27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've begun helping a friend out with his new venture in creating a MUD, and I've had a few hiccups with the OLC creation of spells/skills. I can make them just fine, but I can't figure out how to delete them after screwing up with a name (it creates a double) because Opyt is an asshole.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
27 Sep, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
You can always delete them from the system/skills.dat file if your OLC isn't working; just make sure the MUD is down when you do that.

… and incidentally who/what is Opyt?
27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 3rd comment:
Opyt (read backwards) is the demonic spirit of typos.

Oh yeah, thanks.
27 Sep, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Meryk said:
Opyt (read backwards) is the demonic spirit of typos.

Oh… Yeah. I should've known that. :redface:
27 Sep, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
This begs the question though, is it feasible to make a command/extension of a command, to delete an OLC skill?
27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 6th comment:
A field added to 'sset' to delete the skills/spells would be nice. It would remove the need to shutdown the mud if someone only has 1 port available to use.
27 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
I guess I missed where Meryk established in this that he's doing this on a smaug derivative or smaug codebase… but, yes, I believe I saw that the addition of a delete option for deities, spells/skills/tongues, boards, and so forth had at one time been proposed on The FUSS Project, I'm not sure whatever came of it though…at least, not right off-hand. In fact, the idea of adding an OLC means to delete deities comes directly from the inclusion of changes from the release of Smaug 1.8.
27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 8th comment:
Oh yeah. Sorry about not mentioning the codebase. I'm severely drugged up on cold meds, and the thought process is lacking quite a bit. Thanks C.
27 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
Well, while it would've been very helpful for you to have mentioned it, Meryk, I was really jumping at the lot of them for assuming that it was Smaug Based (or at least diku-derived) than at you for forgetting to mention it. :lol:
27 Sep, 2007, Guest wrote in the 10th comment:
Well I think he was assumed to be talking about Smaug since the process was described as OLC skill/spell creation. Had it been LP then it likely would have sounded very different.

Kayle said:
This begs the question though, is it feasible to make a command/extension of a command, to delete an OLC skill?

This is something I keep meaning to put in AFKMud since it's only logical to be able to destroy what you create. But even without a direct OLC method to delete a skill you can work around a typo in the name by simply giving the skill a new name rather than creating a second one with the right name.
27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 11th comment:
I tried to do that, but each time it would create a duplicate under the new name rather than just changing the name. I'm using FUSS 1.8, btw. I could probably recreate the problem if you want.
27 Sep, 2007, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
So you did something like:
sset <skill> name <new name>
and instead of renaming the bad one it created new entries? If so that's a bug that needs fixing.
27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 13th comment:
Exactly. I believe I would go through the following steps.

slookup skillname

sset sn name new name

sset save skill table

I ended up with 2 skills under the exact same name (Sacred Divinity), and two more the way I wanted them.
27 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 14th comment:
The exact same name? Or was one of the two capitalized differently? (Just a hunch here, Samson…)
27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 15th comment:
The same name. Boggled my mind.
27 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
There must be some difference, different SN #s at least? Otherwise how would the code know there were actually two of them? Unless it's only displaying it twice on you… had you rechecked it after a hotboot/reboot?
27 Sep, 2007, Meryk wrote in the 17th comment:
Yes. Although, the SN theory could be true.
28 Sep, 2007, Conner wrote in the 18th comment:
Okay, unfortunately, at this point I'm out of my depth, at least given what info you've given us to work with.. I'd offer to consider the issue and see if I can think of anything else for you to try over the next couple of days, but I leave in the morning for a short trip that will have me out of town until Wednesady, and I imagine that you'd really like to find some semblence ofa solution before then. What I can do is reassure you as firmly as possible that you're in good, quite possibly the best possible, hands with Samson, David, Kayle, and some of the others who read these regularly but who haven't yet contributed to this thread looking into it for you though.
28 Sep, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 19th comment:
Note: Moved to SMAUG forum.
28 Sep, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
One thing that appears to be a bug is that changing a skill's name will not cause the skill table to be resorted, and hence that skill will no longer be referable by name, but only by number. (Note that this appears to have been the case both before and after my skill table rehaul.) However, that should not matter in this particular case because we are acting upon skills that we just created and hence were put in the non-sorted section of the skill table, where there is not binary but linear search.

Could you please post an exact list of steps to create and demonstrate the problem, including exactly which version of FUSS you're using, etc. Thanks. :smile:
0.0/20