08 Aug, 2011, Michael wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
*Note: I apologize for posting about my services again, they just seem to have been buried over time so I just thought I'd post an updated listing of my services for new comers.

theMUDhost.net is a free hosting service (we also provide cheap paid hosting for users who may wish to advance or have a lot of players) that provides service to anyone who wants it. You don't need to be experienced with linux command line or running a MUD. We do our best to get you set up with your own shell and get your MUD up and running. If you experience compiling issues or start-up issues, we will do our best to get it working for you. I do not refuse anyone who needs free hosting. I remember 10 years ago when I got into MUD-ing and not being able to afford hosting. You jumped at any hosting opportunity you could. Anyways, here is my current setup and what services I offer:

Server 1: (mud.themudhost.net) - Free Hosting Server
- 2 x AMD Opteron 2356 Quad-Core 2.3 GHz 512Kb L2 Cache and 2MB L3 Cache (8 cores)
- 8GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667 MHz ECC Registered Memory
- 5x500 GB Hard Drives (2x500GB Seagate SATAII HDs in RAID1 for Operating System, 3x500GB SATAII HDs in RAID5 for /home)
- Debian 6.0.2 Squeeze (64-bit with 32-bit libraries installed)
- 3.0Mbit/768Kbit ADSL with Static IP
- GCC Versions 3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 4.3, and 4.4, G++ Versions 4.3 and 4.4, MySQL, Valgrind, Nano, YACC, Lex, Lua, Apache, PHP5, Python 2.6, Java 1.6, Wine and more…
- 24/7 Server Monitoring, Generator Backup, UPS Backup,

Users Get:
- 3.0% of CPU and MEM usage
- 1GB of Storage on a RAID5 array
- 2 Ports
- 1 Login
- 10 Simultaneous Shell Logins
- 10 Background Processes
- 1 MySQL Database
- Domain Hosting, Sub-Domains
- Email Hosting
- Automatic Backups

Server 2: (excalibur.themudhost.net) - Paid Hosting Server (Linode 512 Package)
- Intel Xeon L5520 Quad-Core 2.23 GHz
- 512MB RAM
- 20GB of Disk Space
- Debian 6.0.2 Squeeze (32-bit)
- *200Mbit+ Connection
- GCC Versions 3.4, 4.1, and 4.3, and 4.4, G++ Versions 4.3 and 4.4, MySQL, Valgrind, Nano, Yacc, Lex, Lua, Apache, PHP5, Python 2.6, Java 1.6, Wine and more…

* - I am not sure what speed Linode servers are, but I've measured it at over 200Mbits I believe.

Users Get:
- 5.0% CPU and MEM Usage
- 250MB of Disk Space
- 10 Ports
- 5 Logins
- 30 Simultaneous Logins
- 20 Background Processes
- 5 MySQL Databases
- Domain Hosting, Sub-Domains
- Email Hosting
- Automatic Backups

If you're interested in using my services, just go to http://www.themudhost.net and click on the Applications tab and then MU* Hosting. I offer other services such as TeamSpeak, Database Hosting, Email Hosting and Web Hosting. Hope to hear from you.
05 Oct, 2011, zany wrote in the 2nd comment:
Out of interest, why do you provide this service and what do you get out of it?
05 Oct, 2011, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
zany said:

I can't speak for the OP, but all of the services I offer free of charge to people are simply expressions of altruism. Hopefully OP is doing so for the same reason.
06 Oct, 2011, Kjwah wrote in the 4th comment:
zany said:

Not everyone that does something nice for people do it for something in return.
06 Oct, 2011, Runter wrote in the 5th comment:
Some people do it for the same reason they run a mud for free.
11 Oct, 2011, Michael wrote in the 6th comment:
I provide this service because I am a long time MUD player. Not as long as some people I'm sure, but I've been in it for about 13 years. I just figure providing free service is my way of giving back to the community. The free server was specifically built for free MUD hosting. Everything was bought on eBay and thrown together. I don't really look for anything in return.
11 Oct, 2011, Michael wrote in the 7th comment:
I should probably also add that I enjoy Linux and server administration more so than MUDding so this is more of a learning experience rather then me providing a free service for nothing. I get knowledge.
0.0/7