12 Apr, 2007, Mystic wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey , Im Mystic

Im new to this whole "MUD" thing but ive been playing a few muds on and off until quite recently ive decided to try make my own mud. Yes I know I will need to learn "Coding" and many other thing. I no Visual Basics 6 but thats about it. Im just wanting to know what code base I should use? Some links to Tutorials or anything thats helpful for a Noob would be nice. I want something with basic features but with alot of potential and is very stable. I have a couple of friends who are welling to help also.

I'm completely newbie to this whole mud thing so I would be happy for anyones helping me to understand how it all works and everything. I've looked at wiki and its helped me a bit but I won't some help from people have have made and played muds.

I've played WoW, CS, Americas Army , Jk3 and a bunch of other games. But until recently ive been in texted based as I like the thougth of imaging the world in my perspective. Thanks.

:biggrin:
12 Apr, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
You might find it better to join an existing project, where others can help you learn the ropes. Once you're more confident, you could then try creating your own mud.
12 Apr, 2007, syn wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yeah, most find it easier, and better to play on a certain base for a while (year +) to really get to know it before you even choose to work on a MUD.

I think you would do yourself great favor learning all the aspects of your favorite codebase by playing through it, exploring, seeing how it works as a living breathing world. Then take a look under the hood. In the meantime you could get some c, c++ (or whatever language your codebase of choice is in) books and start doing some exercises to learn the stuff youll need to work on your codebase once your intimately familiar with it.

Good Luck in any event :)

-Syn
12 Apr, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 4th comment:
KaVir said:
You might find it better to join an existing project, where others can help you learn the ropes. Once you're more confident, you could then try creating your own mud.

I would agree with that. As far as codebase…I don't subscribe to the idea that any are "better" than others, its just a matter of what you want out of your mud. If I were you I'd check out Rom, Smaug, Socketmud, Dead-Souls, Coffeemud, Dawn of Time, and any others you might like and see which one you like better, then start toying around with it.
12 Apr, 2007, Mystic wrote in the 5th comment:
okay guys thanks for the help im gona have a look at some muds and play them :)
12 Apr, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 6th comment:
18 Sep, 2007, TaylorZell wrote in the 7th comment:
There truly are too many MUD code bases out there to choose from, I have had great success with SMAUG and CircleMUD. CircleMUD is great now with the Oracle system. It basically adds in a table where you can view all changes you are making to your mobs/rooms/objects. SMAUG I just feel doesn't have all the crap that the usual code bases do. If you look at SMAUG code it is a very stripped down form, it isn't necessarily the bare minimum, I mean there is still code in there that servers very little purpose but it is a very small amount compared to other code bases.
18 Sep, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
Are you sure you're talking about Smaug and not something else? Smaug has a ton of things in it that a lot of other stripped down bases like Merc or Rom don't have in them. Smaug also has less of a problem with being a disorganized mess the way Circle is :)
18 Sep, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 9th comment:
If I were going to work on a new mud and had a server that had massive amounts of ram I'd go with moo. Its one of the only languages specifically written for muds, which makes it outrageously simple while still powerful. You can do everything from recode the character creation system to adding commands and entire systems using moo code. I can't actually think of anything moo code can't do, and its so much simpler than C or most languages.

Hell, its easier than Basic. ;)

That said, a moo database can easily end up several hundred MBs and it loads all of that into ram…so…you'll need a nice amount of ram to run the beast. ;)

Also, that said, the only moo DBs available are 100% stripped down with no features, systems, ect besides movement and communication. None of them are even remotely "pre-designed" for a combat mud and it would take many, many hours of coding to get it up to snuff for something like that.

However, it is nice…in a moo…if I decide I want to create a new command which does something 100% unique that I had never even thought about before…it will take me a few minutes to code it and seconds to impliment it, which is very nice.
0.0/9