22 Sep, 2010, Rag wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I am looking for a coder to help ''me'' code a Dragonball mud. Also looking for a few builders to give me a hand on building i will also build.
Stop by Frostmud.com port 8014.
–Rag–
01 Oct, 2010, Sorressean wrote in the 2nd comment:
Another dbz mud? Can I ask (so you may help those who are looking at this), what's going to be so different about your own dbz mud? Why don't you go apply to be a builder on another as opposed to opening up yet one more?
06 Oct, 2010, Rag wrote in the 3rd comment:
another DBZ mud? all the circle dbz muds are dead…Only 2 DBZ circle mud that is active is DBE and DBA…so if you think 2 DBZ muds is alot then you are slow…But thanks for you little comment..
06 Oct, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 4th comment:
Theres a virtual plethora of them out there. I think theyre only trumped by furry mushes in the niche mud market.

Maya/Rudha
06 Oct, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
I don't know how many are active but it does seem like a new one crops up every few weeks at the least, judging only from requests for staff here. If you assume that the MUD world is bigger than just here (shocking!) then it would not be unreasonable to think that new ones open every week. Of course, most of them probably close within a few weeks, too…
06 Oct, 2010, Dean wrote in the 6th comment:
Rag said:
another DBZ mud? all the circle dbz muds are dead…Only 2 DBZ circle mud that is active is DBE and DBA…so if you think 2 DBZ muds is alot then you are slow…But thanks for you little comment..

Sorressean's post was actually informative and helpful. The questions he posed, had you chosen to answer them, could have improved your chances of finding staff. It's rare enough to actually find good help, your chances are even less so when the post contains very little at all about the project followed by the MUD's address.

I no longer have a vested interest in the theme, but from personal experience, I'll go on record as saying yes, that is a lot. Of the two active circle MUDs (DBE & DBAT) out there, a reasonable figure of their player bases are "shared", that is to say, players either play both MUDs or rotate between the two depending on the tides.

David Haley said:
I don't know how many are active but it does seem like a new one crops up every few weeks at the least, judging only from requests for staff here. If you assume that the MUD world is bigger than just here (shocking!) then it would not be unreasonable to think that new ones open every week. Of course, most of them probably close within a few weeks, too…

Depends on how one would define an active MUD. The rate of their appearance and (for most) proceeding closure, isn't too far from the truth at all.
06 Oct, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 7th comment:
My proposal to new admins is this:

Instead of expecting a programmer to spend time on yet another dbz mud, maybe you should consider asking for specific help
on a given feature or system. In other words, you might get a better response from saying "I need real quick help with implementing a 'Quest' system in my
[blank] codebase, using [blank] compiler / version.", or something along those lines.

Otherwise, instead of asking for help with 1 or 2 features, you are making your entire codebase their new problem. I don't have a problem with classic
or even popular ideas for codebases, but if you arent offering specifics it just doesn't appeal to anyone.

Now, if you were to say to me personally: "Can you help me by adding [blank]" I would be able to give you a better answer. :biggrin:

EDIT: Woah, deja vu
08 Oct, 2010, Sorressean wrote in the 8th comment:
Rag,
First: I was trying to help you. If you wish to throw insults at me, please make sure they're using decent grammar, and you don't require Pakman to clean your post up.

I notice there are a lot of people who want coders, but have no idea of how to code themselves, and this sort of confuses me. If you want good code, why not learn yourself? I'm not quite sure what the idea of asking for a coder is, as you have to rely on them to create the ideas you want.
08 Oct, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 9th comment:
Sorressean said:
I'm not quite sure what the idea of asking for a coder is, as you have to rely on them to create the ideas you want.

Because some people want a game but don't have the inclination to code, for whatever reason. Your problem and solution are in the same sentence.
08 Oct, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Sorressean said:
If you want good code, why not learn yourself? I'm not quite sure what the idea of asking for a coder is, as you have to rely on them to create the ideas you want.

It's much more efficient to divide and conquer the tasks. There's enough work involved in running a MUD as-is without having to learn how to do absolutely everything yourself. Learning to code is hard. If you don't know how to code, it doesn't necessarily make sense to learn how – assuming you actually have something to bring to the table to convince coders to join your team. Now, of course, if you don't have enough to convince other people it's worth their time to work with you, you have no other choice but to learn to code yourself…
0.0/10