24 Feb, 2012, Runter wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
darkozx said:
It looked fine to me, why edit it? I used the same post on every MUD website I made this advertisement on. Unless there was some strange rule I broke by pasting that log.

I've been considering it a few days and I think he hit the nail on the head. Unless he broke some strange rule, why are mudbytes administrators editing the posts of members? This hasn't come up yet because nobody has really complained, but I personally don't think it should be happening, even in the case of users making errors.. unless a request is made by the user. Such as "Hey Kiasyn, my video link is broken, can you fix that for me?" If we really want to continue this policy it needs to be clearly laid on in the rules like this: "Users may not post erroneous or misleading links. Users must format their posts in an appealed way using … code tags… even if it's a quote or log. Users must post in the appropriate forum or be prepared to defend it after we move it to another." Anywho, when these maybe silly rules are laid out, it becomes more clear that what has been going on could be considered a circumvention of the moderation system.
24 Feb, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
It's situational I suppose. If this case, an edit probably wasn't really "needed".

But if someone had posted something and it blew out the page width, I would be editing the post fixing it.
24 Feb, 2012, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
But I think whether or not it's reasonable isn't being questioned. It was usually reasonable, and nobody complained, but I still think to edit users posts without their permission it should go through the same moderation process as any other objectionable content. If it wasn't objectionable, it should be left up to the users discretion. That's what I'm trying to make a point of.
24 Feb, 2012, kiasyn wrote in the 4th comment:
zzzz

i fix lots of posts, usually when people post code without code tags and it looks like this
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
int random_integer = rand();
cout << random_integer << endl;
}

instead of
#include <cstdlib> 
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
int random_integer = rand();
cout << random_integer << endl;
}

today it was a fixed-width text copy/paste instead of code, so w/e

do you guys want me to add it to the rules that admins and mods can edit posts for formatting purposes? :)

(PS. inb4 giant drama)
(PPS. if user wants to change his formatting back, he can go ahead, I'm not going to stop him)
25 Feb, 2012, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
kiasyn said:
zzzz

I was going to comment on the innocuous nature of the edits until I saw this 'tude.

Now I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with the approach.

Please try again, Kiasyn, this time without being a jerk.

I don't think the formatting edits I've seen are a big deal, but probably you should handle member concerns with a little more respect.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
25 Feb, 2012, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
@Kiasyn Nobody has complained (that I know of) about you editing their posts until now. In the instance this thread was spawned from the guy legitimately didn't want his non-code formatted using the code tag.

(PPS. if user wants to change his formatting back, he can go ahead, I'm not going to stop him)

No, the code on the site is stopping him. Which I guess is sort of like you stopping him. Members can't edit their posts indefinitely after it was created.
25 Feb, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 7th comment:
I saw the post before it was edited.

It was basically a big goober of spam.

After the edit it was still a big goober of spam, but at least it was nicely formatted.
25 Feb, 2012, kiasyn wrote in the 8th comment:
Runter said:
@Kiasyn Nobody has complained (that I know of) about you editing their posts until now. In the instance this thread was spawned from the guy legitimately didn't want his non-code formatted using the code tag.

No, the code on the site is stopping him. Which I guess is sort of like you stopping him. Members can't edit their posts indefinitely after it was created.

haha really, okay did not know that :P
28 Feb, 2012, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
It's nice to see that some of our mods still have the same old cavalier attitude about moderation that they had in the bad old days. Plus ca change, as they say…
29 Feb, 2012, Kjwah wrote in the 10th comment:
Runter said:
But I think whether or not it's reasonable isn't being questioned. It was usually reasonable, and nobody complained, but I still think to edit users posts without their permission it should go through the same moderation process as any other objectionable content. If it wasn't objectionable, it should be left up to the users discretion. That's what I'm trying to make a point of.

I agree but I disagree at the same time. I agree, it would have been polite to ask if an edit was okay but at the same time, I don't see how he should have to ask permission. If he wants to, he should be able to make edits without much flak from end users. Then again, I look at this as a private forum ran by individuals who don't have to provide this service.
29 Feb, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 11th comment:
Then again, I look at this as a private forum ran by individuals who don't have to provide this service.

It is not a 'private forum' as it is publicly published.
If you start editing content, you are no longer considered as a provider, but as a publisher,and the responsabilities are definitely not the same, especially legally.
They could jsut send a PM to ask the poster before editing anything as well.
Stuff like: do you agree that I edit your post: (with the edit so the poster knows what it will looks like) and a message that no answer in the next 24hours means yes.
Common courtesy ya know.
29 Feb, 2012, Davion wrote in the 12th comment:
Ya know, I think it'd be a problem if the content of the post was edited. But formatting and indentation are things we force on you guys all the time via the html/css/php. We could easily write a filter for truncating/wrapping long lines which would do the exact same "editing" of a post, but automatically. We could also write code that formats pasted snippets into code tags automatically. This is completely unnecessary though, as the volume of malformatted posts does not require this kind of development and can easily be handled by hand.

We spent a lot of time making this site cross-browser friendly, neatly formatted and scale properly*, however, due to the nature of user-submitted content, we cannot account for all possibilities so there are cases where hand formatting is necessary.

* Yes Idealiad :P, I'm aware of the fact it does not scale properly when zooming/increasing sizes. Haven't yet been able to tack the size down :S.
29 Feb, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 13th comment:
It would be nice to have a pre tag as the code tag doesn't really do the trick as it adds line numbers and colorizes(?) text.
29 Feb, 2012, kiasyn wrote in the 14th comment:
Tyche said:
It would be nice to have a pre tag as the code tag doesn't really do the trick as it adds line numbers and colorizes(?) text.

there was meant to be a 'text' tag, but it doesnt seem to be working at the mo
01 Mar, 2012, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
Kjwah said:
I agree but I disagree at the same time. I agree, it would have been polite to ask if an edit was okay but at the same time, I don't see how he should have to ask permission. If he wants to, he should be able to make edits without much flak from end users. Then again, I look at this as a private forum ran by individuals who don't have to provide this service.

It's not the content of the edit that's being objected to, really, it's the flippant response to the concern and not following the standard moderation procedures (for instance, the moderation text wasn't used).
As you might remember, people get a little sensitive about spectres of bizarre moderation…
01 Mar, 2012, kiasyn wrote in the 16th comment:
David Haley said:
Kjwah said:

It's not the content of the edit that's being objected to, really, it's the flippant response to the concern and not following the standard moderation procedures (for instance, the moderation text wasn't used).
As you might remember, people get a little sensitive about spectres of bizarre moderation…

i tagged the bottom of the post with edit by kiasyn: and why.. :)
01 Mar, 2012, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
Yes, I saw that… you probably think I'm being a stickler for procedure, but you didn't use the appropriate formatting/coloring.

At least people aren't asking you to make a post in the moderator actions section about it :wink:

And frankly I think this would all have been completely irrelevant if you'd just been a bit more circumspect in your reply here. Again, I don't think anyone truly disagrees with your decision to fix the formatting, it's the apparent disregard for concerns that has people on edge given the history here. :smile:
01 Mar, 2012, Kjwah wrote in the 18th comment:
David Haley said:
Kjwah said:

Ah, glad you brought that up as it had completely slipped my mind about the moderation procedures.
01 Mar, 2012, Ssolvarain wrote in the 19th comment:
How is a simple edit for clarity "bizarre"?

If you don't trust kiasyn to edit a post, you definitely shouldn't be trusting him not to sell out your contact information, snoop your personal messages, etc.
01 Mar, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 20th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
How is a simple edit for clarity "bizarre"?

If you don't trust kiasyn to edit a post, you definitely shouldn't be trusting him not to sell out your contact information, snoop your personal messages, etc.

Well I personaly do not 'trust' him for any of that as well…
0.0/25