30 Dec, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Recently I started playing a circle mud themed on Star Wars. I kinda like the mud and was pretty excited to play a star wars mud that wasn't swr based. Well, I created a geonosian character named Paggle which is rp appropriate but apparently the imms didn't like it because it was too close to Poggle which is already a character in the star wars universe. So I logged on to find the denial of the name after I had spent several hours the night before working on the character. On this particular mud there isn't a simple name changing command so this meant all my work had to be deleted. I wasn't very happy about that, so I asked why there wasn't a name changing command. The owner Marky replied "because it's too hard to do it correctly, you're asking too much for a free service" to which I responded "no it's not! lots of codes already do that" at which point marky said "chill" and then immediately afterward muted me. I logged onto a different character and my first sentence with that char was "you didn't have to mute me, I would have shut up after the warning." and then he muted that character. so I logged on another character and said "seriously? I was just trying to have a calm conversation and you muted me for it?" at which point he disconnected/deleted (not sure which and don't care anymore) that character. So I logged on again just because I was confused and wanted to appeal to the imm but I get the message that I can no longer create new characters.

In my opinion, Marky was WAY too quick to pull the trigger in each of those instances. He did give me a warning, but that warning was immediately followed with a punishment before I even had a chance to disobey the warning.

The point of this post was mostly to vent my anger, but it is also a warning to anybody else who might stumble upon this mud. If you have any questions about anything on that mud. don't ask them when Marky is on.
30 Dec, 2010, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
Yes. If this account of the situation is accurate (and I have no reason not to believe you) then this would be information I'd want to know before considering a game whether it's free or not. Unfortunately, it seems like some game owners don't value their players time or sensibilities much. It's best to just stay away from such places, imho.

Honestly, I think I would have just left as soon as he muted me the first time never to return without the logging into other characters.
30 Dec, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
well, at the time I didn't realize he was the only imm on or that he was the owner. so I logged back on in the hopes of appealing to the sensibilities of any other imms that might have been online at the moment.

as for the accuracy of the events, that is as accurate as I could remember. I paraphrased some of the comments but it's mostly correct.
30 Dec, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 4th comment:
It's always the Star Wars and Dragonball MUDs…. (yes, I know, Crat…)
30 Dec, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
Paggle poggle. I guess Duke Skyrunner is right out then.
31 Dec, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 6th comment:
If you want a beautiful garden one needs to remove weeds at first sight.

I've gotten deleted for a lot less as I emit strong negative vibes in the social range. Other people know they are bad and deserve punishment, they line up for the abuse, and get muted thrice on a good evening.
31 Dec, 2010, Dean wrote in the 7th comment:
Tyche said:
Paggle poggle. I guess Duke Skyrunner is right out then.

And his trusty side kick Ham Rolo. :thinking:
31 Dec, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 8th comment:
Don Rothman
31 Dec, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 9th comment:
What codebase are they using? Perhaps you could write them a generic name changing addon with simple instructions?
31 Dec, 2010, Runter wrote in the 10th comment:
Lawl. Honestly, if someone is too lazy or incompetent to do something as simple on the game they're administrating as a name change (which with most codebases *can* be done without needing code for it.) …well, probably not a quality place.
31 Dec, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 11th comment:
I thought it would be a funny kick in the pants. =)
31 Dec, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 12th comment:
I remember when mudders called in "nochanneled". Then everyone starting dwindling back from WoW and it's become "muted".
31 Dec, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 13th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
I remember when mudders called in "nochanneled". Then everyone starting dwindling back from WoW and it's become "muted".

I never heard it called 'nochanneled'. It was always called 'silenced' on games I played.
31 Dec, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 14th comment:
I also always heard silenced.
01 Jan, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 15th comment:
Oh, my bad :)

01 Jan, 2011, Scandum wrote in the 16th comment:
I think silence is the default Merc command. Mute is a sneaky silence on my mud where the victim doesn't know they've been silenced.
01 Jan, 2011, Davion wrote in the 17th comment:
Must be a ROM Thing ™. nochanned where I'm from :).
01 Jan, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 18th comment:
Scandum said:
I think silence is the default Merc command. Mute is a sneaky silence on my mud where the victim doesn't know they've been silenced.

I have different grades of silence, but they always work that way - I don't see the point in letting someone know they've been silenced.
01 Jan, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 19th comment:
It can be considered polite to tell somebody that they're being punished, rather than stealth-punishment… we've seen a few times what good things come out of that in any case.
01 Jan, 2011, lockewarrior wrote in the 20th comment:
I recall 'nochannel', as well as gag, silence, and mute.

I think gag and mute sound like the person can use the channel, but you won't hear them.

Being silenced or nochanneled sounds like you lose the ability to speak on the channel period.
0.0/27