11 Oct, 2010, Crimson wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Smaugmuds.org is so dead this is actually a repost from there from like 3 days ago. x_x

Hello all I'm currently running SWFote 2.4 and have a few questions. I'm creating an original themed sci-fi mud and ive hit a couple road blocks trying to strip out all of the star wars stuff.

Well first I can't get wizlist to change permanently.

I've greped my src directory but I cant seem to find the actual file that contains the code that sets the "frame" for the wizlist that's created with make wizlist. At the moment it shows a large star wars banner and I'm trying to get rid of it.

Could someone point me to the correct file?

Also I'm looking to change the names of the weapon types, such as vibro-blades, blasters, force pikes, etc.
And also I want to add new ones. I've seen a few files that mentioned them but I cant find which ones set the names and stats for weapons.

And well my last question is a little tougher. lol

Has anyone ever coded in combat for ground vehicles in SWR and just how daunting of a task would that be? I'm willing to try if it's plausible.

Like having vehicles with mounted wepaons that you could shoot and could shoot you and engage in full combat. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Help is much appreciated!
12 Oct, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
For Wizlist, follow what do_wizlist calls. I don't know offhand, but in Smaug it's something like make_wizlist.

What do you mean stats for weapons? Isn't that determined by the actual object?
12 Oct, 2010, Ludwig wrote in the 3rd comment:
I'm just curious, why did you choose SWFotE as a codebase?
12 Oct, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 4th comment:
Crimson said:
Smaugmuds.org is so dead this is actually a repost from there from like 3 days ago. x_x

It's not dead. I read your post, I just haven't had time to sit down and answer your questions yet because I've been swamped with Baby stuff, and job interviews.

Crimson said:
Well first I can't get wizlist to change permanently.

I've greped my src directory but I cant seem to find the actual file that contains the code that sets the "frame" for the wizlist that's created with make wizlist. At the moment it shows a large star wars banner and I'm trying to get rid of it.

Could someone point me to the correct file?

You're going to need to look in db.c, at void towizfile( const char *line, bool Border ) and void make_wizlist( ).

Crimson said:
Also I'm looking to change the names of the weapon types, such as vibro-blades, blasters, force pikes, etc.
And also I want to add new ones. I've seen a few files that mentioned them but I cant find which ones set the names and stats for weapons.

Weapons is a bit more invasive. You're going to need to look for anything with the WEAPON_ prefix, like WEAPON_BLASTER, etc. And modify all of those to how you want them to work. As for changing the names, that's going to happen in skills.dat and build.c ( const char *const weapon_table[13] ).

Crimson said:
Has anyone ever coded in combat for ground vehicles in SWR and just how daunting of a task would that be? I'm willing to try if it's plausible.
Like having vehicles with mounted wepaons that you could shoot and could shoot you and engage in full combat. Any thoughts?

I've never seen full combat done, but it couldn't be all that different from space combat.
12 Oct, 2010, Crimson wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks for the help guys. :biggrin:

You're going to need to look in db.c, at void towizfile( const char *line, bool Border ) and void make_wizlist( ).

I managed to find the wizlist builder and finally wrestled down that Star Wars banner. But for some reason even though I've deleted the default immortal account "User" it still adds it as an admin whenever I do makewizlist. Even made sure his pfile was gone.

It's not dead. I read your post, I just haven't had time to sit down and answer your questions yet because I've been swamped with Baby stuff, and job interviews.

Glad to hear smaugmuds.org is still monitored, it's a great resource for SWR and SWFote specific info. And gratz on the baby girl! I imagine you don't get much sleep at the moment?

I'm just curious, why did you choose SWFotE as a codebase?

Well the main reason I went with SWFote is the advanced space system. The combat and interaction for space in general(new weapons, cargo hauling, etc.) already has alot more variety than original SWR and as I'm still learning I figured it would be the best to expand off of. Much more of a "template" to work with. I plan on alot of my MUD taking place in space. Wherether it be through random events like pirate attacks or wormholes opening up to unknown regions filled with baddies and treasures.

(Er, how do you add people's names to quotes?)
12 Oct, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 6th comment:
Crimson said:
I managed to find the wizlist builder and finally wrestled down that Star Wars banner. But for some reason even though I've deleted the default immortal account "User" it still adds it as an admin whenever I do makewizlist. Even made sure his pfile was gone.

Make sure the God file is gone too. Those are stored in the gods/ directory.

Crimson said:
And gratz on the baby girl! I imagine you don't get much sleep at the moment?

Thank you, and no, not much sleep at the moment.

Crimson said:

Name said:
Stuff here.
Without spaces.
12 Oct, 2010, ATT_Turan wrote in the 7th comment:
Kayle said:
Crimson said:

Name said:
Stuff here.
Without spaces.

Also by clicking the Quote button on a post.
13 Oct, 2010, Crimson wrote in the 8th comment:
Wizlist solved. Thanks. :biggrin:

So I'm planning on installing a few patches to get some practice with the syntax and to get used to the code.

I'm trying to install the SWR account snippet from the code repository. Problem is I don't know how to run a patch file. :stare:

Also anyone forsee any problems I might have trying to install this patch on SWFote?
13 Oct, 2010, Bobo the bee wrote in the 9th comment:
Crimson said:

I haven't done it, but I have looked at a SWR code – as Kayle said, I can't imagine it being too hard, though I'd think that it'd be more akin to normal fighting code than the space code (keep in mind this in an opinion formed of SWR, not SWFote). I know the SWRs I played on already had land-vehicles built in, so I couldn't imagine it being that difficult to add weapons to a vehicle and let people shoot to/from a vehicle.
14 Oct, 2010, Ludwig wrote in the 10th comment:
From the fotes I've seen, land vehicles ARE ships, except they can't fly and have empty weapon slots. For simple land combat, just let ships (which includes vehicles) "target" and fire on other ships in the same room.
15 Oct, 2010, Crimson wrote in the 11th comment:
Ludwig said:
From the fotes I've seen, land vehicles ARE ships, except they can't fly and have empty weapon slots. For simple land combat, just let ships (which includes vehicles) "target" and fire on other ships in the same room.

You know when you put it that way it sounds alot simpler. I figured I was gonna have to write in a whole new health system, weapons, everything, but really I just need to add in some stuff that handles ground firing with the current system. :biggrin:

One thing I'm gonna have to worry about though is adding in a system that allows players to actually fire on the vehicles, and allow vehicles to fire on players, cause it really wouldn't be complete otherwise. And turning the current launcher system into anti armor missile launchers would be just plain fun. :lol:

Currently I'm trying to hand patch the SwFote accounts snippet. And I can see where it says what file to put the code sections into. But I have no idea what line they go on or where in the file they go. Is there some kind of indicator in the patch I'm missing?
0.0/11