04 May, 2011, Tijer wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Personally.. i wouldnt bother donating to frostmud.. as the server is the most useless thing i have ever had the misfortune to use.. and dont even let me get started about the owner… :P
04 May, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
Tijer said:
Personally.. i wouldnt bother donating to frostmud.. as the server is the most useless thing i have ever had the misfortune to use..

So you disagree with their claim of being "the number one free hosting provider on the planet and in history"?

I'm curious how you even managed to try it though - they make it clear that they only offer accounts to residents of the USA, Mexico and Canada, because of "language barriers"…so us Brits are ruled out, unless we relocate to Mexico to improve our English.
04 May, 2011, melopene wrote in the 3rd comment:
KaVir said:
Tijer said:
Personally.. i wouldnt bother donating to frostmud.. as the server is the most useless thing i have ever had the misfortune to use..

So you disagree with their claim of being "the number one free hosting provider on the planet and in history"?

I'm curious how you even managed to try it though - they make it clear that they only offer accounts to residents of the USA, Mexico and Canada, because of "language barriers"…so us Brits are ruled out, unless we relocate to Mexico to improve our English.

Matt's been good to me so far. I had a nice long discussion with him before deciding to use his server, and am comfortable with him as being legitimate. I do always have the option (as I've mentioned in another thread) of taking up a small bit of space on a linux server on an ISP which a close friend owns, but for now I'm happy with where I am.

I can't speak to any of the claims about grandiose, but with reference to international clients, I understand. A MUD I used to play completely banned the country of Sweden after a long series of twinkiness from players, and I think that the bit about 'language barriers' likely has more to do with problems of idiots using shells as proxy servers and causing problems for others.

But as I've said, he's been very good to me over the past few months. I have no complaints. In fact, I would be highly interested to hear exactly what your problems with him were/are, because I'm not sure at this point that this is much more than a troll or a grump.

But hey, thanks for the bump to my post. :)
04 May, 2011, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
KaVir said:
Tijer said:

I thought it was because non-North American's are shady criminals?

FronstMud Website said:
Additional Notes: Due to abuse, I only offer shells to residents inside the USA and surrounding territories like Mexico, Canada, etc. This was due to the massive abuse of accounts by international users.
05 May, 2011, Orrin wrote in the 5th comment:
It must be time for that youtube video again.

sUhGPtARj..."> sUhGPtARj..." type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
05 May, 2011, Scandum wrote in the 6th comment:
Still brings tears to my eyes.
05 May, 2011, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
Shia LaBeouf runs frostmud?
05 May, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
@Runter: Wow, the resemblance is striking. Except for the…pony tail?(2:18)
05 May, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 9th comment:
melopene said:
But as I've said, he's been very good to me over the past few months. I have no complaints. In fact, I would be highly interested to hear exactly what your problems with him were/are, because I'm not sure at this point that this is much more than a troll or a grump.

I have no issues with him, having no personal experience of his hosting services, but I do find his terms (and their implications) rather silly. On a slightly more serious note, I'd point out that both of the causes you're offering to donate to are exclusively for the benefit of US residents (and surrounding territories in the case of FrostMUD). It is of course entirely your call, and the Tornado Relief is certainly a worthy cause, but if the challenge is aimed at an international audience you might want to consider including an international charity.

Runter said:
KaVir said:
Tijer said:

I thought it was because non-North American's are shady criminals?

FronstMud Website said:
Additional Notes: Due to abuse, I only offer shells to residents inside the USA and surrounding territories like Mexico, Canada, etc. This was due to the massive abuse of accounts by international users.

It's a mixture - it's not just that we're criminals, it's also that we're not able to communicate well enough in English to understand what we're doing wrong:

FrostMUD FAQ said:
Q: Why don't you host anyone outside of the USA or surrounding territories?
A: Almost every single user I have hosted outside of the above stated countries has abused their account and used it for illicit/illegal purposes. Also, the language barriers involved have made it nearly impossible for me to explain that they cannot use their account for certain activities and they also have a very hard time understanding and reading the FAQ, Rules and Terms of Service pages.
05 May, 2011, Kayle wrote in the 10th comment:
So not only is he an idiot, but he's xenophobic too? You learn something everyday.
05 May, 2011, Keirath wrote in the 11th comment:
I have to say the tornado donation hits home for me. I am an emergency responder in TN and we had a tornado go right through the town I call home. Most of the people here don't have insurance and we are facing a lot of challenges as we move forward. I know we are lucky we didn't get hit as hard as Alabama. So Kudos on the idea.
05 May, 2011, Tijer wrote in the 12th comment:
KaVir said:
Tijer said:

this was before the last shutdown (i didnt personally have an account was helping someone else fix some stuff with their mud)… hmm not available to brits? only usa mexico and canada?
then explain how there is currently someone on there from germany who is hosting his mud there?

the lag was terrible the server took way too long to compile code.. and the owner.. was a complete di**head (see previous posted video)

This thread kind of ties up with the "free mudhost thread" whereby.. you DONT run a service like frostmud! Infact frostmud is a REASON why tracker has stuck his own server up!!
05 May, 2011, Runter wrote in the 13th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
@Runter: Wow, the resemblance is striking. Except for the…pony tail?(2:18)

Long lost brother.
05 May, 2011, melopene wrote in the 14th comment:
Guys. Seriously. WTF.

I made a post for builders, making the offer for people to have their efforts rewarded by making a donation to their CHOICE of two options, and now it's degraded into a 'let's slam on a guy who runs a free host and isn't even posting in the thread' thing? I expect this sort of thing on Fark and 4Chan, not on a message board about MUD development.

There's a whole other thread for this.
06 May, 2011, Scandum wrote in the 15th comment:
KaVir said:
I have no issues with him, having no personal experience of his hosting services, but I do find his terms (and their implications) rather silly.

From a free hosting perspective I can understand unwillingness to take the extra effort to deal with cultural differences, especially for someone with barely functional social skills (like myself).
06 May, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
Did I just read that or do my eyes deceive me? :stare:
06 May, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 17th comment:
David Haley said:
Did I just read that or do my eyes deceive me? :stare:

He probably miscommunicated.
0.0/17