03 Apr, 2011, Tracker wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello,

I am looking to start up a free mud host, but need some people to run some code on the server so I can work out the beginning kinks. If you're interested in helping me out, and need a place to develop your game, shoot me a PM and let me know that you're interested.

Please also include the following in your PM:

Why you believe I should choose you to help me with this project.
Your MUD's name
Port # Request
Username request
Description of your game, and plans you have for it.
Codebase
Does your MUD currently have any players?
Any additional information you wish to provide.
03 Apr, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Tracker said:
Hello,

I am looking to start up a free mud host, but need some people to run some code on the server so I can work out the beginning kinks. If you're interested in helping me out, and need a place to develop your game, shoot me a PM and let me know that you're interested.

Please also include the following in your PM:

Why you believe I should choose you to help me with this project.
Your MUD's name
Port # Request
Username request
Description of your game, and plans you have for it.
Codebase
Does your MUD currently have any players?
Any additional information you wish to provide.

Who are you?
03 Apr, 2011, Tracker wrote in the 3rd comment:
Use to run a lot of GodWars games, one of my releases is actually offered here on MudBytes:

http://www.mudbytes.net/file-2751

Just looking to give back to the community, after all the years :)
03 Apr, 2011, Kjwah wrote in the 4th comment:
Cratylus said:
Who are you?

who is this is?
04 Apr, 2011, sankoachaea wrote in the 5th comment:
Qui suis je?
04 Apr, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
28 Apr, 2011, Tracker wrote in the 7th comment:
Still have room for anyone else who is in need of a free mud host.
30 Apr, 2011, Kelvin wrote in the 8th comment:
Are free hosts even necessary anymore, given how cheap Linode/Rackspace/EC2 and friends are these days?
30 Apr, 2011, Kline wrote in the 9th comment:
There will always be people without access to a credit card/PayPal (mostly < 18 crowd, some older though) or who just don't have the tiny bit of cash it would take to spend on such a luxury. What is the cheapest viable host you've found that would support 1 person doing development? The cheapest that would support a game with a moderate sized world and 8-12 players?
01 May, 2011, Kelvin wrote in the 10th comment:
Rackspace is $10/month for the smallest VM. I run a website and a test instance of Evennia (which is not gentle with RAM) on one without a hitch. Excellent performance within the VM and in-game.
01 May, 2011, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
There's plenty of 5 dollar accounts that are more than enough resources for a MUD. Or 2 or 3 muds at the same time.
01 May, 2011, RoFAdmin wrote in the 12th comment:
Hey, i got a question.

Since this is a site related to muds, and there is a decent amount of mud hosts out there. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a page that linked to the various hosts websites. You know, to make it easier to find appropriate hosting.

Maybe even make it possible for people to review a host…

Just an idea
01 May, 2011, Kline wrote in the 13th comment:
You could always create an article containing all of that. I bet some people would even be nice enough to come along and keep it updated if somebody were to take the initiative to get the ball rolling.
01 May, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 14th comment:
That's a great idea, everyone could contribute the hosts they use and their opinion of it too.
01 May, 2011, melopene wrote in the 15th comment:
Kline said:
There will always be people without access to a credit card/PayPal (mostly < 18 crowd, some older though) or who just don't have the tiny bit of cash it would take to spend on such a luxury.

Let us also not forget the poor grad students (and even undergrads) who scrape by semester-to-semester and try to keep their expenses down. I use a free host right now for that very reason.
01 May, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 16th comment:
Feel free to copy what I made a while back:

http://mu.wikia.com/wiki/Free_MU*_Hosts
http://mu.wikia.com/wiki/MU*_Hosts

Outdated though.
01 May, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
I wonder how much money these students spend on beer… :wink:
Honestly I think there's a psychological impact of paying… people see "$60 a year" and think it's a lot of money, whereas these same people might also cheerfully buy a latte a day at Starbucks for $4 or whatever. It's a fairly well-known effect: many small numbers are less scary than a single bigger number, even if the totals are similar.
01 May, 2011, Runter wrote in the 18th comment:
I'm not sure I'd have faith as a player in a game where the admins couldn't fit in 5 dollars a month to their budget for the sake of a game they supposedly put a lot of time and effort into.
01 May, 2011, Tracker wrote in the 19th comment:
As many others have stated all good valid points, there is also those that are just looking for a free place to start to develop their game without having to worry about the monthly charge. I remember when I started to code back in the day, I really didn't want to spend the money on something that could possibly sit there for a week or longer before I could get back to it. I've given accounts to a handful of people now and will continue to, to try and help out those that actually do need it.
01 May, 2011, Tracker wrote in the 20th comment:
Runter said:
I'm not sure I'd have faith as a player in a game where the admins couldn't fit in 5 dollars a month to their budget for the sake of a game they supposedly put a lot of time and effort into.

There are many people in the younger generation coming up that enjoy programming and would like to get into it. Some of them actually have some great ideas and make some awesome games. Aside from that type of person, just because someone can't afford the $5 shell doesn't mean that they can't make a quality mud or should be thought of differently. It's hard economic times and some people need to save money. This is one way of doing it with the various free mud hosts out there.
0.0/65