15 Sep, 2011, Markov_AU wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey,
Has anyone gotten their MUD tweeting properly since the Twitter API change a while back that made it so cURL stopped being a valid method to do so? I know at least a few other MUDs used to tweet on statups, and special bonus's etc.

Thanks,
15 Sep, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
I just created a Python script with the Twitter API and it works. I used Tweepy though.
15 Sep, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 3rd comment:
Here's a link to my php implementation. It reads a line from a MySQL server table but it can be easily tweaked to read from a flat file instead.

I use a crontab call every 3 min.:
*/3 * * * * lynx -dump http://<<your server IP>>/twitter/autotweet.php >> tweet.log

In order to set this up, you need to create a tweeter application account, use your CONSUMER_ID & CONSUMER_SECRET strings to generate an accessToken and an accessSecretToken (1-time deal), then plug all 4 of these in the "new TwitterOAuth" call that's inside autotweet.php.

For more info on configuring the authentication, see: https://github.com/abraham/twitteroauth/...
15 Sep, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
It seems that it would be easier to do this from the server directly, on-demand, rather than running a process every three minutes… Are you doing this because it's easier to go through PHP than C for the web calls?
15 Sep, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 5th comment:
@Markov_AU

At the time I set mine up, OAuth was very new and I could only find two easy-to-use libraries, one in Python and one in PHP. I now see a much longer list, including one entry in the C++ section which uses curl. Might want to check that one out first.
23 Sep, 2011, Markov_AU wrote in the 6th comment:
I'm looking at using Net::Twitter and Perl… seeing as I can't install tweepy on my hosted server.
23 Sep, 2011, Markov_AU wrote in the 7th comment:
Well I've changes my mind after butting my head into CPAN for almost 24 hours… TTYtter is the winner to make my life easier
Markov_AU said:
I'm looking at using Net::Twitter and Perl… seeing as I can't install tweepy on my hosted server.
0.0/7