29 Mar, 2012, Gicker wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0

d20MUD: Star Wars is a new genre of star wars MUD out there, using the powerful d20MUD Engine used previously with the AxiomRPG, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance themes.

We have decided to take our code in a new direction and start up a Star Wars version of our MUD, and have been working hard since early 2012. The progress we have made so far is excellent, and we now have a small custom world, and
a small playerbase of about 15 regular players, ranging from 2-6 people on most of the time. Not a bad start we feel for only being in existence about a month.

The code is very similar to d20MUD if you are familiar with that, but if not let's run down a few of the stock features in our heavily modified CircleMUD codebase.

- auto experience rewards for role playing
- detailed, clean-looking score sheet
- mentor system allowing you to group with any level
- optional pvp system
- ascii automap in room descriptions
- crafting system allowing you to create your own gear with custom stats and descriptions
- traditional, diku-style pulse based combat
- MSDP & MXP enabled code
- pet system allowing for mounts, pets and companions that can tank for you and offer additional attacks each round.
- multiclassing system
- menu based levelling process
- d20 feat, skill and spell/force power systems
- mob bounties awarding exp, credits and quest points
- coded quests, some of which offer unique storylines

The Star Wars version has all of this, plus some additional features:
- 6 base classes, force adept, scout, scoundrel, squad leader, soldier & trader (try saying that 5 times fast!)
- 18 base races and 1 advaced race (with more to come)
- 3 prestige class (weapon master, jedi knight, gunslinger, more to come)
- taxi system for travel between zones (planets are too big for roads-only in our minds)
- shuttle system for travel between planets
- phase 1 of space system complete with purchasable ships usable to travel between planets
- 9 force powers to date (more to come)
- 3 planets, each having 3-5 zones
- market ward area for selling objects to other players, saving over reboots
- item bank for storing and sharing gear between characters on the same account

So we've gotten a fair bit done in the 2 months we've been around, and there seems to be a fair bit of interest. My ongoing list for the next little while is:

- continue to fix bugs, tweak things for balance, etc. This is always ongoing
- add more zones. My goal right now is a small zone a week, 50-80 rooms or so. I've exceed that so far.
- start to add a few story based quests to both Coruscant and Korriban for starting players.
- Complete phase 2 of the space system: launching, hyperspace & space mechanics/movement
- Add more force powers and force techniques
- Add more prestige classes, such as force disciple, sith apprentice and bounty hunter

And that's about where we are to date. If you've stuck with me this far, I'm guessing I've at least piqued your interest. Come by and check things out. We also offer a GUI interface for MUSHclient, which can make playing easier.We're are http://starwars.d20mud.com. Be careful there's a
flash intro with music, so you may want to turn down your speakers. This can be toggled off by clicking the link at the bottom of the main page.

Or if you just want to connect straight to the mud, it's starwars.d20mud.com port 6000.

Cheers,

I am Gicker there. Feel free to look me up there, or ask your questions on the 'chat' channel. Keep in mind during the day I am at work and may be slow to respond. Our busiest times are late afternoon and early evening, Eastern
time zone. Role play hour is 11pm-1pm EST and 7pm-9pm EST every day. Double exp rewards during this time for role playing.

See you on the MUD!

Gicker
29 Mar, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
I've been playing this game for a few days now and it is a blast. As was stated, it is in the early stages of development but still offers fun gameplay. Features are added daily and bugs are fixed as quickly as can be. The players I have encountered seem mature, helpful, and genuinely interested in improving the game. I would really recommend giving it an honest try to see if it is something you like. If nothing else, you can prowl for ideas and offer suggestions while you work on your own codebase.
29 Mar, 2012, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
That's a high endorsement considering Chris usually naysays on these mud ads. :p
29 Mar, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 4th comment:
With the typical crap we see out there, it's hard not to complain. Don't get me wrong, it has a lot of quirks. Fortunately, they can all be chalked up to early development. This guy Gicker is putting some serious time and effort into creating something the players want instead of what he wants. That is hard to find imho. =)
29 Mar, 2012, Gicker wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks for the endorsement Chris. It's nice to see that people are enjoying things.
29 Mar, 2012, Gicker wrote in the 6th comment:
Just wanted to comment on two typos in the original ad:
1) We've been around for 2 months now, not one
2) We have 2 advanced races, not 1 (battle droid and recon droid)
29 Mar, 2012, Kline wrote in the 7th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I've been playing this game for a few days now and it is a blast. As was stated, it is in the early stages of development but still offers fun gameplay. Features are added daily and bugs are fixed as quickly as can be. The players I have encountered seem mature, helpful, and genuinely interested in improving the game. I would really recommend giving it an honest try to see if it is something you like. If nothing else, you can prowl for ideas and offer suggestions while you work on your own codebase.

Sweet, I might have to pop in and check this out. I haven't played a game in ages. I've always like Star Wars-like things, so now you've got a me a lil excited :)
06 Apr, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
Did you ever try it out Kline?
07 Apr, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
I just went through the char creation process and it looks like a well thought out mud. I crashed it repeatedly by trying to list items in the store, but I will check back later and definitely keep my eye on this mud.

Keep up the good work. You might have just given me a new mud home.
07 Apr, 2012, Gicker wrote in the 10th comment:
Hey there Igabod,

Please forgive the instability. I also run a d20 MUD for Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms themes, and just yesterday I combined the three codebases into one for easier addition of new code that is distributed to all 3 themes.

The codebase merge went well for the most part, but there are still some issues that I am ironing out, and this is one of them. Ironically, I am working on fixing this just before I got the email notification for this new post.

Check back later when you have the time and inclination and hopefully things will be working better.

Thanks for the compliment on the MUD as well :)

Gicker, Owner and Lead Developer
07 Apr, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 11th comment:
Hope to see you there Igabod, I'm still having a blast with it.
09 Apr, 2012, Kline wrote in the 12th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Did you ever try it out Kline?

No, not yet :(

Mass Effect 3 was eating up a lot of time and this last week I've been writing a new MUD server 100% from scratch; both in hopes of eventually producing something useful, and learning (about to make a post about it shortly!).
09 Apr, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 13th comment:
Well when you get around to it you definitely gotta hit this place kline. I failed to shower at all yesterday because I was mudding. I haven't done that in over a decade. There are still bugs and little oversights, but out of all the sw themed muds I've played in my day this one shows the most potential. I am afraid my social life is about to start suffering again.
09 Apr, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 14th comment:
Haha @Igabod. I am probably not going to get a couple of papers done by tomorrow because of this MUD. I'm forcing myself to stay away until all of my homework is done.
11 Apr, 2012, Igabod wrote in the 15th comment:
I found myself logging in while sitting on the toilet at work today… new low for me, but I'm sure I would have done it before if I had an android back in my mud addict days.
11 Apr, 2012, Kline wrote in the 16th comment:
Igabod said:
I found myself logging in while sitting on the toilet at work today… new low for me, but I'm sure I would have done it before if I had an android back in my mud addict days.

I used to login to a few games at work frequently on my phone when I was still on active duty in the military lol.
11 Apr, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 17th comment:
I typically only play from home. When I'm at work I try to be the employee I would want to have if it were my company. =P
11 Apr, 2012, Runter wrote in the 18th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I typically only play from home. When I'm at work I try to be the employee I would want to have if it were my company. =P

Keep it up and you'll get that employee of the year award.
11 Apr, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 19th comment:
You guys have me wanting to try this MUD now :p
12 Apr, 2012, arholly wrote in the 20th comment:
I gotta say, it's a pretty enjoyable mud. I was going to try it today and almost five hours later I was still trying it. :grinning:
0.0/30