24 Apr, 2011, Sryth wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey folks,

I've been using Netbeans as my IDE of choice for quite some time, it is cross-platform and has support for every language that I use with good tools.

Unfortunately, netbeans is stopping support for python with version 7. (python support has been a community plugin anyway) So I'm forced to find something new.

I'm trying out wingware's python specific IDE and I like it a lot, the license is quite fair and it seems to have everything I need for python at least. I thought I'd post and see what others use as well though.
24 Apr, 2011, Dean wrote in the 2nd comment:
Whenever I've done something in python, I've used IDLE. I honestly can't say whether or not it is as good as others out there as I'm a red faced novice, but it seemed to work well enough for me.
24 Apr, 2011, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
I searched long and hard for a great editor/IDE that could fit my minimalist style.

Textmate

It's good enough that I paid 60 dollars for a license.
24 Apr, 2011, Sryth wrote in the 4th comment:
Dean,

IDLE is quite fine for occasional projects. If python isn't a main language for you it should be all you need.

Runter,

I like Textmate myself as an editor, unfortunately it is Mac only. Any solution for me has to be cross-platform.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Anyone else have a favourite?
24 Apr, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 5th comment:
For a long time I've used SciTE on Windows, though to be relevant to the topic it's not really an IDE, but rather something like an even more stripped down Textmate. More recently though I'm using Emacs. If you don't mind its quirks it's really great. Vim is also an option, but in my opinion its lack of support for asynchronous operations doesn't lend itself to dynamic languages like Python. The other Python IDEs seem somewhat interchangeable to me, and not really worth investing much time in.

edit: if you really want to shake things up, try out Leo + the iPython bridge.
24 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 6th comment:
Have you tried Geany?
24 Apr, 2011, Sryth wrote in the 7th comment:
Leo is a bit more than I'm looking for.

Geany is nice on linux, which is where I initially tried it and was starting to get happy, but unfortunately it is a bit crippled on windows, which I have to support. :(

So far wingware is in the lead. I appreciate the ideas though, they've at least given me a look at a couple options I hadn't looked at before.
24 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
I hadn't noticed any issues with Geany on Windows. What isn't working?
24 Apr, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
I use vim with the pysmell plugin.
25 Apr, 2011, Sryth wrote in the 10th comment:
pysmell I'd never even heard of. Thanks. I know a lot of people look for the minimalist approach and like it. vim is a bit too far in that direction for me. It seems I can find very little that has everything I want, in the way I want it, without using a commercial product. Komodo has it, but too expensive. Pycharm looks nice, but I think it needs a bit more maturity.

I think I'm going with Wing. It'll be the first piece of commercial software on my personal use machine. For me, I will generally swing wide around commercial products for my own use because of the restrictions in their licensing, but this one actually seems fair.

Chris B.

Geany was being flaky in a couple of features but after I rebooted it seemed to work ok. I sometimes forget windows is that way. A little lighter than I want, but it is oh so close.

I guess I look for a "middle-weight" sort of beast. An editor with completion isn't enough for me and something like Leo is way too much.
25 Apr, 2011, quixadhal wrote in the 11th comment:
The one true UI/IDE for all things… vi.
25 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 12th comment:
It is hard to find the right feature set. I've been using gedit with a few plugins for a long time, sometimes I still do.
25 Apr, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 13th comment:
pysmell seems neat, I'm going to try it out (if I can get it installed).
25 Apr, 2011, quixadhal wrote in the 14th comment:
vim has the right feature set.
It does syntax highlighting, and it lets you enter code.
01 May, 2011, Kelvin wrote in the 15th comment:
Eclipse + PyDev is what I've been working with the most. Excellent integration with my unit pylint/unit testing/coverage.py setup, and it catches a lot of code/formatting errors before I even commit. It is a bit ugly to configure, and very slow to start up. There are also a ton of features I don't ever use.

vim if I'm editing remotely or proofing something out really quickly.
03 May, 2011, Barm wrote in the 16th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
It is hard to find the right feature set. I've been using gedit with a few plugins for a long time, sometimes I still do.

I used gedit for so long while looking for the perfect editor that it became the perfect editor for me. It's a nice balance of features without bloat.
01 Jun, 2011, Nathan wrote in the 17th comment:
I've used Eclipse with pydev for a college class, and it seemed to work pretty well. The downside is that if you code in Java too you have to switch back and forth. I don't like IDLE, especially as it doesn't even function as a proper text editor. Although I suppose one could use an editor (Notepad++ anyone?) and then use the command line or something to run it/compile it to .pyc. I tried Netbeans once or twice, but Eclipse seems a little easier and in terms of load time very similar.
02 Aug, 2011, Mastermosley wrote in the 18th comment:
I use Visual Studio 2010, although its not the best python IDE but its essential for using IronPython. Lacks intellisense though.
0.0/18