02 Aug, 2012, Koumintang wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok here is what I want to do. I want to make it so people can go to star systems by typing a x and y position.. This would be used to go to hidden star systems. The twist, I want people to be able to type these coordinates in and whether there is actually a star system there or not, there would still be some kind of system there (whether or not there was something in that system or not). The problem is I have no idea where I would even start to do this task.. Any suggestions? Any one willing to write this up? (LOL) OR does anyone know of a code base that has this in it and willing to part with it?
02 Aug, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 2nd comment:
I've heard plenty of talk about "on the fly" or randomly generated dungeons. You could look into those are done, and then when someone enters in the X/Y, if something is found, the actual system is loaded, and if nothing isn't, it could generate the area/system, or whatnot. Problem here might be that if that person tries to return to said system with the same coordinates, each time they go it would likely be a different layout, so it's not a very elegant solution, but if nothing better is suggested, it might be something to consider.

I wouldn't know how to do this or where to point you, but it is something that comes up now and again around here.
02 Aug, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 3rd comment:
To have an area randomly generated but still the same if a player decide to go there again the simplest (and most used as well, this is not a new problem) is simply to store the seed and regenerate it from there.
02 Aug, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 4th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
To have an area randomly generated but still the same if a player decide to go there again the simplest (and most used as well, this is not a new problem) is simply to store the seed and regenerate it from there.

Well there ya go :)

Might be a starting point on where to look if nothing else.
02 Aug, 2012, Koumintang wrote in the 5th comment:
ok well I'll see what i can do with what you gave me… if anyone else has any suggestions let ,e know
03 Aug, 2012, Koumintang wrote in the 6th comment:
ok i have made the code pull up the star system from the systems coordinates. I am using using an if check to determine which way the code will pull the code, from name or from coords.

The if check I'm using is

If(!is_number(arg1))
{
Pull from name and calculate the hyper jump
}
else if (is_number(arg1))
{
pull from coords and calculate the hyper jump
}

The problem is that it isn't viewing a negative coordinate as a number… it is reading it as an alpha… Anyone have a suggestion to bypass this without going through and removing the negative coordinates from all my star systems?
0.0/6