17 Sep, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
This Sunday (19th September) is International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Is anyone planning to run a pirate-themed event? I quite fancy doing something, but I'm not sure what, and don't want to invest too much time into a one-day thing.

Perhaps something simple involving pirate ships, rum, and buried treasure…
17 Sep, 2010, Grumny wrote in the 2nd comment:
Well, I haven't talked to Keriwena, but, we actually have a pirate class available. If people wanna come hang out as pirates for the day, you are more than welcome. We'd be happy to have you.
17 Sep, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 3rd comment:
Aaarrr, matey! I may take you up on that offer, but I was really thinking of events I could run on my own mud. So far I've come up with a simple text replacement function I plan to use for public channels, which literally makes people talk like a pirate, and some ideas for pirate-themed event-spawned mobs:

1) A pirate ship carrying booty. Sink the ship and steal the loot.

2) A band of pirates carrying a treasure chest (they're looking for somewhere to bury it) and singing "a pirate's life for me".

3) Buried treasure (not sure how this'll work yet).

4) A giant parrot (a bit tacky, but I can reuse the dire owl mob and just rename it).

Not sure what else…maybe some sort of pirate lord with a lootable special weapon? Could have a "rescue the girl from the pirates" event too I suppose, and perhaps something with a pirate stronghold.

I'm feeling a bit short on inspiration right now though, and was wondering if there were any good ideas I could pinch ;)
17 Sep, 2010, Grumny wrote in the 4th comment:
Oh, I was intentionally misinterpreting :p

Hmm, nice things about events like this that are actually coded in. You never know when something may become really useful later with only a little tweaking.

I kinda like the rescue the girl kinda thing. Maybe you can give everyone a pirate costume, and treat it like a capture the flag game. Make the girl mob, then an object that she is linked to so she will follow whoever has it, make it lootable.

Second idea. This may actually work better in your movement system than dikurivatives. Make a pirates treasure map. That will send players to the first clue for the treasure hunt. XXX paces east, yyy paces north. Things like that.
17 Sep, 2010, Dean wrote in the 5th comment:
KaVir said:

Is anyone planning to run a pirate-themed event? I quite fancy doing something, but I'm not sure what, and don't want to invest too much time into a one-day thing.

You had me at rum.
17 Sep, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 6th comment:
Dean said:
KaVir said:

Seconded..

You had me at rum.
17 Sep, 2010, Tavish wrote in the 7th comment:
Maybe replace everyone's offhand with a hook. No dual wielding for the day!
17 Sep, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 8th comment:
KaVir said:
3) Buried treasure (not sure how this'll work yet).

This could be achieved through a 'depth' variable on objects.. If it's 0, then it's on the ground, -1 in the dirt, -5 DEEPLY buried. If it's < 0 then you couldn't "see" the object even though it's still right there. Then you could give players a dig command and let them dig it up.
0.0/8