12 Apr, 2010, Sorressean wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Well, here's my two cents (for what it's worth).

I personally prefer Debian, either for people who are experienced with Linux or just getting started. Things are easy to deploy and extremely easy to configure in most cases with the package manager. I run a linode, which is a VPS, though they balance it out, and that's what I do most of my dev work on. Their packages are really cheap, and I've not had any problems with them, if your looking for a dedicated server. You can also deploy other distros such as gentoo, slackware, ubuntu, debian, fedora, etc. They allow you to delete your profile and redeploy, which takes like 30 secondss, so you cann play with your different choices.
If you sign up, I would prefer if you would use my referal. :)
http://www.linode.com/?r=7bb9ad2d4d5dd2b...
09 May, 2011, amanita wrote in the 42nd comment:
My two cents for hobby mud owners who want their low wattage silent server run under their table 24/7.

For small custom built fanless machines like 4-500 MHz CPU, around 64 MB or less RAM, cf-to-ide flash storage around 128 MB or less:
I prefer Slax (Slackware based distro) using the core pack (and an added python 2.6 in my case). It consumes 66 MB disk space, basic net included: like dhcp or ftp and ethernet drivers all auto-configured, also you can add Midnight Commander to the core pack it will cost another 1 MB.
Not too much cpu power needed for Slack, the OS runs a few essential loops only consuming indetectable amounts of CPU power and very few MB of ram. It is still a standard linux, running the mayor programming languages smoothly: like c c++ ruby perl python etc.

For smaller than the above config, or configs with esoteric hardware:
I prefer standard NetBSD with carefully selected packages, or in some cases special releases like the one that run on an i386 SX (or better) CPU with 4 MB RAM (or more). NetBSD has a linux binary compatibility layer.

Also (for lulz and historical purposes) there is a possibility that you can install a packet driver on MS-DOS (5.0 is free to download ) for your ISA net card, so all you need is to port your C mudbase using the already free Turbo C, compile it, run it. It is possible to run an MS-DOS server on i386 or less with 2-4 MB RAM. In this case I recommend an i486 cpu though with 16 MB ram and a cf-to-ide or similar noiseless storage. Basically this was the recommended config for the 'ol CircleMUD 2.x back from the '90-s.

Regards.
10 May, 2011, oenone wrote in the 43rd comment:
Blinx said:
quixadhal said:
If you want exotic, go find yourself a copy of OpenVMS.

You just broke my heart.

That looks so good (reminds me of Amiga OS) yet I don't have a VAX or Itanium based system (the later one being no. 2 on my "what I would do if I had money to burn" list).

Try FreeVMS, then. It runs on amd64-compatible PCs.
24 Nov, 2011, Joseph Locke wrote in the 44th comment:
CentOS is a great operating system and in my own experience has been completely devoid of whatever fallacies David was indirectly alluding to. Still not quite sure what they were… something about him not knowing how to update a linux box or some such, but anyway..

Debian is a brilliant project (shameless plugging here) with solid stability and easily accessible repositories containing well-maintained packages for anything you might need. Of course, Debian has the additional bonus of not being Ubuntu :)

Between the two, I would only really suggest CentOS first if you are primarily (or will be) reselling hosting, using the cloud, distributed applications, etc.. Short of that, the 'enterprise' doesn't really out-sell or out-perform Debian.

Edit: For what it's worth, I primarily use Arch Linux/Windows 7, both 64-bit, both heavily retrofitted to support application development and targeted builds. I contribute to and maintain a couple projects for Arch, mostly dealing with emulated systems. I also have a Debian server for local testing and a BSD box acting as my firewall.
24 Nov, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 45th comment:
Do you often show up to 6-month-old threads to insult people on dubious grounds? :wink: Only to recommend nothing new, and even agree with people you're insulting?
24 Nov, 2011, Joseph Locke wrote in the 46th comment:
David Haley said:
Do you often show up to 6-month-old threads to insult people on dubious grounds? :wink: Only to recommend nothing new, and even agree with people you're insulting?

I have not made any insults. The only dubious posts in this thread were those from you, concerning the supposed flaws of RHEL. That is what I was alluding to with the joke in my previous post. Recommending something new isn't what was asked of us by the OP. I responded to the OP with information that a) met his criteria and b) I could support with experience. I don't know what "agreeing with people" in the thread has to do with anything at all, but since we have done away with the notion that I was posting for the sole reason of insulting you (on suspect grounds, no less) we can but only speculate as to what purpose your second question served.

As to your first question, the answer is obvious.. No more often than every six months.
24 Nov, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 47th comment:
I'm not sure if I should congratulate or bemoan your glibness.
24 Nov, 2011, Joseph Locke wrote in the 48th comment:
A depthless inquisition warrants a glib response.
24 Nov, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 49th comment:
Hey, man, welcome to a necrothread. :wink:
24 Nov, 2011, Runter wrote in the 50th comment:
Let's give them somethin' to talk about. How about love?
24 Nov, 2011, quixadhal wrote in the 51st comment:
Happy Thanksgiving Day!

24 Nov, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 52nd comment:
Joseph Locke said:
completely devoid of whatever fallacies David was indirectly alluding to. Still not quite sure what they were… something about him not knowing how to update a linux box or some such, but anyway..

Joseph Locke said:
heavily retrofitted

retrollfitted moarliek amirite
24 Nov, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 53rd comment:
Cratylus said:
amirite

No.

Thread ended here:
24 Nov, 2011, Joseph Locke wrote in the 54th comment:
How do you make a Thanksgiving turkey look unappetizing? Like ^ that..

I was trying to find a tactful way to apologize for trolling and the six month necro, when I decided to re-read the thread and realized, "I'm not trolling!"

Deimos supported his original point with evidence, cited multiple sources, and systematically responded to each and every point David brought up. Whereas David just kept trolling, contributing absolutely nothing to the discussions but a burden of proof (which is a logical fallacy, for argument's sake) which Deimos met anyway… before dipping out of the conversation without really addressing Deimos' responses with anything accurate, valid, or relevant.

You made no point other than that it would be really difficult to keep PHP 2 updated. Lol.
——————————————————————————————————————————–

soldierofthelord said:
David Haley said:
"I think that these are legitimate answers." (sorry, couldn't resist)

Lol, no need to apologize. Poking fun at other people in a friendly manner is both something that I do and don't mind being done to me.
24 Nov, 2011, Runter wrote in the 55th comment:
Since we're necroing….

Blinx said:
I just thought of the 3 operating systems I consider the worst choices for a server (from worst to best of the worst :lol:) :
1. MacOSX

OSX isn't a bad choice at all for a server. It may not be the best, but I would definitely not put it as the absolute worst of the worst.
24 Nov, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 56th comment:
quixadhal said:
Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Mmmm… Good idea, but too late to wrap it in bacon. Maybe next year. :-)
25 Nov, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 57th comment:
You're pretty funny, Joseph. Happy baconsgiving :wink:
25 Nov, 2011, Runter wrote in the 58th comment:
Looks like epic meal time to me.
25 Nov, 2011, oenone wrote in the 59th comment:
Joseph Locke said:
How do you make a Thanksgiving turkey look unappetizing? Like ^ that..

It's with Bacon! Everything is better with Bacon!
25 Nov, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 60th comment:
40.0/61