22 Aug, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello, I thought i would bring this to a community to ask you opinion of what I should do with MudDomain.com For many years it was a Mud Resource site and had modest traffic but nothing great. It hosted the MudDomain IMC2 Network before being handed over to become MudBytes IMC2 Network. Back in May I converted it to be a MudWIkie only to have MU*Wiki to begin to advertise a day before I was ready to launch :(. Now i'm toying with the Idea of creating a Mud Related Social Network. I have built a social network for another project I'm working on and have a very powerful engine to use that will dwarf what TMC has put out as there offering. Of course they have something I don't and that is traffic. Mud Domain still recieves over 2000 unique vistors a month for about 100,000 hits but not many contributions on the wiki and alot of spam to keep up with. So what do you guys think. Would it be worth building a social network as the New NEW MudDomain?
22 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 2nd comment:
*shrug* Do you think it'd be any better than TMCnet?
22 Aug, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yes, 100 times its a much more flexible platform. Will allow for file uploads, podcasting, bookmarks, forums, chat, profiles, friends, communities, and i'm sure other things i'm blocking on right now.
22 Aug, 2007, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
I'd say give it a shot and see what comes of it. From the sound of it you've already got more going for you than TMCNet does.
22 Aug, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 5th comment:
yeah i've actually got a fully working site up for another project and it's doing fairly well there thats what made me think it may work for muddomain. Just trying anything to make the domain just not sit idle. BTW i just re hosted imc2.org and it just has a link to mudbytes imc2 maybe that will help you in google ranks :)
23 Aug, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 6th comment:
Yes, 100 times its a much more flexible platform. Will allow for file uploads, podcasting, bookmarks, forums, chat, profiles, friends, communities, and i'm sure other things i'm blocking on right now.

• File Uploads
  • + 1
  • Podcasting
  • + 1
  • Bookmarks
  • TMCNET has this.
  • Forums
  • TMCNET technically has this as well.
  • Chat
  • Add a IM name in your profile and voila TMCNET has this.
  • Profiles
  • TmcNET has it…
  • Friends
  • TMCNET from my profile: You have 18 2-way friendships. There are 0 members that you have in your friends list which do not have you in their friends list. There are 0 members that list you as a friend which you do not have in your friends list. Yep that's right TMCNet has friends lists.
  • Communities
  • Guess what site has this? TMCNet

Okay, I'm not saying it's a bad idea but naming 8 features 6 of which the competitor has and saying you're 100 times better seems…funny.
    23 Aug, 2007, Dorian wrote in the 7th comment:
    Fizban said:
    Okay, I'm not saying it's a bad idea but naming 8 features 6 of which the competitor has and saying you're 100 times better seems…funny.

It's not like McDonalds and Burger King thrive today. Sure they have different products; but, AFAIC, they essentially have the same "features". Rarely do places thrive because they are unique. Typically, they thrive because they can provide a service with better quality than most of their competitors.
    23 Aug, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 8th comment:
    Fizban said:

Features aren't everything and that was just a list of a few I could think of off the top of my head at work last night there are many more. The interface for the systems is much nicer allows for more customization on the users part. The ability to expand is a big one. In my opinion the interface is what is going to make this more appealing. The problem is that TMC has a following and dragging some people over will be difficult.
    Hers is a little more indepth view of the feature set.
    Blogging
    Social networking
    File repositories for individuals and communities
    Podcast support
    Full access controls
    Supports tagging
    User profiles
    Community Profiles (could be used for a mud itself)
    Full RSS support
    RSS aggregator
    Create communities
    Collaborative community blogs
    Create 'friends' networks
    Import content
    Publish to blog
    Chat
    Forums
    PM'ing
    and more features that I add to it almost daily.
    23 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
    In any event, it'll be interesting to see what you decide to do with it.

(Not that I don't already have more daily websites to visit than I need..)
    23 Aug, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 10th comment:
    Conner said:
    In any event, it'll be interesting to see what you decide to do with it.

(Not that I don't already have more daily websites to visit than I need..)

Don't we all :)
    Anyway I think I am going to go ahead and begin to convert MudDomain over to the new format. I've got the site up in testing form and will proably switch soon starting with an invite only mode to work out any kinks.
    24 Aug, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
    *nod* indeed!

Sounds like a good plan, as I said, I, for one, will be curious to see how it turns out. :smile:
    05 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 12th comment:
    It seems MudDomain has messed up my avatar that I updated. >.> The background should be white.
    05 Sep, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 13th comment:
    Not sure why it would do that but I will look into it. What format was your image when you uploaded it? png?
    05 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 14th comment:
    It was a gif (not animated).
    05 Sep, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 15th comment:
    That is really odd Like i said i'll look into it
    0.0/15