26 Jun, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So ever since the MUD list was added and the banners went up, I've been seeing banners for a MUD called "Shattered Balance". I'm not meaning to flame anyone, but, seriously… What? Sure, it sounds cool, but with the overall state of MUDs, no, of gaming in general these days, that name is far too likely to be an accurate description, which makes the thought of seeing the MUD behind it terrifying to me.

I'm sure that's not the only example, especially if you were to dig through Mudconnector's listings, but I'm too lazy to do it. Does anyone else care to share any interestingly offputting MUD names they've seen?

Note: I can't find the listing, but the banner is still in rotation:
26 Jun, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
I could never bring myself to check out the mud called "Project Bob".

Then of course there's "Bad Trip", the name of which is particularly unfortunate when you consider that the owner was caught selling in-game items to fund his drug habit…
26 Jun, 2007, Omega wrote in the 3rd comment:
don't forget about that sandstorm mud, sure it says its a sandstorm… but theres only 1 small desert on the world.!

I mean WTF are the creators up to! Making you think the whole world is a desert and blamo! Jungle everywhere..

(i felt like getting in on this conversation…..)
26 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
mijutsai - Quit while you're ahead. If you insist on trying to come here to start a fight, you'll find we're not as tolerant of useless name calling and personal attacks as other sites are.

Midboss wasn't being derogatory.

Oddly enough, the question of "offputting names" is something I've wondered about in the past too. There was a game once that went by the name "Aaaaardvaark" or something similar to it. I always thought it was stupid because the intent was to be #1 on an alphabetical list.

People have told me the name of mine, Alsherok, is equally stupid because it makes no sense. It wasn't supposed to. We made it up at random. It was chosen out of a larger pool of equally random and senseless names when we decided "Lands of Solan" wasn't for us anymore.
26 Jun, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 5th comment:
KaVir said:
I could never bring myself to check out the mud called "Project Bob".

Project Bob? What's offputting about that? Bob's a great guy, and so is Dave. We should all hang out some time.

KaVir said:
Then of course there's "Bad Trip", the name of which is particularly unfortunate when you consider that the owner was caught selling in-game items to fund his drug habit…

That's about the funniest thing I've heard all day. Though, to be fair, I should mention that I just woke up.

Darien said:
don't forget about that sandstorm mud, sure it says its a sandstorm… but theres only 1 small desert on the world.!

I mean WTF are the creators up to! Making you think the whole world is a desert and blamo! Jungle everywhere..

(i felt like getting in on this conversation…..)

Yeah, that was totally a dick move. Someone should call the owner on it. …wait a minute…

Yes, I'm completely ignoring mijutsai for believing this handle came from Metal Gear.

Samson said:
Oddly enough, the question of "offputting names" is something I've wondered about in the past too. There was a game once that went by the name "Aaaaardvaark" or something similar to it. I always thought it was stupid because the intent was to be #1 on an alphabetical list.

Aardvark has always scared me, because aardvarks freak me out. Seriously.
26 Jun, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
One wonders if there's much of substance at CheesyMud or FluffMuck.
Is Ill-tempered Realms a friendly mud? Is NannyMud a bit too friendly?

Cosmic Cuttlefish is a bit offputting, though I can't put my finger on why.
26 Jun, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 7th comment:
Please tell me Ill-tempered Realms doesn't exist. Please.
26 Jun, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
There's also a mud called "Your MUD Name Here".
26 Jun, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 9th comment:
i have a mud named 'hai2u' atm, (was just a coding project =P)
26 Jun, 2007, Hanaisse wrote in the 10th comment:
As I'm reading this thread I can see that banner at the top - funny coincidence.

I'd just like to say that I saw the humour in the original post and found it in no way derogatory against anyone. However (!) this thread might appear slightly intimidating for newbies like myself.

Please don't make fun of my MUD name. :wink:
27 Jun, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 11th comment:
kiasyn said:

Hah. Any chance you'll release the code so someone can do a deriv called "kthxbai"?
14 Jul, 2007, Chaos wrote in the 12th comment:
Now I'm wondering if there are people who haven't come to Lost Souls because they were uncomfortable with the thought of having their eternal spiritual essence removed…
14 Jul, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 13th comment:
Midboss said:
kiasyn said:

Hah. Any chance you'll release the code so someone can do a deriv called "kthxbai"?

actually i may have lost the code for this now. =(
23 Aug, 2007, Orignaux wrote in the 14th comment:
The Lost Souls name kind of creeped me out once before but I still wandered around it for a whole 5 minutes like I do with every other mud ever created. ;)
23 Aug, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 15th comment:
Samson said:

I've always felt the same way about .Dimension

In fact, any interest I ever had in playing that game would have been ruled out by what I feel to be a cheap naming tactic. It's entirely possible that there is, indeed, a theme relevant reason for doing that, but it at least comes across as a cheap tactic to be near the top of the list.

Thing is, I'm not sure if it irritates me more that it's really cheap, or that they thought of it before I did :p

Now, if it were a .Hack themed MUD or something like that, I'd be more forgiving, but I do find it frustrating how many games that begin with special characters or "Aa" to try to beat the alphabet. That is one thing that I appreciate about TMC's move to make the first name in the list of any category a random determination, rather than a game like .Dimension always being at the top.

Of course, with the 15 "preferred listings" now, that benefit is likely cancelled out.
23 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
Orignaux said:
The Lost Souls name kind of creeped me out once before but I still wandered around it for a whole 5 minutes like I do with every other mud ever created. ;)

Oh, that's very nice that you've checked out every mud ever created.. mine's been around since 1997, though it was down from 1998 to 2004 so I don't consider my mud to be 10 years old quite yet even though it was first started just over 10 years ago.. but I can't say that I recall having ever seen your name before, mind if I ask what name you did use?
23 Aug, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 17th comment:
Heh, I'd always just assumed .Dimension was .hack themed.

Yes, I'm completely ignoring mijutsai for believing this handle came from Metal Gear.

Oh dear? Midboss from Metal Gear Solid? Noooooooooo. Midboss is from one of the best SRPG's ever Disgaea!
23 Aug, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 18th comment:
Oh, and to stay on topic, I had a MUD running that was a private coding sandbox that I named "Mudder Fuggers" after a joke Osiris made a good while ago on TMC.
24 Aug, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 19th comment:
My latest project has the codename lola. Not too sure how off putting that will be.
24 Aug, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 20th comment:
Mine's named Dave. And for once I'm not kidding.
0.0/23