26 Feb, 2007, Carus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello. I just registered and would like to ask for anyone's suggestions on a database for CoffeeMud. I use the included FakeDB but am finding that it has a fairly large delay (you can consciously count the seconds).

I've only just started with my MUD (i.e., in the past week!) so I don't think it's anything I've done (yet!).

Basically, is there a lean(er) fast(er) database which is just as easy for say, an idiot to use, as Fake is? Oh and one that's free/open source/GPL etc. :-)

Sorry for long initial post and thanks for any help.
26 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 2nd comment:
Use MySQL, or flatfile, save yourself time/effort :P
26 Feb, 2007, Carus wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hello! Thanks for the quick reply. Is MySQL suitable for me, being someone with absolutely no experience (or interest) in databases except in how they relate to a MUD? ;-p

I'll look into MySQL in any case. I'm stuck with Windows for now, I should have mentioned.

Cheers.
26 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 4th comment:
First of all, let me say "Welcome aboard, Carus!" :smile:

Second, being stuck with windows is a draw-back, but there are plenty of folks successfully using cygwin to get around that deficit, so you're still in good company. MySql is quite easily capable of far more than you're implying you'll ever want/need, but it's also fairly easy to use as far as database servers go, so, yes, it should be suitable for you.
26 Feb, 2007, Toraux wrote in the 5th comment:
My vote is for MySQL. Theres plenty of resources out there, and it has decent performance. I'm sure if your just starting with it you will probably need some some reference material, I found this when I was first starting to use mysql, it has a good list of commands for just about everything you ever need to do with MySQL. I hope that helps you a bit.
26 Feb, 2007, Justice wrote in the 6th comment:
As far as free databases go, I'd have to say that mysql is king. If you have no experience with databases it may take a little getting used to, but in the end it's worth it.
27 Feb, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 7th comment:
Not to follow the crowd but I like MySQL :D
27 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
I almost feel silly now, but MySQL all the way. Has good library support, and Java should be right at home with it.
27 Feb, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 9th comment:
Java Wrapper for SQLite - http://www.ch-werner.de/javasqlite/
SQLite - http://sqlite.org/
27 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 10th comment:
I started a trend!
27 Feb, 2007, Mabus wrote in the 11th comment:
Luckily for CoffeeMud users Bo has great documentation. If you have not read through the installation guide you can find it here.

Best of luck with your game.
27 Feb, 2007, Justice wrote in the 12th comment:
Darien said:
I started a trend!

I'd been using MySQL for a long long time. Although I work mostly in commercial databases now, MySQL is still quite useful for tasks that don't require certain constructs. I'm glad to hear they were working on support for things like subselects, although last I heard it was only in available in the commercial version.
04 Mar, 2007, Kelvin wrote in the 13th comment:
I really like SQLite. There's no additional overhead from context switching, it's very simple, and it's very fast for a text-based game. The overhead is a lot less than some of the bigger, more complex engines like MySQL and Postgres. You also don't need to run an actual server process or open up a port, which may or may not interest you.
10 Mar, 2007, Carus wrote in the 14th comment:
Hey thanks so much everyone, I wasn't expecting so much help!

I got sidetracked by RL (hate it when that happens heh) and only just thought to check back. Glad I did now!

Not sure if my game will ever be worth opening to the public, but it's slowly coming together - who knows. I'm enjoying the experience though. I first read about MUDs and MOOs (and MUSHes heh) a few years ago, I didn't have a computer but strangely enough, the impression I had in my mind (as I read the book) is actually close to my experiences so far with the real thing.

Thanks again for the feedback, I think that's the most help I've had from an initial post :)
10 Mar, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 15th comment:
Book? there's a book on MUDs?
10 Mar, 2007, Justice wrote in the 16th comment:
There's a few books on muds.
19 Aug, 2007, Vorlin wrote in the 17th comment:
Personally, I use PostgreSQL but databases are like anything else, you like what you start with (or absolutely hate it, hehe) and I've had good times with it. Heck, I've built several apps for work using it but MySQL would be my next choice. Long as it's not Oracle, rofl… Informix wouldn't be too bad but I don't know how much that's even in use anymore.
0.0/17