07 Oct, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Grumny said:
To be blunt, if you have the skills and talent to write stories, why do you need to copy someone else's character and RP to make your story? If you don't have the talent and skills to write stories, then I don't think copying someone else's character and RP is going to help.

The one thing in particular that came to mind were world changing RP events, such as staging a coup to usurp rule of a country, or something similar. I wasn't really considering anything like normal roleplay between some friends talking about some big adventure but more the political trappings of world level RP such as wars, coups, and things like that. I won't claim that I'm a great author, but I like to think I have the skills and creativity to generate my own stories, however, large Rp events like wars, coups, or what have you would make excellent installments in a book series, or even a single book, and I was just wondering what kinds of things I could expect if I were to ever finish the book(s), and drew inspiration from the players of the MUD, or what not.

What I've gotten from this thread so far is that the safest route is to take events from the world, sanitize the names and use the events as a guideline, rather than a master plan. Which is honestly something I probably would have done anyway, I mean, I've seen some of the names people use, and they don't really mesh well with the names of the other characters of the book.
08 Oct, 2010, Grumny wrote in the 22nd comment:
Then it sounds like you'll be OK. I'd recommend checking this out…

How to legally and ethically steal ideas...

The link isn't about muds or anything, but the advice in there should be applicable.

Grumny
02 Nov, 2010, StdErr wrote in the 23rd comment:
I would never presume to know my players' characters better than they do, and would be uncomfortable trying to write them without claiming them for myself. So long as you mention the events as history and don't try to write the characters (perhaps you could get the players to look over the dialogue and give suggestions), you could have quite an interesting pre-made setting for your story.
20.0/23