11 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, just to let everyone know in advance, I am new to flash.

When I woke up today I thought to myself, "Hey, I should get a new toy.". All morning I was thinking how fun it
would be to get into flash development. This evening I finally made my way to the Adobe store to buy their
flash development suite. Unfortunately, Adobe Flash Super Creator Developer Suite is $700.

My question is, what are some more affordable development environments for somebody just looking to play
around? Less than $200 for sure, I'm just fine with free also. I ask you all because I'm sick of installing new IDE's
only to find out they don't work as well as I thought.
11 Apr, 2011, RoFAdmin wrote in the 2nd comment:
I have one word for you.

Torrents.

If you need a reliable site, im pretty sure i have an available invite code for the one Im on, just PM me and ill send it to you.

Added by Orrin:

From the rules:

* No promotion of illegal activities. This includes but is not limited to:
+ Pirated software, commonly referred to as "warez".
11 Apr, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
You don't need to torrent, just download the free Flex SDK and look for IDEs or plugins for your favorite text editor. It's quite simple and you'll have an .swf up in no time. If you're interested in game development I recommend the Flixel or Flashpunk frameworks.
11 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 4th comment:
RoFAdmin said:
I have one word for you.

Torrents.

If you need a reliable site, im pretty sure i have an available invite code for the one Im on, just PM me and ill send it to you.

I appreciate the offer but piracy is a big NO-NO for me. Stealing is stealing =P

Idealiad said:
You don't need to torrent, just download the free Flex SDK and look for IDEs or plugins for your favorite text editor. It's quite simple and you'll have an .swf up in no time. If you're interested in game development I recommend the Flixel or Flashpunk frameworks.

I dowloaded and installed FlashDevelop and the Flex SDK. I'm excited to try it out.
12 Apr, 2011, Runter wrote in the 5th comment:
Idealiad beat me to the punch. :) That's exactly what I did when I was toying with flash.

I wouldn't recommend buying the official developer studio unless you are making money doing it and need/want it.

Also, I'm not sure promoting criminal activity on these forums is appropriate. .. It's probably even more insulting to suggest stealing software considering this forum is mostly developers who wouldn't want their software stolen.

edit: Actually, it's a clearly bulleted rule.
* No promotion of illegal activities. This includes but is not limited to:
+ Pirated software …
12 Apr, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 6th comment:
If anyone else is interested in Flash learning tools; I just downloaded Tour De Flex and it seems wonderful.
12 Apr, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
RoFAdmin said:
I have one word for you.

Torrents.

How about we not discuss piracy?

You'd think that with people going all apeshit over Dikurivative license violations, there'd be a little more respect for not pirating software in general…

EDIT: yes, I realize people have said this already. But this is really not an acceptable thing to be discussing here.
13 Apr, 2011, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 8th comment:
tried the flex builder a few years ago. I think I had alot of trouble finding documents, using graphic layers and event listeners with buttons. Seems like the documentation on it at the time was kinda scattered.

If I remember right it would automatically add components then tell me that that components of that type, were no longer used. Seems like I had trouble with multiple containers too..two month trial was up before i figured it out.

Never used flashpunk or flixel. Was playing with a free noncommercial copy of games factory 2, it seems pretty quick and easy, at least for 2D kinda games, like the ones ya see at the counter at bars/pubs. Think they wanted 50$ usd for the commercial copy with more features turned on. Think it might be the same concept as flashpunk, as far as using pics/pixel art as animation. Dunno, but I wouldn't mind hearing about it, if anyone used it.

I really didn't like how the GF2 graphics editer imports and handles pics with transparent layers and such, tho'. Thought it was neat because they had something set up with one of those game/movie ad rev sites and had alot of space to dump apps and test them.

A little off-topic but I always thought it would be neat to put some games up on a site and split the ad rev share from it. Mainly by having a small arcade-like terminal in a public place, with a track ball and a few buttons to simulate a mouse and letting people play it for free. Maybe with the option to pay to play. Have some games up to pick from online. I call the idea the ad-rev-machine XD
07 Sep, 2011, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 9th comment:
I see older copies of flash for sale, usually under 100$. Think it was Macromedia 8.
0.0/9