18 Oct, 2012, LeMonseural wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey MudBytes,

As you know I'm learning to code with Ruby (Books/Trial&Error) - Also I run an online clothing website and was thinking about creating an App for it (Which I don't plan on releasing for sometime).

Now I saw that program that Ruby has out to make apps (forgot the name of it).

What are you guys thoughts on it as experienced programmers?
19 Oct, 2012, Twisol wrote in the 2nd comment:
By "app", do you mean an iPhone application? If so, you're probably thinking of RubyMotion.
19 Oct, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 3rd comment:
If you mean ruby web application framework, you're probably thinking of Rails.
Rails is very popular, and there are many books and online tutorials on it.
The TeensyWeb site is running on Rails 1.0. I didn't care much for it for a couple reasons.

Rails has its way of organizing where things should live. The benefits of that are that many people
working on multiple large projects have a consistent way of working and knowing where everything lives.
I prefer to organize the configuration, code and directories of projects for the way I work.
Rails is huge framework and includes almost everything you'd ever need to develop web applications.
I like small frameworks that allow me to plug-in the software I prefer and only what I need.

I started using Nitro for a few applications over the years, but Nitro is no longer maintained.
I'm using Camping now.
If it's a really big project I'd recommend Rails.
For a small project I'd use Camping.
There are also many other web programming frameworks for Ruby.
19 Oct, 2012, LeMonseural wrote in the 4th comment:
Yea, RubyMotion was the one I was referring to but I'm glad Tyche replied also, so I can check out those to.
19 Oct, 2012, Davion wrote in the 5th comment:
LeMonseural said:
Yea, RubyMotion was the one I was referring to but I'm glad Tyche replied also, so I can check out those to.

FWIW, the two are very different things. One is a commercial product for creating apps sold through the Apple App Store for iPhone/iPads runnnin in around $200. The other is an opensource framework for developing websites rapidly that do stuff.
19 Oct, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
Davion said:
LeMonseural said:

FWIW, the two are very different things. One is a commercial product for creating apps sold through the Apple App Store for iPhone/iPads runnnin in around $200. The other is an opensource framework for developing websites rapidly that do stuff.

Yeah, communication impedance mismatch.
I don't know anything about those kind of apps.
19 Oct, 2012, Twisol wrote in the 7th comment:
I've heard great things about RubyMotion, but I've never actually used it myself.
19 Oct, 2012, LeMonseural wrote in the 8th comment:
Actually looking into both would still benefit me as I'm dealing with both, but for $200 RubyMotion can remain where it is til I get better with Ruby in general.
19 Oct, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 9th comment:
Wait. Apple let slide an app that can be used to program/create other apps on their precious iPhone? I remember them forcing someone to modify their C64 emulator and remove the BASIC ROM (image) because they were so paranoid about anyone being able to program anything outside their control.
20 Oct, 2012, Runter wrote in the 10th comment:
quixadhal said:
Wait. Apple let slide an app that can be used to program/create other apps on their precious iPhone? I remember them forcing someone to modify their C64 emulator and remove the BASIC ROM (image) because they were so paranoid about anyone being able to program anything outside their control.

Well, apple themselves are writing a lot of new features using a ruby implementation so it's not that surprising to me. Rubymotion is based on the same project, MacRuby. So it follows all of the guidelines for how things must be compiled to use. In other words, it won't be interpreted and to apple the compiled source is indistinguishable.

And btw, I've been using RubyMotion for a while. It's fantastic.
0.0/10