04 Feb, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Okay I think I get it now. Let me try this again…

Muds are written in C for Unix. C is the end all. You need to learn C if you want to make mud.

Please discuss.
04 Feb, 2011, Asylumius wrote in the 22nd comment:
Tyche said:

Muds are written in C for Unix. C is the end all. You need to learn C if you want to make mud.

Please discuss.

I want to make a MUD for Linux instead of Unix. What programming language should I use?
04 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 23rd comment:
Asylumius said:
Tyche said:

Please discuss.

I want to make a MUD for Linux instead of Unix. What programming language should I use?

VB .net
04 Feb, 2011, Havok wrote in the 24th comment:
Cratylus said:
Havok said:
I am not sure I fully understand this statement. Is it to realise there are more than one codebase out there? I am well aware that they are. I searched three months to find python related mud.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...

Perhaps my own post was too subtle.

The problem you are describing doesn't exist. There is no shortage of non-C muds and codebases, and your statements do
more to identify you as woefully underexposed than particularly insightful in your observations.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net

Perhaps this describes you as not seeing the big picture. Perhaps you are so left brained that you don't see it. From experience I've been around 15-18 years around muds. Don't sit back on a high peddistal and act as though your are a supereme chancelor. I want a discussion not a analytical debate regarding how well you can insult someone. You know the saying, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it all" Up to this point I've haven't been hostile to anyone and any of there views and I point out that it does make sense.

No disrespect, but you didn't search very hard.

As for the python list, I did look and only found Evennia, which would be good if you were taking the Django route. Not to mention a mud competition codebase.
I have settled with Nakedmud for the time being. I've never came and actually asked a question here on mudbytes for anything. No help related questions nothing. Reason being is that most threads seems to go off the topic and others are just insulting that I'd rather just figure it out on my own. Most posted on this threads has surprisingly been respectful and a great people to talk too. Which I think I may start posting here more often.

I can see that this thread has went the other way. I was hoping for feedback, but it's turned out to be sole battle of someone looking at ones self then the discussion itself. I was hoping for people thoughts regarding the matter not how well we can discredit the whole idea.

Tyche said:

Please discuss.

Let's keep this as short as possible.. Thanks, please discuss.

I am totally open to others ideas and a healthy conversation, which is what I was hoping for.

I am just asking if your are going to be arrogant and say things to be insulting, please do it on another thread.

-Havok
04 Feb, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 25th comment:
Havok said:
Cratylus said:
Havok said:
I am not sure I fully understand this statement. Is it to realise there are more than one codebase out there? I am well aware that they are. I searched three months to find python related mud.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...

Perhaps my own post was too subtle.

The problem you are describing doesn't exist. There is no shortage of non-C muds and codebases, and your statements do
more to identify you as woefully underexposed than particularly insightful in your observations.

-Crat

Perhaps this describes you as not seeing the big picture. Perhaps you are so left brained that you don't see it. From experience I've been around 15-18 years around muds. Don't sit back on a high peddistal and act as though your are a supereme chancelor. I want a discussion not a analytical debate regarding how well you can insult someone. You know the saying, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it all" Up to this point I've haven't been hostile to anyone and any of there views and I point out that it does make sense.

I'm not sure about this talk of supreme chancellor on a pedestal and their brain hemispheres.

I will point out, however, that if discussion is what you want, you should
be pleased, because your position is being taken seriously and it is being
responded to quite constructively.

I am telling you that your assumptions are incorrect. There is no lack of
non-C muds and codebases. Indeed my favorite codebase requires no knowledge
of C whatsoever. Have you ever heard of LP muds?

You've been shown that a dead-simple Google search turns up a wealth
on information about muds in python, and if it really took you three
months, I'm thinking you were doing something wrong.

In short, you are getting what you want, a discussion around the availability
and popularity of codebases in languages other than C. It also happens that
you're mistaken in your statements about C's exclusive position in the community.
And probably that's because you are unaware of the other stuff out there.

If you listen to what is being said in this thread, maybe you'll save
yourself another three months in the library microfiche section, or
however it is you were hunting for python bases.

-Crat
04 Feb, 2011, Havok wrote in the 26th comment:
Thank you, Crat.
I understand what you are saying. It's not the fact that there are other muds out there, and plenty of them. I gave this example previously, "An example is like when we had the major oil spill. America heard the problem and it was broadcasting over the world for several weeks. Though there are other things going on besides the oil spill it was focused upon by the media. This example is kind of how my feelings are with the C topic. It seems it's focused on it even though there are other alternatives." As for the 3 months, it didn't take three months to find a python mud. It took 3 months to make a decision on what mud to settle on.

Let me get to my point. The whole reason I am discussing this is to allow others to see there are newer and different things for code bases. Yes, you are right google is our best friend and I happen to concur. I remember when I came on to a forum and asked the newb questions, "How do I program?" "What do I need to get started?" The typical, I am hoping before someone says there preferred codebase, let them choose for themselves. Supply the best information possible and let them decide. Ultimately the rhetorical comeback is, they no doubt make there decisions for themselves. However, we are the vessels to that supply the information. Let's not let our own preference sway what they choose. Thank you again Crat, I was wondering what your thought was on the situation.
04 Feb, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 27th comment:
Havok said:
The whole reason I am discussing this is to allow others to see there are newer and different things for code bases.

We've known that for a long time already, but thank you for the reminder. :smile:
04 Feb, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 28th comment:
Asylumius said:

C. Unless there's an oil spill, then you can use something else.
05 Feb, 2011, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 29th comment:
Havok said:
Once I've had enough python to suit my fancy which probably will be at least a year. I will probably take a stab at CoralMud.

Do you mean Ruby? Because CoralMud is a Ruby codebase.
05 Feb, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 30th comment:
I think CoralMud is written in ??? which is written in C. So one would be using C by proxy. :-)
05 Feb, 2011, Cratylus wrote in the 31st comment:
Havok said:
Let's not let our own preference sway what they choose. Thank you again Crat, I was wondering what your thought was on the situation.

My preference is LPC and I'm comfortable advocating it since it's a very good choice for making a mud.

I'd be pleased to have my preference sway more people, and I'm not sure why you'd think that
advocating preferences is 1) avoidable 2) bad.

You're welcome.

-Crat
05 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 32nd comment:
Tyche said:
I think CoralMud is written in ??? which is written in C. So one would be using C by proxy. :-)

If I'm using C, I normally prefer by proxy. :)
05 Feb, 2011, Exodus wrote in the 33rd comment:
Tyche said:
Havok said:
Or maybe just download one to get started…
ftp://sourcery.dyndns.org/archive/servers/othe...

Why write a MUD in Pascal? Because.
05 Feb, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 34th comment:
I've been looking into Scala a bit more seriously lately.
05 Feb, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 35th comment:
Same here, it's seems like a nice way to write to the JVM. Do you have any tutorials/books to recommend?
05 Feb, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 36th comment:
Scalazine : There is a veritable cornucopia of information here! :P

EDIT, PS: Well, there is a lot of information compared to other websites about scala. I've had a hard time finding the right introductory material myself.
05 Feb, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 37th comment:
Exodus said:

What languages haven't a mud been written?
In order to break new ground, someone needs to write a mud in Assembly,
COBOL, Fortran, or Algol. :-)
05 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 38th comment:
Tyche said:
Exodus said:

What languages haven't a mud been written?
In order to break new ground, someone needs to write a mud in Assembly,
COBOL, Fortran, or Algol. :-)

Well, maybe hasn't been done in assembly, but surely people who're into self-punishment has done the other 3.
05 Feb, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 39th comment:
Runter said:
Well, maybe hasn't been done in assembly, but surely people who're into self-punishment has done the other 3.

Roy Trubshaw wrote the first version of MUD in MACRO-10 assembly language.
Other than that, I don't think any of languages I mentioned have ever been used.

Might be an interesting project/contest.
Pick a language from this list that doesn't have mud written for it yet, and write one.
05 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 40th comment:
Someone make one using Orc.
20.0/275