14 Jan, 2011, Hades_Kane wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
My router times out connections to my MUD every 10 minutes (approx). I haven't been able to figure out how to fix this on my router, so a while back I set a zMUD alarm timer/trigger to send a blank line to my MUD. I see nothing, it interferes with nothing. All it does it keep me from idling out and I don't have to see anything go in my window and so no unnecessary spam if I'm idling for a while.

I type:

#ALARM {-9:00} {#sendprompt %char( 8)}

And every 9 minutes it refreshes and I'm good.

I'm brand new to MUSH Client because my laptop (and my roommate) have Windows 7. Is there a way to do this on MUSH Client as well? I've figured out how to send the timer, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it a completely blank timer that doesn't show any signs of it being sent to the MUD.

Thanks in advance.
14 Jan, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'd suggest asking on the MUSHclient forum; you're likely to get a much faster/better answer than here.
14 Jan, 2011, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
Are you certain it's the router and not your ISP or something else? I had (what I thought was) a similar issue before but it was due to having a dirty line from my ISP. My connection would drop for a split second, here and there, just enough to entirely disrupt anything I was doing. If I left a MUD window for awhile while I did other stuff and came back I would think it was ok; as it didn't look like it DC'ed, until I tried to send a command then I'd be immediately kicked into a reconnect.

Just saying it may not always be the router :)
14 Jan, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 4th comment:
Routers using symmetric NAT build translation tables for TCP and UDP connections.
The NAT entries will timeout and are deleted if there is no outbound activity.

1) Send something to the host every few minutes.
2) Change the TCP NAT timeout on the router.
3) Configure the client to use a specific port and open that port in the router. Probably can't be done without client source code.
14 Jan, 2011, Kaz wrote in the 5th comment:
I have had this same problem with one of my players. TELNET NOP (\255 \241) works for me.
0.0/5