30 Sep, 2007, Ryanicus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey Folks,

Since the questions I've posted so far have yielded good information, I will surely continue to read and post. I got the skeleton of the website up & running with QSFP. The next thing I wanted was a link to the mud so I added
<a href="telnet://lush.mcp-server.com:1234">Connect to ShillMUD.</a>
into the news. When I click the link it opens a telnet window saying it's connecting…… then it tries port 23, fails and closes. I'm really confused by this because it works perfectly when I run the telnet from start > run.

I realize telnet's not the best client to introduce someone to a mud and it also excludes macs and vista users. I know some sites use applets but I have no experience with java and only limited experience with web design. Is it possible to just plug something in and aim it at my mud? Thanks again.

-R
30 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Code looks fine to me. What site has it on there?
30 Sep, 2007, Ryanicus wrote in the 3rd comment:
30 Sep, 2007, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Clicking on the telnet link worked just fine for me. Launched SecureCRT ( my system's default telnet client ) and produced your login screen.

What telnet program did it open when you clicked on it?
30 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
Yep the link works for me too.
30 Sep, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
Works for me. I'm using WinXP Pro with the default telnet client.
01 Oct, 2007, Vladaar wrote in the 7th comment:
Hey guys,

Try this one, and level to avatar, for some reason it doesn't work for me. Heh, j/k guys, yes I got jokes today.
Sorry for hijacking your post, I was bored.

telnet://6dragons.org:4000/
01 Oct, 2007, Ryanicus wrote in the 8th comment:
No prob. I'm not ready for players anyhow.

I still can't connect. It just opens a telnet window before failing and closing within a second. If it's working for everyone else, that's good enough for me. Thanks for testing it.

-R
01 Oct, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 9th comment:
You said it tries port 23. It shouldn't be. You have it set as port 1234.

Test it out on another computer?
01 Oct, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 10th comment:
Works for me as well, looks like a probable configuration error somewhere on your computer.
01 Oct, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 11th comment:
Actually, wait, I believe I know why it's doing that. Type this into your URL bar and tell me if it takes you to the MUD properly, if it does i believe it's related to the configuration of your browser.

telnet://lush.mcp-server.com 1234
01 Oct, 2007, Ryanicus wrote in the 12th comment:
I'm using Opera and it seems to be configured correctly but I get the same error. No worries, as long as everyone else can connect. I use Zmud myself.

-R
02 Oct, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 13th comment:
I'd hope you don't actually use telnet…..Even older versions of zMUD leave me feeling debilitated, all I ever use is zMUD 7.21 and cMUD 1.34.
03 Oct, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 14th comment:
Hehe, the mud client I use (Pueblo) has been out of production for like 6 years…
04 Oct, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 15th comment:
Brinson said:
Hehe, the mud client I use (Pueblo) has been out of production for like 6 years…

That was once my favorite client. Isn't the source for it available? Someone should start maintaining it again. :p
04 Oct, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 16th comment:
Yeah, its available.

Pueblo UE kinda maintains it…but they don't do much…

http://pueblo.sourceforge.net/
06 Oct, 2007, jjack wrote in the 17th comment:
Are you hosting it on your own machine?

If you have a router and port forwarding setup you usually can't telnet from your machine, to the IP of your router, and have it port forwarded back to the machine you're on. It'll tell you that it can't connect but it will work for everyone else. Don't know if that helps at all but I just know that *I* was tearing my hair out for a couple hours last night until I finally had the smarts to ask someone else to telnet in to me.
07 Oct, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 18th comment:
The problem is unrelated. The link takes him to port 23 not 1234.
0.0/18