16 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I don't know if I'm in the right place or not but here goes. I have noticed that there is a lack of C++ ported snippets when it comes to SWR 2.0 I know that a lot of you are probably going to suggest I use a different codebase but let me squash that effort right now I don't plan on changing bases I really enjoy this base and I have other developers who are helping to try and finish the features that were left incomplete. I feel a bit useless though at this point because I want to add a few minor things with what little programming knowledge that I have but I came to realize that if I tried installing some of the snippets from the SWR part of the repository that all it would end up doing is spitting out a ton of errors at me. So I ask the community is there any way we could easilly port some of the snippets in peticular the cypernetics, and accounts snippet to C++? I'll even provide a full build of the source code if that helps I'll post it up on the mudbytes repository hell it would be the first stable SWR 2.0 build on mudbytes.
16 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 2nd comment:
Don't mean to double post but I have waited for a while for someone to respond and so far the codebase I submitted has been downloaded three times! SO I ask again good people do ya think there is a possibility to take the C formatted SWR snippets and port them to C++ by any chance? I am not asking for too much I don't think considering that the snippets in question, most of them are fairly small though I will admit some of them would require a great deal of vested time and effort the ones I am more focused on, cybernetics, accounts, and to add to the list the ATM debit card snippet, aren't all that huge from what I can see. These three snippets would greatly help me out with some sorely needed functions in my build of SWR 2.0, if I had the know how to do this myself I would not be begging the community to step up and help.
16 Nov, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 3rd comment:
#1. Your SWR 2.0 is developed in C++?

#2. You want snippets developed in C converted to C++ for use in your codebase?

Correct?
16 Nov, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 4th comment:
First off, you might want to re-compress your codebase and upload the new version. The SWR 2.0 tar.gz archive you uploaded is corrupt.
16 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 5th comment:
Corrupt? How? I already updated it and re-uploaded it if it is indeed corrupt is it giving a reason as to why it is corrupt?
16 Nov, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 6th comment:
Oh, what do you know, Tar just wasn't playing nicely with Gzip. So, I got it open now, I'll get back to you on the snippets. Also, you want to address my original two questions in my first post?
16 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 7th comment:
Yes of course.

#1 No it was ported from C to C++ and still uses the .c extension for some reason even though it is in fact in C++ now

#2 Yes I am requesting three in particular snippets be converted to C++ for use with my SWR 2.0 build I am currently running. I am fairly certain that I can manage to install the snippets but my knowledge of programming falls short of converting them to C++ by a lot and I mean A LOT

Hopefully this answers your questions Barrons.
17 Nov, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 8th comment:
C++ is about 99% backwards compatible with C, by design. With the exception of a few new keywords (new, class, and a couple of others), C code should work just fine with a C++ compiler. Now, if this codebase has been changed dramatically in the process of it being "converted" to C++, of course you may have to make similar changes to your "snippet" code.

Also, you might want to learn a bit of patience if you intend to get anything at all accomplished in the MUD community. You made your original post at 9:33am, and your slightly annoyed followup at 5:03pm on the very same day. Typically, if you get any response inside a WEEK, consider yourself lucky as nobody here is getting paid to do anything.

Whenever I see someone trying to run a Dikurivative who has little to no coding experience, I usually suggest they try to advertise for and find a semi-regular coder to work with, as Diku-style games require code changes every time you want to do anything not already provided for. It's entirely up to you, of course, but modifying snippets is the tip of the iceburg for the adventure you're embarking on, and if you aren't, (or don't have) a competant coder to fix bugs and add new features as your player base grows, you're going to have some unhappy players in the future.

Good luck!
17 Nov, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 9th comment:
extern "C"

edit: I'm (sort of) kidding. A more complete follow-up will, uh, follow.. when I wake up.
17 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 10th comment:
quixadhal said:
C++ is about 99% backwards compatible with C, by design. With the exception of a few new keywords (new, class, and a couple of others), C code should work just fine with a C++ compiler. Now, if this codebase has been changed dramatically in the process of it being "converted" to C++, of course you may have to make similar changes to your "snippet" code.

Also, you might want to learn a bit of patience if you intend to get anything at all accomplished in the MUD community. You made your original post at 9:33am, and your slightly annoyed followup at 5:03pm on the very same day. Typically, if you get any response inside a WEEK, consider yourself lucky as nobody here is getting paid to do anything.

Whenever I see someone trying to run a Dikurivative who has little to no coding experience, I usually suggest they try to advertise for and find a semi-regular coder to work with, as Diku-style games require code changes every time you want to do anything not already provided for. It's entirely up to you, of course, but modifying snippets is the tip of the iceburg for the adventure you're embarking on, and if you aren't, (or don't have) a competant coder to fix bugs and add new features as your player base grows, you're going to have some unhappy players in the future.

Good luck!

Yes you are right I was a bit impatient and I apologize for that and yes I have a competent coder who is busy working on ASCII mapping for the mud's planets. I myself wanted to endeavor on this trek and no not star trek to put together some snippets for the mud and yes of course you are right C++ is backwards compatible to a point but the code has had so much done to it that in order for me to install anything I would need to know more about C and C++ in order to install the C snippets into the C++ code. If this was the case I wouldn't have come to you the mud community of mudbytes to ask for assistance in this. I realize that I'm probably one giant pain in the arse to a lot of you since I've done nothing but upload the codebase and that is as far as my contribution to the community can go. I wish this was not the case but as much as I would love to learn how to program I just simply suck at it.
17 Nov, 2012, Barrons wrote in the 11th comment:
If it has been significantly modified from stock SWR 2.0 (the code, I mean), it might be prudent to give your official fork a name to identify it. I thought I was still dealing with a SWR 2.0 codebase but your latest comment gives a different impression.
17 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 12th comment:
I would be happy to just as soon as my new upload gets approved which really I should check on it to see if it is.

EDIT: Nope it hasn't been yet
17 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 13th comment:
Well I got the new file uploaded it is now in zip format and I moved it over to the subservers section and renamed it to SWR 2.0 C++ so that people will notice it is ported right away instead of having to look at SWR 2.0 original and then at my file and go "Oh hey this is ported to C++" :stare:
24 Nov, 2012, DemonAlucard wrote in the 14th comment:
Hello everyone! Thought I would give this thread a bump and give a shout out to Barrons for taking on the task of checking out the SWR snippets and the code I am trying to implement them into. Thanks Barrons I hope that you have had the time to actually give the code at least a glance from time to time! If anyone else thinks it would be possible to port any of the other SWR snippets to C++ that would be great! Not only would it help us out but I'm sure other C++ coded muds wouldn't mind having those snippets already ported for easier use of them.
0.0/14