Ok, show me exactly what you did to break XYZ." for hard to replicate problems? Just curious – looking for suggestions and such :)
27 Nov, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 5th comment:
Kline said:
Also, I find the lack of snoop curious. While I understand both sides of the argument, how do you deal with "Ok, show me exactly what you did to break XYZ." for hard to replicate problems? Just curious – looking for suggestions and such :)

Usually a good description of the issue is enough, sometimes the player will show me a screenshot or a log, and on a couple of occasions I've played a copy of their character on the test port to try and reproduce the problem.

I don't have an ethical problem with snoop per se, I recognise it has its uses, but it's just never been high enough priority for me to bother implementing.

I did actually implement a "logall" command a couple of days ago, though. However there's no option for logging individuals, and it only logs the first token people type (the command), so it doesn't record private conversations and such. I really need to find out why the mud isn't dropping core dumps any more, but at least the log has allowed me to pinpoint the cause of a recent crash.
27 Nov, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 6th comment:
why the mud isn't dropping core dumps any more

3 possible reasons that happened to me but you probably already checked them: 1:Not enough space on hdd , 2:rights has been changed , 3:core dump were disabled by someone to avoid to fall on the first situation.
27 Nov, 2012, Kline wrote in the 7th comment:
KaVir said:
I really need to find out why the mud isn't dropping core dumps any more, but at least the log has allowed me to pinpoint the cause of a recent crash.

Please let me know if you do. I still haven't figured out some odd behavior with ulimit truncating cores for one of my projects.

[link=post]13412[/link]
[link=post]45280[/link]
27 Nov, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
1:Not enough space on hdd

I thought that was the issue, but I cleared a massive amount of space (by moving all the pfile backups off the server) and it still doesn't seem to be doing it. I need to sit down and have a play with the test port really, I don't like disrupting the main game too much.
28 Nov, 2012, Lyanic wrote in the 9th comment:
Kline said:
KaVir said:
I really need to find out why the mud isn't dropping core dumps any more, but at least the log has allowed me to pinpoint the cause of a recent crash.

Please let me know if you do. I still haven't figured out some odd behavior with ulimit truncating cores for one of my projects.

[link=post]13412[/link]
[link=post]45280[/link]

Anytime my game has stopped producing core dumps it has either been an issue with ulimit or the crash was the result of something gone haywire with memory allocation.
28 Nov, 2012, KaVir wrote in the 10th comment:
Kline said:
I think each time I tried it was when I was in a rut of "looking for something different, yet still familiar"

Actually that comment brings to mind an issue I've been pondering lately. While most muds go to great lengths to make themselves different from the competition, my problem was always the opposite. I've even invested effort into trying to make the mud feel more familiar, in the hope of reducing the learning curve for veteran players from other styles of mud.

A recent newbie described GW2 as feeling "SMAUGish", while Scandum previously described it as being like ROM, and Sandy once said it reminded her of TinyMUD. Even a little familiarity might be enough to increase your newbie retention rate for those critical first few minutes. Along similar lines, I remember an LPMud that was trying to make itself more accessable to Diku players, although I don't know how well that worked out. But it's an interesting idea.
28 Nov, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 11th comment:
A few years back I put in a week or so on the MUD. The learning curve is pretty steep, but the game itself is so well done. If it used a different combat system and wasn't so focused on PvP, I'd probably take up permanent residence. As it was, I had a fun time becoming a vampire and tinkering with the perk options.

The massive amount of character options and customization blows away any game I've ever played (including million dollar commercial titles). I think that speaks a lot of the effort KaVir has put into this MUD.

As far as familiarity goes, I didn't have any problem with the majority of the basics, and I come from a mostly ROM background. The combat and movement are where I had the most trouble, I think.
28 Nov, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 12th comment:
Kline said:
KaVir said:

[link=post]13412[/link]
[link=post]45280[/link]

<offtopic>

Yeah, ulimit is tricky because it can be set in many places and have different scopes, and overrides are not always obvious. Here's a good source to help you track down your issues:

http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sls-...

But as far as I can tell, the list of where it may be set is not comprehensive.

I'm sure you have an uncap statement in your run script itself?

</offtopic>
28 Nov, 2012, Runter wrote in the 13th comment:
I think I've had problems with producing core dumps in the past when the crash was related to double freeing of memory. I can't remember exactly, though. :)
29 Nov, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 14th comment:
Yep problem with memory can result in a 'silent' crash. (or a segfault that makes no sense where it is anyway). But first thing is still to check if the directory rights have not been changed (the core dump may t have lost the right to be written there) or if core dump policy has not been changed (core dump may be disabled), or even if the directory where the core dump is written is still the same. (all those are quite easy to test anyway, just have a function that segfault the mud on purpose). If you segfault volontary and have no core dump, it is a good news :) If not…good luck :)
0.0/14