06 Jan, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
Runter said:
To truly be successful as a mud developer I'd give these few tidbits of advice:
  • Write your software in C.

Amen :grinning:
06 Jan, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 3rd comment:
Just like it is better to use StringBuffer than String in Java in most cases.
06 Jan, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 4th comment:
Interesting! I never would have thought that. I certainly won't be refactoring to 23 characters or less but it is neat to know. =)
06 Jan, 2012, Runter wrote in the 5th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Interesting! I never would have thought that. I certainly won't be refactoring to 23 characters or less but it is neat to know. =)

Yes, constrain your database strings to 23 characters or less.
06 Jan, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 6th comment:
Runter, can you explain to me where symbols fall into all of this and whether or not this is applicable to their use? =)
06 Jan, 2012, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Runter, can you explain to me where symbols fall into all of this and whether or not this is applicable to their use? =)

It's my understanding that :symbol is like Symbol = "symbol" (const part is important) and I dunno if it would make a difference.
06 Jan, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
So a Symbol is basically just an immutable String? What happens if it is larger than 23 characters? Or 11 on a 32 bit system? Guess I could find out.
06 Jan, 2012, Chris Bailey wrote in the 9th comment:
Eh I think I get it now, doesn't seem to apply.
07 Jan, 2012, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
What are you complaining about? None of my strings are greater than 23 characters anyhow, ever. :wink:
07 Jan, 2012, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
It's a trivial problem to solve even if your strings need to be longer than 23 characters. All you have to do is split it up into a pointer hash grid where each pointer points to a string no longer than 23 characters long. Then using my algorithm that I can't be bothered to explain here you'll access the pointers in a certain order to retrieve the full string. Massive savings.
07 Jan, 2012, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
I like your idea but it has one critical flaw. You forgot that it's a reverse lookup pointer hash grid. And also make sure that everything is done with bits, because there's no reason somebody would need more than 23 bits, either.
0.0/12