07 Jul, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
KaVir said:
Rarva.Riendf said:
If he just break connection he is still logged, and if he reconnects he will get his past connection back.

If you drop your connection your character remains, but your connection data (DESCRIPTOR_DATA in Merc derivatives) is discarded. When you reconnect a new DESCRIPTOR_DATA is allocated and initialised, and linked to your old character. So it depends where the WAIT_STATE variable is stored. I just had a quick look at Merc, and it does seem to store it in the character - but I recall playing other muds where the WAIT_STATE didn't persist across connections, so perhaps it was changed.

It's still an annoying solution though, if it's blocking all input.

It will remain as the wait state is in the char the desc really only have the char input in itself, basically no other gameplay info at all.
It is only blocking all input by choice, not really because of the code architecture itself, so it can be easily modified, and as I said…I can do it already, I just chose not to, yet.

I will ask a very basic example and tell me what you would do:
One of the basic warrior skill is to spin himself and makes lots of damage in the process, the action is off course damage now, recover from the spin after.
Let say the warrior kill his target with this skill. While he recovers his input is queued. But his leader see the fight is over and start to move.

Should the warrior follow ? (but still being 'lagged') (convenience for everyone, not realistic)

Should the leader be said:one of your party member is busy, wait for him ? And not move. (or move his choice) :easy to give him the info that the group is ok to move as well. And flag all skill that allow to move while being performed (like casting so people can spellup while the leader find his way as an example)

'Reastically' I would go for the second solution, but I fear player find it is an annoyance. (The few I have are not the right person to ask anyway, even loophole fix can make some of them angry….).

All of this is purely design questions, so just asking what you have done in this case.
07 Jul, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 22nd comment:
Votes: 0
Rarva.Riendf said:
I will ask a very basic example and tell me what you would do:
One of the basic warrior skill is to spin himself and makes lots of damage in the process, the action is off course damage now, recover from the spin after.
Let say the warrior kill his target with this skill. While he recovers his input is queued. But his leader see the fight is over and start to move.

Should the warrior follow ? (but still being 'lagged') (convenience for everyone, not realistic)

Should the leader be said:one of your party member is busy, wait for him ? And not move. (or move his choice) :easy to give him the info that the group is ok to move as well. And flag all skill that allow to move while being performed (like casting so people can spellup while the leader find his way as an example)

'Reastically' I would go for the second solution, but I fear player find it is an annoyance. (The few I have are not the right person to ask anyway, even loophole fix can make some of them angry….).

Given the choice between those two options, I would go for the first.

Rarva.Riendf said:
All of this is purely design questions, so just asking what you have done in this case.

In my own mud? Area-effect attacks, like every other attack, require a certain number of seconds to execute. If your opponent moves out of range during that time, the attack fails - although most attacks can also be performed while moving, so your character will try to stay within reach. The attack could also be interrupted, for example by knocking you off your horse, or kicking you into the side of a building, etc.
20.0/22