27 Feb, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I did a while ago and I know others did as well.

Has anyone had any issues with it recently? For one, Facebook seems to require SSL and I don't want to bother with that.

Secondly, my app is only a white screen now. I assume they screwed around with their API once again.
27 Feb, 2012, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
Zeno said:
I did a while ago and I know others did as well.

Has anyone had any issues with it recently? For one, Facebook seems to require SSL and I don't want to bother with that.

Secondly, my app is only a white screen now. I assume they screwed around with their API once again.

At my company we maintain a few facebook apps. They only claim to require SSL. Technically they do not. It's unclear if they'd ever actually require it or if its just futureproof if they ever decide to. I don't know about the second issue.
27 Feb, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hmm I can't save the app settings without an SSL URL. So even if I enter a fake one, users get redirected to that fake SSL URL if they have https on.
27 Feb, 2012, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
Zeno said:
Hmm I can't save the app settings without an SSL URL. So even if I enter a fake one, users get redirected to that fake SSL URL if they have https on.

Okay, it may be that old accounts aren't required where new ones are. Facebook has a history of versioning their app configuration stuff and grandfathering users in.
27 Feb, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
Hmm how old? I developed the BIYG app at least 1-2 years ago.
27 Feb, 2012, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
our app is older than that, but I don't know how old exactly.
27 Feb, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 7th comment:
Zeno said:
Hmm how old? I developed the BIYG app at least 1-2 years ago.

No issues with our FB app which went live about a year ago. As far as I can tell, Runter is right about SSL not being a requirement for older apps, or being a "soft" requirement for the moment. Also, they had several methods of integration when I posted ours–maybe the requirements are dependent on integration method?

I haven't had to modify the FB code on the page since the launch. Maybe you used some API method that stopped being supported and the lack of SSL is a red herring?
27 Feb, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
Hmm. Here's what I get:

27 Feb, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 9th comment:
What happens when you don't enter anything in the Secure Canvas URL field?
27 Feb, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 10th comment:
Hmm it saved, but how does someone browsing Facebook with SSL get handled?
27 Feb, 2012, Dean wrote in the 11th comment:
It used to be the case that the user would be informed that they were going to an unsecure link and given the choice to proceed or not. Now Facebook seems to prevent going to it without providing the option.
27 Feb, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 12th comment:
Ugh.

Also they deprecated "App Profile Page"? How is an app suppose to post status updates now?
27 Feb, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 13th comment:
Dean said:
It used to be the case that the user would be informed that they were going to an unsecure link and given the choice to proceed or not. Now Facebook seems to prevent going to it without providing the option.

Hey, thanks for the tip. In my case, I have a very good web host service from http://ww.1and1.com, which provides free shared SSL as part of the higher-tier packages. It was just a matter of activating it and entering an SSL URL. Facebook didn't complain that the SSL URL is on a different hostname.

Zeno, hope it's as easy for you to sort it out. If you're shopping around for a new web host on the cheap, check out the packages from my provider. They've had a few scattered blackouts over the 9-10 years I've used them, but they've always been very prompt in dealing with them and responding to my (very few) service tickets. GL.
28 Feb, 2012, Kline wrote in the 14th comment:
I didn't check rates at 1and1, but DreamHost has pretty competitive pricing too. Just stay away from their VPS service. I have personal horror stories from that; but the shared hosting has been top-notch for the price ($120/yr ish). SSL certs are $15/yr but do require a unique IP which will run you another $4/mo ($43/yr).
0.0/14