07 Oct, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
If your in nano editor and accidnetly hit ctrl j so it removes your hard returns

and you log in it says converting from mac format,

how do you reset it to normal?

Vladaar
07 Oct, 2007, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
Exit without saving should do it. 'ctrl+x' 'n'
07 Oct, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 3rd comment:
That doesn't fix it.

Problem is I am not even hitting ctrl J

nano just does it sometimes.

Vladaar
07 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
vi thefile.txt
:set ff=unix
:w
:q
07 Oct, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 5th comment:
It fixed by downloading the file opening in wordpad and resaving it, and reuploading.

It's mind boggling that nano editor does that. I know I haven't hit cntrl j

It has done it twice in the last half hour to me. I love editing from server with progs too :(

Vladaar
07 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
What exactly is it doing that you're not happy about? Telling you that it's reading a mac file and converting the line endings for screen display?
08 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
I think what he's saying is happening is that he's uploading files created in windows and sometimes nano is deciding that they're mac files and converting them when they really aren't. *shrug*
I don't use nano, myself …nor wordpad, ever… when I edit files in windows I use editpad but I do most of my file editing in linux and just use gedit most of the time.. if I have to do it remotely I use vim. *shrug*
08 Oct, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:
I do use pico/nano, but refuse to touch wordpad when there's so many free text editors that are better such as editpad that Conner mentioned or Crimson Editor.
08 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
Pico's not a bad little editor, I just favor vim from my IT days, but I've never really tried nano. *shrug*
But for the Windows side of things, I agree. Just to see what it'd get me, I just googled "free text editor" and got 97,400,000 results. Of those the first listed was Crimson Editor and the second EditPad Lite.. now, I would be quite surprised if most of those millions of hits are false positives in this case, but I know every "result" on the first page is a valid result so there is certainly no shortage of options one could try as alternatives to M$ programs that use line endings that hurt code…and, since this is far from the first time I've heard about it, and the link happens to be on-screen atm for me, I think I'll check out your crimson editor myself. :wink:
08 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Fizban said:
but refuse to touch wordpad when there's so many free text editors

WordPad is the free text editor that comes with Windows, no?

I used to use Crimson Editor on Windows… then I installed the Windows version of vim. :wink:
08 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
Um, no, that'd be Notepad, which also has issues with saving stuff with the wrong line endings and such.. Wordpad is a free editor that comes with Windows but it's really meant to deal with RTF rather than text.

I've got the Windows version of VIM installed too, but I don't like it as much. It seems to have all the same functionality of its Linux counterpart, but the GUI interface it uses feels somewhat 'clunky' to me. *shrug*

Ok, looked over Crimson Editor. It does look pretty nice, but it's also got one of those GUIs that'll take a bit of getting used to. Also, according to the site, it's development sort of died off a few years ago and the new replacement project is called Emerald Editor but isn't yet available for download except as C++ source code. *shrug*
08 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Conner said:
Um, no, that'd be Notepad, which also has issues with saving stuff with the wrong line endings and such.. Wordpad is a free editor that comes with Windows but it's really meant to deal with RTF rather than text.

I'm not sure how that contradicts my statement that WordPad is also a free text editor. :smile: Just because it can do RTF and plain text doesn't mean it's not a text editor. But anyhow. :wink:

Conner said:
but the GUI interface it uses feels somewhat 'clunky' to me

How so? It's basically the same thing except that you can use shift-arrows to select (e.g. in visual mode). Just curious. :)

Conner said:
Also, according to the site, it's development sort of died off a few years ago and the new replacement project is called Emerald Editor but isn't yet available for download except as C++ source code.

Hmm, that's cool, I hadn't realized that a new one was started. (Like I said I stopped using it years ago.) To be honest, though, I can't really understand why someone would want to start a new text editor given the bazillion ones that already exist…
08 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
Couldn't really explain it any better, David, I guess just chalk it up to personal preference. *shrug*

No idea, I imagine it came down to some group of die hard fans who got tired of waiting for further development from the original crew.
09 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
Conner said:
No idea, I imagine it came down to some group of die hard fans who got tired of waiting for further development from the original crew.

Oh, I thought you meant that the same guy started a new version, not that development was picked up by other people.
09 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 15th comment:
Nah, development appears to have been picked up by a group of third party folk. *shrug*
0.0/15