28 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
It's not ego really, but fear of being called down. Its bad enough I try for a month and have just enough understanding to get by. But I really don't like to keep bugging someone, that's my nature.

Ok so its the room attribute, I'll check this out and thanks David
and I'll do whatever you guys say but It may take more questions, and I'm sure you have other questions from others to answer. As well as I try the answer and even that isn't enough sometimes, I figure it out eventually but hours later.

I think it was the 8th occurrence of 'room' on the page; did you see the 'room' attribute? If so, that is the answer to your question.
01 Oct, 2010, Sorressean wrote in the 22nd comment:
I can see both sides of the argument here, but I tend to lean toward the "irc crew," a bit more.

So, here are my suggestions.
First, when you find a problem, don't jump here, as David stated, rather play with it. Look at what me is; it's an object. Read some python docs, because you don't seem to have grasped string concatenation.

Python has some very good tutorials and documentation at python.org. Take a step away from Nakedmud and learn python. whether you think you know it or not, someone with knowledge of a specific language and the workings can take that knowledge and apply it to a project.

Second, when someone helps you, read, re-read, and read again that post. Learn to copy and paste, try it out. If it still doesn't work, explain why. Don't just run off to your corner with your text editor, frantically feed it some code that may or may not be correct, then come back and tell us it doesn't work when working code was provided. Compare what you have to the example.
Instead of "This doesn't work!" <insert horrible altered versions of previous code here>. Compare the code. If you want to know why something is doing something, ask.

I think what people want is you to take more time to think about your questions to answer them. I can't say we here, as I haven't contributed to questions, but the "NM irc crew," takes time to answer questions. Not because they "want to piss on people," but because they want to help, and I have seen such help given in irc.

So, in summary. Read the python tutorials. I don't care if you think you know python, because your questions make it clear you don't. Practice with it, then re-read yet again. Practice some more. Build something cool. Then dive into NM. Read the API docs. Absorb. Re-read the API docs, absorb again.

When something goes boom, don't follow your first impulse to post to a forum, but play with it. You will learn more through reading of documentation and experimentation than you will by asking for someone to give you code, or expecting the code to be given.

We all need to start somewhere, but programming is and never will be easy. It requires practice, effort and the willingness to help yourself. If you have questions, that's great. but make sure said questions show that you've taken the time to think things through, you've read your compiler/interpreter errors, and you are really and truely lost.

Now that I've thrown in my $0.02, I'm going to jump off the soapbox.
01 Oct, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 23rd comment:
I don't think coping all that is really necessary ;)
Thank's Sorressean, good advice, in the meantime I'm taking a break from NM for a while, for a few days. Doing other things then "focusing" on just it which is tedious at best for me.

I suppose more hours playing with code should be devoted at least in NM but the bigger picture here is play with Python forget NM for a while, I'll do that.
Besides, video games keep my mind away for the moment, hope to start fresh soon with python or NM.

All and all I'm looking foward to the future, haven't given up on making a MUD.
20.0/23