05 Aug, 2011, Lyanic wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
The 7th Plane has been in active development for nearly a decade, and is unlike any other MUD you have ever played. It is a dark fantasy, hack-and-slash style game with a major emphasis on crafting, and is set in an entirely original world. We recently launched a major new version of the code, Planar 2.5, and have seen a small uptick in player activity. There is always room for more, though. So, if you enjoy a challenging game, played with friendly people, then we would love to have you join us. If that is not enough to convince you, then here are some of the game's more prominent features:

- 4 unique classes, each with drastically different styles of progression and game play
- Highly walkable world, with spatially realistic layout and ASCII maps available
- Complex NPCs with interesting behavioral routines
- Skills and spells that improve through usage, where nearly every action improves your character in some way
- In-depth crafting system with 90 different raw materials
- Ability to fully dissect victims, dead or alive
- Options to gain experience points for activities other than killing NPCs
- Physics based game mechanics and dynamic weather
- Steep learning curve that weeds out griefers (I assure you this is a feature)
- Advanced protocol support, including MSDP, MXP and Xterm-256
- 99.999% up-time and no characters ever deleted

Still not enough convincing? Below are a few examples of some of the gameplay.

Macabre: http://www.7thplane.net/resources/logs/d...

Symbolic: http://www.7thplane.net/resources/logs/d...

Deadly: http://www.7thplane.net/resources/logs/d...

Now it is time for a few disclaimers:
1) The game is originally derived from God Wars, but it is not God Wars. The code is largely custom, written in C++. It is still bound to the original Diku, Merc and God Wars licenses, and follows them, though. If you login expecting God Wars, you will be disappointed. If you normally avoid God Wars and the type of players it attracts, have no fear.

2) The numbers are small and you will die - a lot. Do not be surprised if you initially receive 1-3xp at a time. This is normal, and everything is adjusted accordingly. If you die, there is no need to worry over it. Death is almost meaningless. Many of the players have a meta-game of trying to find the most unique ways of dying. There are quite a few.

3) The world is colorized (ANSI, or Xterm-256 if your client supports it). It is colored in a consistent and logical fashion. Water is blue, grass is green and blood is red. Every attempt is made to keep clashing colors away from each other. Still, some people vehemently dislike color in their text based games. To those people, you have the option of turning it off. In the future, we would like to support a finer resolution of color settings, but it is all or nothing for now.

4) The world has a unique aesthetic when it comes to describing things. Descriptions are typically limited to 1-3 lines, and only important things are described. If you do not read them, you will probably be lost or dead. This is a conscious design choice, because the average person will not read one wall of text after another - skimming at best. We understand that some people do like to read more, so we try to incorporate keyword based, hidden extra descriptions. However, if you are in the small, vocal minority that expects a wall of text attached to every room, object and character in a MUD, you will not find that here.

If you are worried about the game being too difficult, you need not be. The help entries are decent and someone is usually around to answer any questions. If the rest of the post sounds good to you, consider this an invitation to try out a unique game, and maybe become a part of our community. Hopefully, there will be some new names populating the 'who' list soon!

Host : 7thplane.net
Port : 8888
06 Aug, 2011, RoFAdmin wrote in the 2nd comment:
Hello,

I would like to say that this is perhaps one of the better Promotional Posts for a MUD i have seen recently. I think it is well written, gives important information without being to lengthy.
Writer seems to have a good grasps of what his target audience is looking for and not looking for and clearly expressed those things.
All in all i give this promotion 4/5 stars, and certainly if i was in the market to get in to a new game right now, I would of checked yours out.

I also like that you have a website that you posted in there as well. Any game with a website is +1 to me over anyone without.
Suggestion on the website though, some of the brighter colors(bright red and bright yellow) on the pages for text are a bit painful on the eyes to read all the text there. Just something to consider.

_-Menser-_
07 Aug, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Out of curiosity, since you only praised the post, what makes it 4/5 and not 5/5?
07 Aug, 2011, RoFAdmin wrote in the 4th comment:
The fact my eyes are still bleeding from reading their website, lol.

That was really it. I felt like the post was well done, and vital information was there, and the fact they have a website is great, but I really felt like it was assaulting my eyes 90% of the time I was trying to read it. Not trying to insult anyone's design eye, but I didn't feel the look of the website was given the same time and thought as the post which is sad, cause while a post can pull me in, really the deciding factor is usually the website for me.

Its "easy" to put up a mud, install some snippets, and make a well written misleading post about your game.
Its "easy" to put together a website with some information on your game.
Its not that easy to create a good looking, informative, well planned website.

So typically when i see a good deal of time was put in to the website of a game, I feel like at-least that level of dedication, and enthusiasm went in to making the game.
0.0/4