20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been cleaning my room and rearranging some things (one of which happened to be my modem). I turn my computer on and restart my MUD's server and everything loads fine. I turn on my client and wam my MUD won't boot up. I restarted my modem and the same things happens. I restard my computer and modem and still the same thing. I even went as far to think that something broke some how in my files so I backed up my player files and city files then reinstalled the stock. Still… It won't work.

I'm thinking that something got really f*cked when I unhooked my modem and now my IP is messed up some how. Also, I've tried to start my MUD using the telnet client and still nothing.

Can anyone tell me how this happened or how to fix it?

Thanks.
20 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
What exactly is the problem: your MUD won't boot, or you can't connect to it using the same IP? You don't "start the MUD" using telnet; you connect to a running MUD using telnet. If telnet fails to connect, it means that the connection could not be opened, which could be because there's nothing listening (i.e. the MUD is down) or the networking has failed.

Is your MUD hosted on your computer, or a VM on your computer, or a server somewhere else?

Can you connect using your local IP, 127.0.0.1?
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yes you do 'start the mud'. I meant when you use telnet that yes you do CONNECT to the mud… Anyways.

Yes, I can CONNECT to it with the local host. It is a networking problem. I just have no clue what happened. I rechecked my IP and it's the same and I disabled my firewall to see if it was blocking it, but that won't work either.
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 4th comment:
I forgot - yes, it's ran off of my computer.
20 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Wait, I'm sorry, but you're not making sense. You can connect, but it's a networking problem? Can you be a little more precise please? I know that it's frustrating to have a problem you don't understand, but you need to take things slowly and debug them methodically. Giving us the most precise information possible will help us help you.
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 6th comment:
…>
I said I cannot connect using my IP address which is 173.28.12.230 I can connect with the local host 127.0.0.1
Before I unplugged my modem it was running fine on the 173.28.12.230
I've tried restarting my modem, computer, and disabling my firewall.
<…
20 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 7th comment:
Ghost, unless you have the MUD as part of your startup script, you need to run it again when you restart the computer. Please verify the MUD server is running and bound successfully to a port, and that this port is not blocked by a firewall or any router setup you may be running.

Also, be advised: many consumer-level ISPs do not allow running servers on them. You may be in contravention of your Terms of Service if you are running this from a home compute.

Maya/Rudha
20 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
If you restarted the router (presumably your cable modem is a router), you might have accidentally cleared port forwarding. I would check your port forwarding.

I would also double-check that your IP address is in fact 173.28.12.230.
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 9th comment:
My port is running on 6666 it's been up and running for a week now with no problems. The problem came up when I unplugged my modem…
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 10th comment:
I have rechecked my ip address many times before I posted one single thing about this and I also double-checked my port forwarding twice before posting anything.
20 Aug, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 11th comment:
GhostInAProgram said:
…>
I said I cannot connect using my IP address which is 173.28.12.230 I can connect with the local host 127.0.0.1
<…

I would expect that everytime you lose connection with your service provider and reconnect you are assigned different IP address.
20 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
My port is running on 6666 it's been up and running for a week now with no problems. The problem came up when I unplugged my modem…

Did you or did you not check that port forwarding is still enabled?
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 13th comment:
Tyche said:
GhostInAProgram said:
…>
<…

Why does it show that my IP is the same then?

I would expect that everytime you lose connection with your service provider and reconnect you are assigned different IP address.
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 14th comment:
David Haley said:

Did you or did you not check that port forwarding is still enabled?

If you're talking about me going to the 192.168.1.1 page -> apps then yes it is all checked and fine.
20 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:

What is "it"?
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 16th comment:
David Haley said:

What is "it"?

"It" is whatismyip.com
20 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
Dunno then. If you:
- are connecting to the right IP
- are connecting to the right port
- have enabled port forwarding on the router
- have made sure that no firewalls are blocking connections
- have brought up a server on that port
then everything should work. I'm not sure if you're telling us everything here, and it sounds like you're making lots of quasi-random changes to lots of different places, which will cause confusion. It would be good to go back to square one and very carefully, deliberately and methodically check the above requirements – stop rebooting things unless you're absolutely sure that you have to, and every time you reboot, go through the above steps again.
20 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 18th comment:
Tyche said:

This is very, very likely the case with the majority of consumer-level ISPs.

Maya/Rudha
20 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 19th comment:
David Haley said:
Dunno then. If you:
- are connecting to the right IP
- are connecting to the right port
- have enabled port forwarding on the router
- have made sure that no firewalls are blocking connections
- have brought up a server on that port
then everything should work. I'm not sure if you're telling us everything here, and it sounds like you're making lots of quasi-random changes to lots of different places, which will cause confusion. It would be good to go back to square one and very carefully, deliberately and methodically check the above requirements – stop rebooting things unless you're absolutely sure that you have to, and every time you reboot, go through the above steps again.

Well back when I was first setting my MUD up I was talking to Sinistrad (I think his name is) and he ran me through some stuff that I did in the cmd. Maybe I should recheck it there and make sure things are put together right, but I forgot the steps that he had me go through to find out what I needed to forward it. I know that I have a 192.168.1.104 that's used for my port forwarding so maybe the 104 changed?
20 Aug, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 20th comment:
GhostInAProgram said:
I know that I have a 192.168.1.104 that's used for my port forwarding so maybe the 104 changed?

Could be. Most routers are configured to use DHCP to auto assign local IPs (LAN side). Most of them also allow you to configure them reserve a specific local IP for a given MAC address. You should look into that. If your IP is 104 I would presume you have a router and are sharing it with mom or little sister. They probably globbed onto the IP that you were using.
0.0/26