27 Nov, 2010, Hades_Kane wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I use good 'ol Windows XP, but I've heard people complain about issues with MUDing and Windows 7.

I assume this has to be figured out already, and probably something I should be aware of what to suggest.

I see that CMUD and MUSHclient both claim to work on Windows 7, are there other MUD clients I might be able to suggest to people in order to use? Is there any other issue I should be aware of besides just having a compatible MUD client?

Thanks in advance :)
27 Nov, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 2nd comment:
WinTin++ works alright if you're logged in as the Administrator as that'll give you write access to the Program Files directory. If administrative rights are an issue (work / anal parents) installing it in a directory with write access should do the trick, I think the same goes for other clients. There've been some reports of files being read and write from a weird directory, possibly C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\<appname>\ but I'm not too sure what is up with that.
27 Nov, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
The one thing I've learned to do with Windows 7 is to avoid installing anything that needs to manage its own files (games, Mud clients, etc.) in a stand-alone folder on the C:/ drive. This allows me to avoid having the issues most people have when it comes to Windows 7's strict control over not letting you fuck up essential files and ruining your install. However, since I currently have 2 versions of CMUD installed (regular release and a beta release), I have one installed to Program Files, and the other installed to the C:/ base directory to avoid conflicts. Both run fine with no issues, so I can personally say that CMUD does indeed work fine with Windows 7.
27 Nov, 2010, Kline wrote in the 4th comment:
My CMUD runs like a champ in Win7; and straight from Program Files (x86) without issue :)
27 Nov, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
I use Putty to ssh to my linux box, where I use screen + tinyfugue. YMMV. :)
02 Dec, 2010, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 6th comment:
Zmud works well enough on Windows 7 (I cannot for the hell of it understand cmud new way of managing inherited settings and variable , and since it cannot import my setting I gave up)
03 Dec, 2010, Hades_Kane wrote in the 7th comment:
I appreciate the tips! :D
04 Dec, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 8th comment:
Since Windows 7 is capable of XP virtualization, then you should, in theory, be able to run any MUD client that runs in Windows XP. I know that strategy worked for me with GMUD and my ancient copy of Zmud 5.55.

Edit: That is, of course, if straight XP compatibility mode won't work.
04 Dec, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 9th comment:
I think some of the griping heard regarding Windows Vista/7 and muds has to
do with the fact that you need to go through a couple extra steps to enable the
telnet command.

It's silly, since most people don't use that as their primary mud client.

But some folks will take any opportunity to bash Redmond.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
15 Dec, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 10th comment:
Cratylus said:
But some folks will take any opportunity to bash Redmond.

That I will.

Anyways, on Windows(7), I run zmud. Works pretty well. Just hate that the loading screen goes on my main monitor even though I run it on my secondary monitor.

Still haven't found a client for my Hackintosh yet. If any knows of a decent one, that'd be cool. Otherwise, I'll stick with the terminal.
15 Dec, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 11th comment:
I offer a universal Mac OS X binary for TinTin++.
16 Dec, 2010, Hades_Kane wrote in the 12th comment:
It's sounding like some of the complaints I've heard are unfounded… I've added some additional MUD Client links to some of my site information and such, though.

Thanks!
0.0/12